Head spinning with so many HD800 amp pairing options......Please Help!
Jun 27, 2013 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

xenomachino

New Head-Fier
First and foremost, Hello everyone,  this is my first post :)

Now,  i've read hundreds of posts trying to sort this one out.  Maybe you can help!

I need an amp that:

responds GREAT to transients (as i will be listening to drum heavy music)

is transparent and revealing as it can be

does NOT smooth out or color the sound

I don't need to make the music more pleasurable to listen to.  I need to know what's there with brutal accuracy,  down to the last detail.

From what i've gathered,  a tube amp is not the way to go as they tend to warm up and smooth out the transients.  Maybe a Solid State one?

i read the QES Labs HPBA2 might be good as it is very very transparent.  I was heavily leaning towards that one but i figured  i'd ask before i did anything.

My budget limit would probably be around 2 grand but i definitely welcome much cheaper amps if they're good!

Thanks in advance for any forthcoming opinions,  and sorry if this has been covered a million times before but i figured my stated specifications would aid you in trying to figure this one out for me

Xeno

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 5
Welcome!

The solid state Soloist is close to neutral amp, it doesn't color the sound in any way. I advise you to demo it, if you have a hi-fi shop near. Some guys have this combination on their personal rig. 

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 5
Other neutral options, in case you have missed any:
Schiit Mjolnir
SPL Auditor
Sennheiser HDVA600
Headamp GS-X mkii
Audio gd Master 8
Violectric V181
Hifiman EF6

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 5
It's said the lead engineer for the HD800 used the Violectric V100 to voice the headphones, and still keeps the amp in his personal collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back