Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Apr 25, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #5,026 of 9,899
At the rate you are attracting visitors, you had better chill down a keg!

After seeing this post of yours again Bones13, I now get it.

Although I don't consider myself to be thick ( well I don't think so ) , 18 years ago I had a serious head injury in a motorcycle accident to which I have not, and may never fully recover from. Aswell as being constantly light headed, my concentration seems to wander, fortunately my hearing wasn't damaged and listening with headphones gives me solace.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #5,027 of 9,899
After seeing this post of yours again Bones13, I now get it.

Although I don't consider myself to be thick ( well I don't think so ) , 18 years ago I had a serious head injury in a motorcycle accident to which I have not, and may never fully recover from. Aswell as being constantly light headed, my concentration seems to wander, fortunately my hearing wasn't damaged and listening with headphones gives me solace.

That's a shame about your accident.  One of my relatives (an older fellow) had a motorcycle accident when he was young and also received some damage to his brain.  From that point on he became a narcoleptic and just falls asleep at completely random times.  Surprisingly, this did not affect his ability to drink beer and I have watched him fall asleep while standing up with a full glass of beer in his hand, then continue to remain standing and not spill a drop.  He would later wake up and continue where he left off, what a trooper!

It's great that you can enjoy your hobby irrespective of your injury, I look forward to getting some PH tubes as per your recommendation, thanks. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #5,029 of 9,899
Firstly, to all those reading the posts by David1961, trust them and read them with the knowledge that all his comments are based upon his listening trials, using his equipment over a period of time, following considerable investment. I have had the priveldige to listen to his system over a 4 hour period. So David, THANK YOU.

As for my impressions of what I heard, really quite simple. The difference between the 007 Omega and 009's is black and white. You do not need HiFi superlatives to articulate minor differences in this case, it is obvious. Driven by a superb source via the BHSE, quite simply the most true to life sound I have yet to hear.

To the BHSE, immaculate piece of engineering. It made my Omega 007's sing, but not as well as the 009's. Please note that David has rolled the tubes. We also swapped a few cables. Trying Atlas Asimi's with David's "The Missing Links"........ I have already been in touch with TML.

David's system provides a truly engaging and immersive experience. Reproduction of recordings presented in such a way that are detailed but not fatiguing. You could quite easily listen for hours and hours then go back for more. If you can't be be bothered with loads of research, lots of A and B testing, travelling here there and everywhere, want something very pleasing on the eye, just copy David's system. Simple.

V.R.,

P.

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #5,030 of 9,899
While I'm sure David's system is to die for and I'm sure he put many hours in research and A/B testing and all.  However, nothing in audio is that simple for the next person - sorry.  

You may like Strawberry ice cream, I may like Vanilla ice cream.  The good thing is we both like ice cream..  Heck you may not like ice cream at all.  I was just saying...

beerchug.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #5,031 of 9,899
This may be the reason
Your Brain on Music: A Story of Song Meets Science

Daniel Levitin, Author, This Is Your Brain on Music In musical conversation with Alex de Grassi, Grammy Award-nominated Fingerstyle Guitarist

Ever wonder what's going on in your brain when you tune in to your favorite radio station or hum that song stuck in your head? Humans have been creating and enjoying music for thousands of years, but what really creates the experience? Is the brain of a musician different than the brains of the rest of us? Join us as Levitin and De Grassi jam, chat and foot tap their way through the story of "Music and the Mind Machine."

size]

This is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession

books

Daniel J. Levitin

Dutton, 2006 - Music - 314 pages

50 Reviews

A fascinating exploration of the relationship between music and the mind ;and the role of melodies in shaping our lives Whether you load your iPod with Bach or Bono, music has a significant role in your life ;even if you never realized it. Why does music
evoke such powerful moods? The answers are at last be- coming clear, thanks to revolutionary neuroscience and the emerging field of evolutionary psychology. Both a cutting-edge study and a tribute to the beauty of music itself, This Is Your Brain on Musicunravels a host of mysteries that affect everything from pop culture to our understanding of human nature, including: " Are our musical preferences shaped in utero? " Is there a cutoff point for acquiring new tastes in music? " What do PET scans and MRIs reveal about the brain's response to music? " Is musical pleasure different from other kinds of pleasure? This Is Your Brain on Musicexplores cultures in which singing is considered an essential human function, patients who have a rare disorder that prevents them from making sense of music, and scientists studying why two people may not have the same definition of pitch. At every turn, this provocative work unlocks deep secrets about how nature and nurture forge a uniquely human obsession. BACKCOVER: ;I know Dan to have a deep musical knowledge and strong intellect combined with a warm spirit and a big heart. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of popular music . . . He is a fine writer and has the ability to make difficult concepts very clear. ; ;STEVIE WONDER

Quote:
  Since I started listening to Mozart on cans my health has improved significantly!!  
beerchug.gif

edit:  On second thought, it could have been the Vivaldi . . .

