Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Sep 20, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #7,486 of 9,899
Thank you for the advice everyone. It turns out the power is basic "hospital grade" cord and I can't really see any damage to it. Working with justin to replace in the input block as voltage does not get past the iec connector, with hopefully no damage down the line...

Sounds good Arnaud. Hopefully you will be back and working very soon now. Being without your BHSE must be horrible. I use my system everyday, and feel separation anxiety if not.

Keep use posted.

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #7,488 of 9,899
  500 pages reached! Congratulations, thread!

A testimony of an outstanding product.

Yes an outstanding product, I love the amp as my friend has one. However, don't get too excited about the 500 pages, more than half are people beefing over the delivery dates. Wish folk would just shut up and keep conversations about the amp itself.

Sep 21, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #7,489 of 9,899
Quote:astrostar59

500 pages reached! Congratulations, thread!

A testimony of an outstanding product.

Yes an outstanding product, I love the amp as my friend has one. However, don't get too excited about the 500 pages, more than half are people beefing over the delivery dates. Wish folk would just shut up and keep conversations about the amp itself.

5 pages reached! Congratulations, thread (after the gripe posts have been deleted)....!!

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #7,490 of 9,899
  5 pages reached! Congratulations, thread (after the gripe posts have been deleted)....!!

LOL.

Seriously though the BHSE is a great amp and sounds fantastic. I would buy one in an instant if I wasn't downsizing my tube power amps to SS. The BHSE won't be sold forever, so get in there now is my advice...

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #7,491 of 9,899
 I would buy one in an instant ...

Ah, but if most of the posts on this thread are to be believed, you couldn't buy one in an instant, unless 1.5 years +- .75 years counts as an instant  
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #7,492 of 9,899
Ha Ha you are correct. But like many super cars you have to wait. I think McLaren 650 Spider it is 1.5 years. These things that are game changers are on a waiting list. Anyway, folk will appreciate it more? 

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #7,495 of 9,899
@ paradoxper,

Thought it best to write this post on the BHSE thread, which is.

I have two quads of Mullard xf4's, ( which I got both from the same place ) so they should last me a very long time, and more so when I get a KGSSHV Carbon.
So my comment about NOS tubes at sometime becomng no longer available wasn't aimed at myself.

I've also been told that Mullard wouldn't give away any of their secrets on how they built their tubes, so the chance modern day tubes will sound better than Mullard / Philips, is probably unlikely.

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #7,498 of 9,899
      "What tubes in the BHSE would be best when using the Stax SR-007 MKI?"

That's easy: The vintage Phillips Metal Bases are best for the 007 Mk1. They are also best for the 009s [1].

At a MUCH more affordable price, the vintage Dutch XF3/4 DDs are also equally good for both 007 Mk1 and 009 [1].

[1] The caveat here is that I've never felt that the 009's treble needed taming, and I've never felt that the 007's needed any kind of upper-mid or treble boost.
To me these phones principle characteristics go beyond simple tone considerations and I've always accepted each one for what they are.
They both respond equally well to any component upgrade that improves clarity and transparency.

If you're the sort that finds either of these phones significantly lacking in tonal considerations, then my advice may not apply to you. 

Sep 27, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #7,499 of 9,899
I'm starting to think about where I'll put my BHSE. I'm wondering just how hot it will get above the unit? The placement I'm considering  would give the BHSE about three inches of clearance above. There would be a glass shelf 3" above it on which my TV rests. Good clearance on all other sides. I have other options, but that would be the most convenient as long as I don't end up frying the BHSE or baking my TV. Would this work ok?

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #7,500 of 9,899
I'm starting to think about where I'll put my BHSE. I'm wondering just how hot it will get above the unit? The placement I'm considering  would give the BHSE about three inches of clearance above. There would be a glass shelf 3" above it on which my TV rests. Good clearance on all other sides. I have other options, but that would be the most convenient as long as I don't end up frying the BHSE or baking my TV. Would this work ok?

Both the amp unit and PSU don't get as hot as some might think, but the tubes do get very hot, so i think it advisable to have plenty of room for ventilation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back