Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jan 27, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #4,651 of 9,883
Hi David,

no, my better half is using all things apple ...
I am old fashioned spinning silver discs on a 20 year old Krell CD DSP -> e20 DAC -> HD800. No personal experience with mp3 but occasionally using internet streaming radio from a Cambridge Sonata NP30 and the latter SQ is just good enough for some background listening.

I'm coming from an also about 20 year old Stax Lambda Pro /SRD7MkII/ED-1 and the new HD800 is revealing things that I did not hear before, as well as clearly better sound staging. No contest there in that aspect. And I'm still using the "infamous" single ended stock cable, plugged directly into the exasound e20. I'm in the 2014 batch for a GS-X MkII, maybe in summer... :wink:). I have not heard the current Stax 009.

I just thought that a 009 / BHSE combo is as top notch as it can get and then feeding some mp3 music files sounds a little strange, even literally :wink:)).

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #4,652 of 9,883
When I went to the Cambridgeshire head-fi meeting in 2012 icebear, I took my 009 / BHSE, but because the K-01 weighs 33kg, I took my iPod to use as source instead, and those that had a listen but didn't see I was using an iPod, thought that the SQ was so good that when they realised I was only using an iPod, they couldn't believe the SQ they were hearing.
The K-01 ( IMO ) does take the SQ to an amazing level, but the 009 / BHSE with the iPod also sounds very good.

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #4,657 of 9,883
Inspecting the last of the panels before they are clear anodized (silver)

You have outdone yourself Justin. The "special" aluminum, and rabid attention to detail looks to have paid off. Really glad to have ordered the silver, even if I ordered it for the better sound...

Feb 2, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #4,658 of 9,883
Hello everybody, Is it possible to damage some Beyerdynamic T1s with a Blue Hawaii headphone amp. I am asking beacause after using them witha benchmark Dac1 I decided to sell them on eBay and now the buyer wants a refund because he said that after connecting them to his blue Hawaii he heard a loud screeching that hurt his ears. He claims they were damaged. Now that sounds suspicious to me. It sounds to me he blew up the drivers. No I am stuck with damaged headphones. Sorry I needed to get it out of my chest. Any idea of what happened or advice. Once I get them I am planning to send them for repairs to see what happened. And to be honest looks like with eBay being buyer friendly I don't have a lot of options. Thanks
Ismael

Feb 2, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #4,659 of 9,883
Hello everybody, Is it possible to damage some Beyerdynamic T1s with a Blue Hawaii headphone amp. I am asking beacause after using them witha benchmark Dac1 I decided to sell them on eBay and now the buyer wants a refund because he said that after connecting them to his blue Hawaii he heard a loud screeching that hurt his ears. He claims they were damaged. Now that sounds suspicious to me. It sounds to me he blew up the drivers. No I am stuck with damaged headphones. Sorry I needed to get it out of my chest. Any idea of what happened or advice. Once I get them I am planning to send them for repairs to see what happened. And to be honest looks like with eBay being buyer friendly I don't have a lot of options. Thanks
Ismael

As far as I kow it´s impossible, you cannot connect a Beyer T1 to a Blue Hawaii, one it´s  a dynamic headphone and the other one an electrostatic amplifier!!!

Feb 2, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #4,660 of 9,883
Thanks for the quick reply, I just realized the blue hawaii just have balanced jacks. Man, this thing sounds fishy. I think Ive been ripped off but  what does he gain, I dont get it. Check what he wrote me:
"After I took the headphones out of the box and plugged them into my blue hawaii amplifier (as we both know this type of headphones cant be put directly into the computer because of the cable), I was expecting to bump my head to my favorite nas track. What I received instead was a loud and harsh screeching noise, which I'm on the fence about going to the doctor about because my eardrums still hurt. I'm really hoping it's only temporary damage. Anyway, I assumed it had to be a problem with my end of the equipment, since you said there was nothing wrong with the item in your listening. Unfortunately, when I tried plugging it into my other amplifier I got the same results. I eventually went to the point of trying to use my guitar amplifier just to make sure. After that I tried seeing if it was the cable so I took out my box of audio cables. I spent at least 3 hours going through cables and they all gave the same response. So, with the only fathomable reason for it behaving like this being the headphones, I tried using my own sennheiser hd800's with those pieces of equipment. The 800's worked fine with all of them. I realize that you'll probably feel dissatisfied with the waste of time and transaction (I know I do), but the only course of action for me is it to return it for a full refund. If you want to discuss the issue with me you can always contact my ebay, email and phone. In final reiteration, I'm sorry that the transaction didn't go as it should have. I harbor no resentment towards you and I hope that feeling is mutual :)"

This does not make sense to me

Feb 2, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #4,662 of 9,883
Just write on the ebay msg with a reply stating that the blue hawaii has electrostatic headphone jacks designed for much higher voltage handling, and cannot be used for the non-electrostatic headphones in question. Modification to allow the T1 to be plugged into the blue hawaii would cause the headphone to fail irreversibly.

Modifications of the sold item, not to mention using the product out of design parameters, are not covered under the ebay buyer protection program, and naturally you will not be willing to take a refund.

Also state that you are not responsible whatsoever for damages due to the buyer's physical modifications of the product, and that the product failure is not due to incorrect listing. You hold no responsibility in the headphone failure.

IF he gives you a fuss, ebay should be on your side. Post pictures of the blue hawaii and the stock T1 plug, showing how they don't fit each other.

Feb 2, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #4,664 of 9,883
Either the buyer is very confused or he is taking you for a ride.  You can't plug dynamic headphones (like the HD800 and Beyer T1) into an electrostatic headphone amplifier (BHSE).  The Beyerdynamic headphones do not have the correct connector to even plug into the BHSE.  If he somehow managed to accomplish this I am not surprised that the T1's blew up.  Electrostats are completely different from regular headphones.  Totally not your fault that he misused the T1s and broke them in the process.  If it were me I would tell him to get lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back