Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Dec 2, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #7,667 of 9,899
Has everyone in the current batch received the email for final payment? I placed my order in March,2015, so I think that I should be in the current batch. Want to check for sure, because I don't want to wait for another few months.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #7,668 of 9,899
Only bearFNF so far.
If you're not prepared to wait a lot more than any excpectation you might have, I strongly recommend you get off this train 
biggrin.gif

Arnaud received final payment request on june 2014, and BHSE knocked on his door on may 2015 
redface.gif

Ali

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #7,669 of 9,899
I ordered mine 12/2013, a 230 volt amp, i think i will break the long time wait record. I asked yesterday about the delivery timeline for the 230 volt amps but no feedback until today, so some months more to wait i think, no big deal for me:wink:. Maybe Justin can bring light into this, would be nice.

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #7,670 of 9,899
Quick question about tubes:

Is this right?

You really just need 2 matched pairs for tubes vs. actually doing a match quad?

If I understand correctly, you can just have each pair have one tube in each channel.  So the result is that the channel match even though the tubes in the same channel don't.

As for my order, I ordered in March 2013 (I think) and got my request for final funds a few days ago.

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #7,672 of 9,899
Matched pair for each channel - ie pair on the right and pair on the left.

Are you sure that is right? Doesn't seem right to me.

If you have matched pair on one channel and different matched pair on other channel, wouldn't you get channel imbalance if the 2 matched pair weren't similar? I always thought you could put one tube from 2 match pair in one channel and other tube from 2 matched pairs in other channel (assuming tubes were hooked up in series which is what my original question was).

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #7,673 of 9,899
Are you sure that is right? Doesn't seem right to me.

If you have matched pair on one channel and different matched pair on other channel, wouldn't you get channel imbalance if the 2 matched pair weren't similar? I always thought you could put one tube from 2 match pair in one channel and other tube from 2 matched pairs in other channel (assuming tubes were hooked up in series which is what my original question was).

GeorgeP is a builder so he definitely knows what he's talking about.

Try using the search function in this thread for more proof.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/439657/headamp-blue-hawaii-special-edition/2865#post_9043881

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #7,674 of 9,899
It makes more sense now.  Didn't realize that the BHSE was a dual mono design.  Thanks to georgep for helping me avoid a big mistake.

Also, given it design, seems like matched quad would be best.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #7,675 of 9,899
So I have the following tubes or on order for my BHSE that is incoming:

1) Mullard XF1: Not metal base but can't complain
2) PSVANE EL34PH: hopefully not cruising for a bruising

So any other recommendations on ones to try?

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #7,676 of 9,899
  So I have the following tubes or on order for my BHSE that is incoming:

1) Mullard XF1: Not metal base but can't complain
2) PSVANE EL34PH: hopefully not cruising for a bruising

So any other recommendations on ones to try?

If you don't mind for the future, where did you find these tubes? could you provide me with a link so when I'm ready to purchase some tubes for the BHSE after listening/getting used to its sound with the stock tube I can compare prices/impessions?
Thanks.

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #7,679 of 9,899
There were complaints about the PS VANE/Shuguang lines of EL34 and high failure rates/problems with quality control.  Although the EL34PH were slightly redesigned in 2014.  Unclear if there are still high rates of failures. (Might want to do search for BHSE and PSVANE EL34PH)

In terms of my research, for new manufactured tubes I have heard to look at the following:
1) SED Winged C: Might technically be considered NOS now
2) Various PS VANE/Shuguang line: EL34PH (which I hear is the special one) and TII line
3) Mullard Reissue (maybe)
4) JJ Blue (maybe): QC issues here too.

As for NOS (you have to look around to find), the ones i hear most people rave about as "best":

1) Holland Metal tubes: often marked philips miniwatt
2) Mullard metal/xf1
3) Mullard xf2 00 halo
4) Telefunken (from 50-60's)
5) Holland xf3-5 DD getter: philips and amperex mostly.  don't get mixed up with UK ones

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #7,680 of 9,899
  There were complaints about the PS VANE/Shuguang lines of EL34 and high failure rates/problems with quality control.  Although the EL34PH were slightly redesigned in 2014.  Unclear if there are still high rates of failures.

In terms of my research, for new manufactured tubes I have heard to look at the following:
1) SED Winged C: Might technically be considered NOS now
2) Various PS VANE/Shuguang line: EL34PH (which I hear is the special one) and TII line
3) Mullard Reissue (maybe)
4) JJ Blue (maybe): QC issues here too.

As for NOS (you have to look around to find), the ones i hear most people rave about as "best":

1) Holland Metal tubes: often marked philips miniwatt
2) Mullard metal/xf1
3) Mullard xf2 00 halo
4) Telefunken (from 50-60's)
5) Holland xf3-5 DD getter: philips and amperex mostly.  don't get mixed up with UK ones

Thank you vert much for the information, I do appreciate!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back