Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jul 23, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #5,671 of 9,896
No, No and No. And Yes.

Or with a little more detail:
The amount of heat generated has little to do with whether the amp is electrostatic or dynamic, or tubed or SS, and more to do with how much much Class A amplification is involved (apart from the tubes themselves, obviously). That's the first 2 No's.

The top of the BHSE does get very warm over hours, but never so hot that you can't keep your fingers on it. Apart from the tubes themselves, the hottest part of the BHSE is the rear RHS (not top) of the power supply. That's the 3rd No.

The BHSE will be fine if you allow some space to breath. That's the final Yes.
My power supply happens to be about 2 feet underneath the main unit, and this helps stop the feeling that the BHSE is a heat generator. If the room is already hot, then the BHSE won't help, but anyone used to Class A power amps will be wondering what the fuss is about.  

PS. These sorts of questions have been asked and answered before in this thread.

Edit: astrostar beat me to it while I was typing slowly, but never mind, my points still stand

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #5,673 of 9,896
Is it true that most electrostatic amps run pretty warm/hot? At a meet-up last week I was able to listen to a KGSSHV and it did seem to get pretty warm (warmer than the dynamic amps). My Liquid Lightning amp also gets quite warm. Both of those amps are solid-state though. Maybe solid state amps are generally hotter than tube amps (besides the tubes of course)? Besides the tubes, does the top of amp/power supply get pretty hot on the BHSE? I imagine that as long as you give it enough space to breathe it should be fine.

When I had the GS-Xmk2 I found the BHSE got warmer than that amp, and today I've been listening to my BHSE and it did feel warmer than it normally does, however the weather was quite hot for the North of England so I've no doubt that's the reason why my BHSE felt a lot warmer than normal. This extra heat though didn't do anything to how the BHSE was running or the SQ I was hearing, I'm just in headphone utopia when I use my 009 / BHSE.

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #5,674 of 9,896
I think this comes down to an amplifier running in Class A mode. With Class A ...

In my book anything this already gets a big tick in the box. Heat is a small price to pay. :)

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #5,675 of 9,896
My on-board KGSSHV 500V is just as warm as the BHSE.  Nothing is wrong with the heat generated by the BHSE.  It runs considerably cooler than my DIY T2 though.

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #5,679 of 9,896
mine is a saeco xelsis

could not live without it.
could not even get out the door in the morning without it.

krell >>T2 >>BHSE>KGSSHV

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #5,681 of 9,896
  mine is a saeco xelsis

krell >>T2 >>BHSE>KGSSHV

I'm so tempted to buy one of the Loesch custom jobs before they are all gone.  Maybe some of that DIY mojo will rub off on me.

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #5,682 of 9,896
  mine is a saeco xelsis

krell >>T2 >>BHSE>KGSSHV

This is a joke?

If not, I would say to my turn: RKV-II (in direct mode and probably also with the AudioValve VERTO Box adapter) > Electra >= 727 (on a Stax SR-009 headphone)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/727630/audiovalve-rkv-ii-otl-amp-2014-version-audiovalve-box-adapter-verto-for-stax-headphone-and-for-low-impedance-orthodynamic-eletrodynamic-headphone

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #5,684 of 9,896
  If you follow the context of the thread he's comparing operating temperatures, not sound quality.

beerchug.gif

And neither amp allows to roast coffee beans on top of it
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #5,685 of 9,896
  If you follow the context of the thread he's comparing operating temperatures, not sound quality.

It seems to me I read somewhere, that a Hi-Fi amplifier, enough powerful (with enough output voltage) (like the Krell) could driver a Stax headphones (if they combined him a bias voltage Pro 580 Volt DC generator), than very correct manner, and with a very high sound quality. Kevin will confirm this maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back