Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Dec 8, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #451 of 9,899

Quote:
No, I have not received my unit yet, nor have I gotten any word from Justin on a shipping date.  I suspect that ANY statement made about future plans/delivery schedules, LIKE ALL previous statements, will be grossly off the mark.

Has anyone in the queue, aside from those given privileged treatment, received a unit in under two years of wait?

shipping is tomorrow

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 9, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #453 of 9,899
Thanks, Justin.  It is good to see that production is now actually rolling at a decent pace.  It appears that you are catching up with the long backlog.  I bet you have some interesting tales about how hard it was to actually produce this model.

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #454 of 9,899
Dec 9, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #455 of 9,899
So I suppose Justin will be able to stick to his schedule?

Yay for that if that really happens!

Justin, you mentioned I'm #9 sometime back, so where does that make me after the next batch? I know you mentioned that I'll be the first to ship after the mid dec build.

Thanks for the hard work!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #456 of 9,899
I just got my BHSE unit (serial no. 16) in on Friday.  It's too early to comment on the sound, though I will say I like it more than the tube amp that comes from Stax for the Omega II phones. 

Like the Stax unit, I find that the amp just barely has enough gain for my phono source.  I have both the linestage and the amp turned all the way up when playing phono.  I have a lot more margin when I play my speakers.  I know my phono gain is probably not quite "enough," but still, a little bit more gain in the input stage would have been welcome for my use.

Also, the unit came with an alignment tool, but no instructions at all.  Does anyone know what is the use of that tool?

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #460 of 9,899
You aren't adjusting the current of the output stage, the CCS sets that and it is fixed.  What you are adjusting is the DC offset and DC balanced of each channel.  That means you measure at the Stax sockets, first the balance by measuring between + and - for the channel, then you ground the - probe and adjust the offset. 

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #461 of 9,899
Thanks Spritzer.  Do you have the correct identification of the various pins (on the female socket), and for a VOM that is not autoranging, the proper DC voltage range to use to make the measurement?

Is there a manual that explains these sort of things?

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #463 of 9,899
I have now been listening to MY BHSE for almost a week.  I like what I've been hearing.  This is an extremely revealing amp/headphone combination that sounds wonderful with better CDs.  I would have preferred it to be a bit softer in the range where sibilance is a problem, but, in terms of dealing with bad CDs, it is better than the 007t amp that came with my phones.  I have been listening at a slightly lower volume than before (always a good sign) and the sound is full and satisfying. 

I did not do much listening to vinyl in recent times with my 007t because of a problem with the upper end of the volume pot in one channel to prevented listening at a level high enough to work with my vinyl rig (too lazy to bypass the potentiometer to use the linestage volume pot).  With the BHSE I got very good results with vinyl.  I did notice something that I had not noticed before with the 007t that may or may not be a characteristic of the amp or the phones or even upstream components.  With some surface ticks on the record, instead of sounding like a "tick" it has more of a "tink" quality.  In other words it has a tonal resonant signature that sounds a bit like glass being struck.  Has anyone else noticed this?  I have never noticed this before with either speakers or phones.

Dec 19, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #465 of 9,899
Is this the start of... kitchen-fi?

Listening to headphones whilst doing the cooking. Eccentric, but it may catch on
dt880smile.png

What I really mean is that the units look good.
Choices, choices, Silver...black...no, back to silver...or maybe black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back