Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Feb 25, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #6,903 of 9,888
Regarding the different 007 Versions Spritzer once wrote the Following (and also in order of Preference)

SR-007 Mk1 early version - different driver frame plus some minor material changes, older style carbon fiber box.

SR-007 Mk1 late version - the most common of the Mk1's, S/N either 7xxxx or SZ1-xxxx

SR-007A/SR-007Mk2 - S/N SZ2-xxxx, Stax change the earpads, how they sit and introduce a port to the earcups. Sound is a mixed bag depending on fit but can be fixed to sound pretty much like the Mk1.

SR-007A/SR-007Mk2 - S/N SZ3-xxxx, often called the Mk2.5, Stax supposedly change the diaphragm which results in a much more forward sound signature.

After listening to quite a number of them I wholeheartidly agree. Now I have a verry early one (from 98) with the MK2 Pads and I prefer it on my BHSE to the 009 while my SZ1 was slightly inferior. Birgir is just selling a similar one on his site.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #6,904 of 9,888

Agree, which is why I just ordered a SR009! 

By endgame I mean endgame for me. To tell the honest truth I'm perfectly happy with my 307/323S. The 009 will be way better I'm sure, and importantly way more comfortable. And I'm in the middle of building a KGSSHV, KGST and Megatron, plus I have a BHSE on order! Those will be better too - but frankly if I had to live with my 307's from now on I'd be perfectly fine with that. I'm just upgrading because - why not? - and because it's not that unreasonably priced.  

If Sennheiser comes out with a 'stat I might get it, just to add to the collection and for comparison. But if they do it'd probably be another boutique insanely priced unit like the Orpheus - and didn't Sennheiser have one of those on display at CES this year? Huh. 

Nice set of amps that you will have to spoil your Stax.  My favorite is obviously the T2 following by the BHSE then KGSSHVs.

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #6,908 of 9,888
Of course the unobtanium amp is the best one! Oh there's one on eBay right now for $22k, sure ... :)
I think the seller is Wiktor who is fanous/infamous for his collection of Orpheuses, Omegas etc. Does anyone know what earned him the infamy, it any?

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #6,909 of 9,888
I think the seller is Wiktor who is fanous/infamous for his collection of Orpheuses, Omegas etc. Does anyone know what earned him the infamy, it any?

Interesting, I did some searching and it seems that he is known to deal in high end 'stat headphones (Orpheus/T2) and resell them at extremely high prices (including extremely high shipping as in these auctions). There was some allegation that he tried to sell a DIY job as original, but others deny it. 

Anyhow, I hate the whole "unobtanium" game in audio. I'd like to get a pair of 4070's I can use at work, and ... unobtanium. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #6,910 of 9,888
  Nice set of amps that you will have to spoil your Stax.  My favorite is obviously the T2 following by the BHSE then KGSSHVs.

Interesting. I think myself the BHSE and my KGSShv are on par for different reasons. The BHSE with PSVanes sound more organic and realistic in the vocals and strings, but my KGSShv sounds more impressive and fuller / warmer on Rock and Electronic music.
The difference I experienced was subtle, quite close (at David's house with his BHSE and my KGSShv).

It seemed more of flavour rather than quality leap, no amp was better IMO. A bit like 2 red wines that are both great but taste different. For me, I am happy with the KGSShv being warmer with my 009s, and I like to leave it on when I go out, not stress over tubes going south.

Having said all that, if I had a full wallet, I would have both for the above reasons.

With ref to earlier posts yesterday about the (excellent) built I think it is remarkable as it is hand built, not by a robot like Esoteric gear (PCB and components).

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #6,911 of 9,888

Interesting, I did some searching and it seems that he is known to deal in high end 'stat headphones (Orpheus/T2) and resell them at extremely high prices (including extremely high shipping as in these auctions). There was some allegation that he tried to sell a DIY job as original, but others deny it. 

Anyhow, I hate the whole "unobtanium" game in audio. I'd like to get a pair of 4070's I can use at work, and ... unobtanium. 

Of course the unobtanium amp is the best one! Oh there's one on eBay right now for $22k, sure ... :)

I meant to say a DIY T2 not the original SRM-T2.  I think Wiktor markups are quite high.  Plus HE90 parts are still available from Sennheiser.

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #6,912 of 9,888
He was banned from head-fi...there were allegations of "flipping" going on that I have read about.

Someone else here might know more of the details...not that we really need to get into it any more than this....

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #6,913 of 9,888
  He was banned from head-fi...there were allegations of "flipping" going on that I have read about.

Someone else here might know more of the details...not that we really need to get into it any more than this....

What's wrong with flipping? If somebody wants to act as a broker I don't see why Head Fi should get on their high horse about it. Anyhow, agree with the sentiment that it's worth dropping the point. 

On the KGSSHV/BHSE/Megatron/KGST, frankly I'll be surprised if I find much difference between them. Not interested in that level of audiophilia obsessiveness. To me the lowly SR-307 is so far above the rest that we're already at the pinnacle, after this I'm guessing it's window dressing. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #6,914 of 9,888

What's wrong with flipping? If somebody wants to act as a broker I don't see why Head Fi should get on their high horse about it. Anyhow, agree with the sentiment that it's worth dropping the point.

On the KGSSHV/BHSE/Megatron/KGST, frankly I'll be surprised if I find much difference between them. Not interested in that level of audiophilia obsessiveness. To me the lowly SR-307 is so far above the rest that we're already at the pinnacle, after this I'm guessing it's window dressing.

On point one, just check the for sale forum rules.

On point two, if you don't find much difference and are of the view that the 307 is the pinnacle minus the window dressing, then you are very very lucky (I have the 307 and quite like it, but the pinnacle it is not, to me at least). Though not sure why you ordered the bhse if you are building all these other amps that you are unlikely to discern any difference with.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #6,915 of 9,888
  Amp came today, extremely pleased.  Great work Justin, worth every second and penny.

Order Date: April 20, 2013
Received Date: Feb 20, 2015

Well that's interesting....

Me:

Located: USA
Order Date: January 2013
Received Date: still waiting....

Hmmm, what is going on here. Why are we in the USA with similar builds not receiving our orders sequentially? I am happy for jm1122 of course but seems people are (randomly) jumping the line in the same queue?? In case anyone is wondering I have nothing special in terms of customization (i.e. silver color)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back