Headaches
Jun 7, 2006 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dvallere

500+ Head-Fier
I've gotten headaches every time I've tried to listen to my ZVM for more than an hour. This week I started experimenting with various items in the chain. I've narrowed it down.

It's not my neck lanyard. I got headaches every day and thought perhaps the lanyard (or the weight of the ZVM around my neck) was causing it. But today I carried it in a waist pack and still got a headache.

It's not the volume; that was the first thing I tried, and today it was so low that I could barely distinguish details in the music. Still got a headache.

It's not the headphones; I switched from K81DJ (which admittedly might have been a culprit) last week to PX100 early this week to KSC75 today and still got a headache.

The weather is fine; I am not wearing strange perfume; I got enough sleep last night; I don't have any unusual stressors that I know of.

Is it possible there's some type of component in the ZVM that's doing this? (For example if I were allergic to copper and there were copper bits inside it.) I had a Zen Sleek for about 5 months last year and don't remember ever having this kind of problem with the Sleek and either the PX100 or my UM2, and I did wear it on a neck lanyard.

I'm not an engineer so I can't guess what might be inside the ZVM that could be aggravating this. I really thought getting rid of the K81DJ would do it, but no.

Any ideas?

Jun 7, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 12
What season is it where you are living? Where I am it's summer and the pollen is out and that can easily cause me a headache (as can the heat & humidity)

Just an idea.

Jun 7, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 12
Why would the stock phones make a difference? Anyway, I can't, they don't fit into my little girly ears.

(Yes, I am a brave girl, not a brave man.)
etysmile.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 12
Your headache could have nothing to do with your music player. But I think long listening with any headphone could be the cause. Even the very comfortable and open KSC-75s (which I really like). Try taking more breaks from the headphones. Listen for a half hour, then take them off. Yes, listen at the lowest volume that allows you to hear the music. Finally, make sure you're ripping with a sufficiently high bit rate. Low bit rate mp3s can sound screetchy. I recommend ripping APS with the ubernet standard. www.ubernet.org. Just a few ideas.

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 12
Everything I have is ripped at 256k wma. But the thing is, I don't get headaches any other time, except about an hour into a listening session. Sitting around working on the computer without music, or watching TV, gardening, whatever - no headaches. Just when I'm listening to music on the dap.

Tomorrow I'm going to try using my desktop to listen to music for more than an hour and see what happens.

Jun 8, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
Why would the stock phones make a difference? Anyway, I can't, they don't fit into my little girly ears.

(Yes, I am a brave girl, not a brave man.)
etysmile.gif

blink.gif

We are talking about the Zen Vision M yes? Not the Micros?
(Imagines female bodybuilder with arms the size of treetrunks
tongue.gif
)

All right, try any earphone. It could just be that sticking things ON your ear is causing you problems.

Jun 8, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 12
As someone else stated: It may not be your music. What happens if you don't listen for a day? Headaches gone? If so, it may be the music/equipment causing the problem. If you still get headaches without listening for a day or two, look elsewhere: allergies, sinus infection, etc...

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 12
Yeah, I already mentioned I'm not getting headaches while doing anything else, only at the 1-hour mark of listening.
Headaches are gone within 1-2 hours of taking off the headphones and doing something else.

Did you confirm that the issue was the player?
I'm trying to find the reason for my personal headaches... And I want to figure out if the player could do it.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back