Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Nov 27, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #6,454 of 9,902
  To give people an idea of how I rate these tube differences, ...

1. The Herbie Halo III dampers will add 1 to 2 points to any of the tubes, other than the Treasures, which were too big to try. Of all the above changes, I found the tube dampers the most difficult to quantify. Still evaluating with the xf2s.

Which size of the Halo IIIs?  

1) I've measured my "stock" Mullards from Justin @ 1-4/16 +1/64 -2/64.  This *looks* like it should go with the HAL-O III-30 (spec: approximately 1-1/8" to 1-1/4").  However, http://herbiesaudiolab.net/haloiii.htm says that Mullard EL34s go with HAL-O III-35 (spec: 1-5/16" to 1-7/16")

2) I am *planning* on ordering some XF2s, and do not plan to buy 2 sets of the dampers.

PS, thanks to TheAttorney for all the tips.

Nov 28, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #6,455 of 9,902
Hi Justin. I have receive no email nor pm for track number or address confirm for my BHSE repair. can you pls confirm what state for the repair right now? as the repair had already take a year and a half. And you have pm the BHSE was fixed twice.

Nov 28, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #6,456 of 9,902
  Which size of the Halo IIIs?  

... I am *planning* on ordering some XF2s, and do not plan to buy 2 sets of the dampers.

Hopefully you've read my mini review in post #5270 - where I recommended size 30.
Further to that, the xf2's I have are about the same diameter as the PHs, i.e. 32 mm diameter (I'm not claiming my measurements are totally accurate, they're just a guide).
So we have the MB at a weedy 28mm, stock Mullard 30mm, PH and xf2 32mm. So the the Herbie size 30 should fit all those.
PS, when will the US go metric?

One of the reasons why I find these dampers hard to quantify is that their effect seems to depend on position and on tension, so that's an infinite number of variables. FWIW I preferred them 1/3rd from top and a loose fit, but I didn't spend much time on this - got both bored and muddled very quickly, so just chose a combination that sounded particularly good on one occasion and left it at that.

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #6,457 of 9,902

We tried once... and failed !

Change is hard.  Fortunately google makes both measurements, and currency conversions too easy to worry about.

Nov 28, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #6,459 of 9,902
  Hopefully you've read my mini review in post #5270 - where I recommended size 30.

I had *not* noticed the review.  Thanks for mentioning it, and for the advice.  After I posted the query above, I essentially sent a copy to Herbie, and he came back with, bottom line: "I recommend going with the HAL-O III-35. If you order online, mention in the "comments" section of the order form that they are for Mullard EL34s and I'll size them appropriately for you (erring a little undersize)."  TheAttorney and Herbie seem to agree its not too critical, either way.  I'll go with Herbie's "custom" 35s and let y'all know how it works out.

Having both been in tech for 30 years *and* cycling for half that, metric is more gemuetlich.  However, when in …  'One of those things we get to blame on the English.

Nov 28, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #6,461 of 9,902
  Any advice/experience with power conditioners for the BHSE?

(And, just checking: did everybody not get a PS cord in the package with the BHSE?)

Lots of gear arrives sans power cord now adays.  I will be running my BHSE straight out of the socket, using a 14 guage power cord with right angle connectors (3 feet) which fits my installation just right.  I have a couple of "medium high end" power cords without noticing a difference.  I'm sure I am not as discerning as some folks, but I would rather spend my money elsewhere.

Nov 28, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #6,462 of 9,902
  Any advice/experience with power conditioners for the BHSE?

(And, just checking: did everybody not get a PS cord in the package with the BHSE?)

Justin mentioned somewhere, I'm not sure though, if it was here or in the GSX-MkII thread, that he doesn't provide a power cord as everyone has a different preference and most likely a couple of cords around. It would just go to waste and complicate shipping.

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #6,464 of 9,902
That means about a week but sometimes anything can happen , so ... as always the only valid estimation is: "It's ready when it's ready".
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back