Apr 25, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #5,033 of 9,899
  While I'm sure David's system is to die for and I'm sure he put many hours in research and A/B testing and all.  However, nothing in audio is that simple for the next person - sorry.  

You may like Strawberry ice cream, I may like Vanilla ice cream.  The good thing is we both like ice cream..  Heck you may not like ice cream at all.  I was just saying...

beerchug.gif

popcorn.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #5,035 of 9,899
Firstly, to all those reading the posts by David1961, trust them and read them with the knowledge that all his comments are based upon his listening trials, using his equipment over a period of time, following considerable investment. I have had the priveldige to listen to his system over a 4 hour period. So David, THANK YOU.

As for my impressions of what I heard, really quite simple. The difference between the 007 Omega and 009's is black and white. You do not need HiFi superlatives to articulate minor differences in this case, it is obvious. Driven by a superb source via the BHSE, quite simply the most true to life sound I have yet to hear.

To the BHSE, immaculate piece of engineering. It made my Omega 007's sing, but not as well as the 009's. Please note that David has rolled the tubes. We also swapped a few cables. Trying Atlas Asimi's with David's "The Missing Links"........ I have already been in touch with TML.

David's system provides a truly engaging and immersive experience. Reproduction of recordings presented in such a way that are detailed but not fatiguing. You could quite easily listen for hours and hours then go back for more. If you can't be be bothered with loads of research, lots of A and B testing, travelling here there and everywhere, want something very pleasing on the eye, just copy David's system. Simple.

V.R.,

P.

Thanks for your feedback.  However, not everyone will be able to afford the almighty Esoteric though. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #5,036 of 9,899
Possibly slightly different topic: I have the 007s Mk2.5 and use a Stax 717 amp to drive them. I think my front end is sorted (tubed DAC). I am getting a good sound right now, but am interested in how far it can go yet.

I have already ordered the BHSE, but I am curious. Would folk here say the 009s with the 717 amp sounds better than the BHSE and the 007s?

Thus, if you were me, and could only afford one or the other, would you get the 009s to replace the 007s powered by the 717
or
keep the 007s and drive them with the BHSE??

It seems a few on this forum are happy with their 009s driven by a Stax amp. I think the 009s are a lot easier to drive?

This hobby is fascinating (and expensive).

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #5,037 of 9,899
  Possibly slightly different topic: I have the 007s Mk2.5 and use a Stax 717 amp to drive them. I think my front end is sorted (tubed DAC). I am getting a good sound right now, but am interested in how far it can go yet.

I have already ordered the BHSE, but I am curious. Would folk here say the 009s with the 717 amp sounds better than the BHSE and the 007s?

Thus, if you were me, and could only afford one or the other, would you get the 009s to replace the 007s powered by the 717
or
keep the 007s and drive them with the BHSE??

It seems a few on this forum are happy with their 009s driven by a Stax amp. I think the 009s are a lot easier to drive?

This hobby is fascinating (and expensive).

For now, I would try to get your hand on the BHSE and see how the 007 will react when driving by BHSE.  You should stop by at meets and check out the BHSE+SR009 for yourself as well.

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #5,038 of 9,899
  For now, I would try to get your hand on the BHSE and see how the 007 will react when driving by BHSE.  You should stop by at meets and check out the BHSE+SR009 for yourself as well.

+1

For the money you won't find a better amp than the BHSE. Don't under estimate the SR-009's, as they're no different than any good loudspeaker. The better the amp (source too), the better they sound. But I agree, I would start with the amp first (with 007).

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #5,039 of 9,899
in my opinion and experience using a 007 mk2 and a 009 with the Stax SRM 006tII tubeamp and a KGSS, there is no way to come close to the sound of the 009.
I thought that maybe my KGSS,  which has more punch and sounds more aggressive than the tubeamp, would be prefect to handle the 007mk2.
The coloured smooth sound of the Omega is still recognisable. A improvement but the 009 is a different level with both amps.
I could imagine that a KGBHse provide the most natural sounding to the 009. Can´t wait to compare this to my other amps.

My source is a MacbookPro and a Esoteric D02 DAC, similar to David1961 equipment.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #5,040 of 9,899
My experience is similar to Karlgerman's (similar equipment).
Get an SR009-based system. (If you just want an SR007 system, you might as well get an Oppo PM1 system for a lot less money I think.)
The 009 stands alone in my book among the top phones and is a historic achievement and  a major advancement in sound, even for Stax. There is nothing like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back