Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Apr 1, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #4,878 of 9,902
Just to give everyone waiting some hope, I received my final payment notice yesterday! It's been two years, I hope it's worth it!

Hello WSilvio

Yes, this is a "Restore Hope" operation! My order was sent 18 months ago, so I hope I will get the payment notice soon. Could you please tell me in what form the notice was sent to you? In a Head-fi private mail ? Did it mention the options and their price? And some sort of shipping code to keep in touch with FedEx in case of trouble?

I'm glad to see that a musician can be a HI-FI addict! I think that most of the musicians only rely on living music (concert) and despise electronic rigs...

I will try to find one of your records (which doesn't mean I will buy it...)

Regards.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #4,881 of 9,902
Just to give everyone waiting some hope, I received my final payment notice yesterday! It's been two years, I hope it's worth it!

Congratulations! (And condolences to your wallet). I was just about to look back at Justin's post, and see if it's been a couple of weeks. I'm sure I'll be one of those with a tardy silver faceplate, but great to know this mammoth double batch will start trickling off the testing bench soon.

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #4,882 of 9,902
<whistles> my gmail account is tired of me looking for my email from Justin...

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #4,884 of 9,902
 Could you please tell me in what form the notice was sent to you? In a Head-fi private mail ? Did it mention the options and their price? 

I received notification in a personal email.  (Not Head-Fi.)  It was preceded by an email I imagine was to confirm that the address was still good.  It mentioned the options and choices (e.g., color), but did not tabulate their individual prices.  It gives the price I still owe and the shipping cost.  It gives a very reasonable set of payment options.  It was not a shipping notice.  I *presume* nothing ships until final payment is received.

Apr 4, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #4,886 of 9,902
Understand "mammoth" is a relative term. When I ordered in 2012, he had expanded one batch into 2 concurrent batches. If you ordered a BHSE from Justin's website, you sent him the deposit, and he emailed you about color options. This is an expensive, semi custom, built to order amplifier for a limited type of headphone, You won't find BHSE on amazon or at best buy.

In addition to supply problems, fake transistors, and substandard aluminum, we are a fickle group about details, and some have buyers remorse or troubles with finances a year or more later after ordering. Some change emails, etc making it hard for Justin to find.

All of us are just happy to see this batch finally getting off the test bench, get buttoned up, and packed for shipping. I'm sure Justin is really looking forward to some cash inflow after buying all the parts, and all his hard work getting these done.

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #4,887 of 9,902
Originally Posted by cat6man 
2.  How long should the tubes take to settle in with regard to sound?
I have to say that I am not impressed (yet) and feel the old sound was better, more delicate, spacious and detailed before.  How long should I break these in before I do comparative listening? (carefully removing tubes, per posts above)

Update:  incipient depression avoided!
After about 6-10 hours a day of burn in (30-40 hours so far), I no longer feel like sending the psvane el34ph tubes back.
I actually thought they were almost unlistenable (congested, masked detail, little intstrumental/vocal separation) in comparison to the original tubes, but they were sounding much better last night with none of the splatty treble I was hearing before.

I still feel they may not be better (yet) as I remember more delicate and separated instrumental details (e.g. guantanamera by weavers, apostrophe by zappa).
I do feel the bass is more prominent (in a good way, Stax with bass, woohoo!) and the soundstage is presented differently (somewhere between the old dense/congested and what I remember as incredibly wide open with stock tubes).

So, I'm definitely going to give these tubes more time to burn in....................things are happening.

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #4,888 of 9,902
This is exactly why I signed up for GSX-MKII and won't be going into the tube business.
I understand that if you get a set (matched pair or even quad) and they fully settle in, it can potentially be sonic bliss.
But just one part (or group of parts in this case) of a $5000 amp being crucial for the overall performance and more importantly floating in their acoustic properties, that's not a can of worms that I would want to open. Have fun :wink:)).

Apr 4, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #4,889 of 9,902
  This is exactly why I signed up for GSX-MKII and won't be going into the tube business.
I understand that if you get a set (matched pair or even quad) and they fully settle in, it can potentially be sonic bliss.
But just one part (or group of parts in this case) of a $5000 amp being crucial for the overall performance and more importantly floating in their acoustic properties, that's not a can of worms that I would want to open. Have fun :wink:)).

but the worms are so exquisitely tasty (after they are sufficiently settled in) when they are prepared correctly (fresh worms only, no frozen or canned ones that have been sitting on the store shelf getting stale or chewy)

on the hand, i do draw the line at sprinkling the tubes with a homeopathic strength (< 1/1000th of a single molecule) solution derived from the tears of virgin unicorns that have been raised on a disco-free, audiophile approved deserted island.

telling the difference between the former and the latter is the hard part.

Apr 4, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #4,890 of 9,902

but the worms are so exquisitely tasty (after they are sufficiently settled in) when they are prepared correctly (fresh worms only, no frozen or canned ones that have been sitting on the store shelf getting stale or chewy)

Same thinking with the fish until they get hooked !
LOL, so NOS worms are out of the question :wink:) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back