Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Apr 14, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #9,616 of 9,882
Ah, makes sense. So which has more power overall - a BHSE or a KGSSHV Carbon then? It seems like the entire estat community has agreed the Carbon is the better match for the Stax 007 as the 007 needs a lot of power to properly drive.

With 007 and Carbon it's less of a power issues and more so tonality, for example I hate how 009 sounds on the Carbon and most solid state amps. It makes 009 too aggressive and dry for my tastes. 007 on the other hand has a lot more bass impact and overall weight and body to it's sound, it's very full in comparison to the leaner 009.

So in this instance if you wanted to have more of that natural body tonality in your 007 you'd pair it with BHSE, or if your wanting to add impact and immediacy Carbon would be a better match. At this point either amp is capable it just comes down to what qualities you prioritize. For my self a lot of amps Tube and Solid State leave 009 kinda of zippy or TOO hard/aggressive. After hearing years of BHSE I've come to appreciate it's some what unique for the overall balance of detail, impact and tonality. Tho as others have said I imagine the Tubes have a big impact there as well. Still for my system and my stats I'd like a BHSE as my next and final upgrade for my 009 Non S and my Modded 95X. My little modded SRM 007tA does a great job... but I know to get that last word in absolute naturalness I need to upgrade

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #9,617 of 9,882
Anyone run the BHSE with the holo spring? If so how is it.

i currently have the spring KTE + gsx mk2

thinking of joining the Electrostatic team

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #9,619 of 9,882
This amp is amazing the Voce and SR-009s are spectacular the SR is my favorite as it has more low end then the Voce
Which blue is this ?
is it that the enclosure is the only difference as it’s darker? I can barely tell the difference in the photos posted which are polished or satin but I’d guessing satin is darker.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #9,620 of 9,882
This looks like the polished. Which is exactly what I have. I believe Bonddam has mentioned he has the same amp as me.

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #9,621 of 9,882
I have the same exact amp, and yup it's the polished. I have to say, the Blue Hawaii may be my favorite amp of all time. I really do love it. Every headphone is simply sublime out of it.

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #9,622 of 9,882
And it looks absolutely beautiful.

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #9,623 of 9,882
@paradoxper

Hi.

Would you possibly be able to provide your impression for how the sound performance for the Blue Hawaii Special Edition compares to the sound performance for the Megatron?
Stretching me thin, huh. :wink: :laughing:

The MT is undoubtedly more tube-sounding, more warm, more soft, more staged. Compared to BHSE

Not gooey or overtly colored. Rather neutral-ishhh.

BHSE is more direct, extended, punched.
This means more edge and energy.

It's also why the DIY T2 wins-out.

Apr 20, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #9,624 of 9,882
Stretching me thin, huh. :wink: :laughing:

The MT is undoubtedly more tube-sounding, more warm, more soft, more staged. Compared to BHSE

Not gooey or overtly colored. Rather neutral-ishhh.

BHSE is more direct, extended, punched.
This means more edge and energy.

It's also why the DIY T2 wins-out.
I appreciate you sharing your impressions for me, @paradoxper.

Would you possibly be able to explain what that is that you mean, regarding the Megatron being "more staged" than the Blue Hawaii Special Edition?

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #9,625 of 9,882
I appreciate you sharing your impressions for me, @paradoxper.

Would you possibly be able to explain what that is that you mean, regarding the Megatron being "more staged" than the Blue Hawaii Special Edition?
MT presents a more holographic, 3D enveloping soundscape with regards to spatial cues and is predominant in width as IMO depth is a bit of a fallacy with headphones.

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #9,626 of 9,882
MT presents a more holographic, 3D enveloping soundscape with regards to spatial cues and is predominant in width as IMO depth is a bit of a fallacy with headphones.
That feature for the sound performance for the Megatron sounds appealing for me.

In the case that you have listened to other electrostatic amplifiers, other than the Blue Hawaii Special Edition, and the DIY T2, I would be interested in the case that you would be able to inform me of whether or not you would feel that the sound for the Megatron would be "soft" in comparison to them as well.

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #9,627 of 9,882
That feature for the sound performance for the Megatron sounds appealing for me.

In the case that you have listened to other electrostatic amplifiers, other than the Blue Hawaii Special Edition, and the DIY T2, I would be interested in the case that you would be able to inform me of whether or not you would feel that the sound for the Megatron would be "soft" in comparison to them as well.
It's a rough road for commercial alternatives as Eddie Current Elektra, WOO WES, AudioValve Solaris, Cavalli Audio Liquid Lightning aren't good representations of high performing amplifiers.

I've heard good things about the Z10E but can't personally provide a reference, I'm afraid.

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #9,628 of 9,882
It's a rough road for commercial alternatives as Eddie Current Elektra, WOO WES, AudioValve Solaris, Cavalli Audio Liquid Lightning aren't good representations of high performing amplifiers.

I've heard good things about the Z10E but can't personally provide a reference, I'm afraid.
Would you possibly be able to provide a reference against other DIY electrostatic amplifiers that you possibly have listened to, other than the Blue Hawaii Special Edition, and the DIY T2, regarding the sound for the Megatron feeling "soft"?

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #9,629 of 9,882
Would you possibly be able to provide a reference against other DIY electrostatic amplifiers that you possibly have listened to, other than the Blue Hawaii Special Edition, and the DIY T2, regarding the sound for the Megatron feeling "soft"?
Where the BHSE is a pretty incisive sound and the Megatron comparatively has a little more reserve (presenting a contrasting softness) the KGST is something I would say straddles that balance. Also different from the KGSSHV 450v where its warmth doesn't take a path of commission just a slight presentation difference.

Again, it's more applicable if you have a form of reference. I'd akin these differences to an example of the KGSSHV Sanyo vs IXYS.

Apr 20, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #9,630 of 9,882
Where the BHSE is a pretty incisive sound and the Megatron comparatively has a little more reserve (presenting a contrasting softness) the KGST is something I would say straddles that balance. Also different from the KGSSHV 450v where its warmth doesn't take a path of commission just a slight presentation difference.

Again, it's more applicable if you have a form of reference. I'd akin these differences to an example of the KGSSHV Sanyo vs IXYS.
Considering that I would prefer to possess only one electrostatic amplifier, I believe that the KGST possibly would be the amplifier that would be the most suitable model for me, considering that you feel that the sound for the KGST would be in between the sound for the Blue Hawaii Special Edition, and the sound for the Megatron.

However, I previously had seen that people had considered the KGST to be within a tier of performance below the Blue Hawaii Special Edition, and the Megatron.

Would you possibly feel that that would be the case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back