Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Sep 3, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #5,928 of 9,899

My order of preference (respective of cost):

Mullard XF2-OO (best detail and overall presentation - pricey)
Mullard XF3 (I think best soundstage - good used ones are a great value)
Mesa Boogie (BLU) (best price performance ratio - still early for reliability)
Psvane PH (great sound but too many reliability issues - won't buy these again)
ShuguangTreasures (better than stock tubes - not worth the price if you can find used XF3/XF4)
RFT (still on the fence with these - been using them again and can't decide)
SED (didn't warm up to them, maybe I didn't give them enough break-in time)
Mullard Reissue (so long ago I don't remember, just knew I had to try something else)

My genuine opinion is anyone who owns the BHSE should invest in at least 1 quad of NOS or Used Mullard XF2/XF3/XF4. Don't have to use them all the time, but they're nice to have around.

To BHSE tube testers: has anyone heard about the new Sophia Electric EL34 tubes (http://www.sophiaelectric.com/ , first page of Aug 23 update)? Do you intend to try them? Their 300B look is interesting in itself.

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #5,929 of 9,899
And more on tubes: has anyone tried some good RFT on the BHSE? I'm using now (on a different amp though) and they are very very good, in some aspects I prefer them to the 1974 Tesla I usually use. My RFT are short base, 1964 dated and have such a liquid, smooth and grain free midrange, retaining strong bass and airy top-end.

Sep 4, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #5,930 of 9,899
I use RFTs in my Megatron and I have no complaints

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #5,931 of 9,899

To BHSE tube testers: has anyone heard about the new Sophia Electric EL34 tubes (http://www.sophiaelectric.com/ , first page of Aug 23 update)? Do you intend to try them? Their 300B look is interesting in itself.

These tubes are used in the Audio Note Kits EL34 Monoblocks amplifiers, and are great sounding tubes with a good reliability record.

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #5,932 of 9,899

I will send out tracking #s when the packages are shipped. Delivery to France will probably take 3-5 days

Justin, sorry for being too repetitive, I hope you are still keeping note I don't want mine, which is in this next batch, to be shipped right now.

From l s i l v a j @ g m a i l

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #5,933 of 9,899
Justin - I think it's wise to be small and "made to order". There are two modern successful models of business and they tend to be at opposite ends of the spectrum - small, design and quality driven businesses that create unique and exceptional products and enormous, mass produced, design and quality driven businesses (Apple, for example). Where people often get into trouble is the middle ground where they don't have the economy of scale, the capital or the staff to succeed. Typically they also have poorly designed products of questionable quality. Businesses fail constantly in this zone.

I ordered my BHSE knowing that this was more a business driven by one individual concerned with technology, design, quality, art and passion. Take your time. Get it right.

Stick to the plan. It works. :)

I agree with your logic and attitude.

I am sitting here listening to The XX on my BHSE and the 009 at the end of long day; my escape from the daily grind. BHSE's reputation is all true. I have owned it for the past few years and the appreciation for its quality and design has not waned.. Every time I play it in my system I am reminded that it is worth the wait. This is my personal escape to paradise available 24 hours a day.....now how much is that worth to you?

The BHSE may not be cheap but I feel it offers the best long term value. Based on the resale value there is almost zero costs to ownership, not many current production audio equipments can claim that.

You can order alternatives that are delivered quicker.....but you will be left wondering..... And in my experience....you will be missing the "magic" ever time you play your system.....that in my opinion is worth waiting for.

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #5,934 of 9,899
And more on tubes: has anyone tried some good RFT on the BHSE? I'm using now (on a different amp though) and they are very very good, in some aspects I prefer them to the 1974 Tesla I usually use. My RFT are short base, 1964 dated and have such a liquid, smooth and grain free midrange, retaining strong bass and airy top-end.

I have both the RFT folded and disk getter and they are both good.

Not sure if you have tried the Sittard brown base EL34 XF4s with the DD getters. They are the best I have heard on the BHSE.....

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #5,935 of 9,899
Ha Ha, yes, and they may end up selling their 'other' amps down the line. Talking of which, not seem many posts recently about the WOO WES. That amp seemed to be the other amp everyone wanted if they didn't have the BHSE already. Anyone here still like the WOO WES?

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #5,936 of 9,899
Ha Ha, yes, and they may end up selling their 'other' amps down the line. Talking of which, not seem many posts recently about the WOO WES. That amp seemed to be the other amp everyone wanted if they didn't have the BHSE already. Anyone here still like the WOO WES?

Not funny! That was exactly what happened to me....paid for my stupidity so I know what I am talking about.

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #5,937 of 9,899
I have both the RFT folded and disk getter and they are both good.

Not sure if you have tried the Sittard brown base EL34 XF4s with the DD getters. They are the best I have heard on the BHSE.....

No, unfortunately haven't tried any Mullard/Philips yet. I'm still looking for a quad of XF2 but prices are sky high. To be honest, the problem is not the price itself but the lack of guarantee they'll work flawlessly for many years. It would be a HUGE disappointment to spend $800 for a quad and then use it only for a few weeks.
Tesla and RFT have still reasonable prices , but they are getting harder and harder to find, especially the Tesla Roznov and the older RFT.

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #5,938 of 9,899
Not funny! That was exactly what happened to me....paid for my stupidity so I know what I am talking about.

I am sorry to hear that. In this hobby it is so hard to demo none Stax amps. Only hear at meets or if someone lives locally.
Can I ask, which amp was it that you disliked/ sold?

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #5,940 of 9,899
No, unfortunately haven't tried any Mullard/Philips yet. I'm still looking for a quad of XF2 but prices are sky high. To be honest, the problem is not the price itself but the lack of guarantee they'll work flawlessly for many years. It would be a HUGE disappointment to spend $800 for a quad and then use it only for a few weeks.
Tesla and RFT have still reasonable prices , but they are getting harder and harder to find, especially the Tesla Roznov and the older RFT.

Buy from a reputable dealer with good feedback will be your best bet. I agree that amongst the NOS the Tesla and RFTs offer relatively reasonable value. Problem is the multiple variants available in the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back