Head phones to bring out ZXR potential?
Jun 21, 2013 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kaelin

New Head-Fier
looking for a new set of cans and was wondering what recommendations you fine gents and ladies (probably more so the former =P) would toss out there. Just picked up a Sound blaster ZXR which is capable of 600 ohm's. It also states a 80MW output in power but testing reveals it's closing to 50, around 48.6....(Damn you creative =*(...)

ATM I'm using a Sennheiser HD-555 that is foam modded. I was also using an ATH-A900 before this which I absolutely loved. The trebel was fantastic, although bass was a bit lacking, once that broke, I replaced them with some 555's as temp and have been using those since. Bass is nice, but seems overpowering or something with this new ZXR soundcard. Getting bass hums that drown out low volume audio in movies which is depressing and aggravating. In other areas there are improvements though....

Main uses for the cans will be lots of gaming, and movies...music being a 2nd to these tasks but also a factor. Budget range is 200-500, although the lower the better, if it is really worth the extra, I will drop it in. Above 50 ohm's would be nice..Don't really need 600Ohm's so up to 250 should be good, considering I don't think this card could really power a 600 OHM set thanks to creatives fabricated power output -_-...I was considering picking up an Audio-Technica ATH-AD900X....But this will be nearly identical to what I had, think its better to try something new and get a bit more variety under my belt. But something with a nice treble would be fantastic, as heading to these 555's after my A900 was a downgrade in treble. ATM, just not really happy with these 555's with this card, kind of odd...But I had a lot more clarity on my X-FI Prelude in my older system (which I used with both the cans stated above). I didn't have as much range as I do now, but the bass is drowning out some of the details in the lower ranges in a unpleasant fashion.

Any recommendations? ^_^

Jun 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 8
Audio Technica ATH-A900X, I really like there over all sound quality, just the right amount of bass for my ears.
Digbuy is selling them for $154.99, plus tax and shipping, I paid $256 for mine.
You need to give them a month to break in to best audio quality.
Also need to tie down the wings over night (a few times), to get them to work right.

Jun 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 8
Sounds like Soundmagic HP100 will be perfect for you. It has powerful low bass but stay clean of mid bass bloat, nice treble that stop just short of sibilance and very clear midrange, soundstage is also superb for closed cans (on par with K550). 

Jun 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 8
Regarding the A900x...I did forget to mention I'm looking for open cans. I've had A900's before, as much as I loved them...I really do prefer open cans.

I'll look into those soundmagic's...Thanks for the suggestion...Were they open cans though? Wish I would of stated that before, but I derped =P.

Jun 21, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 8
Beyerdynamic DT880 250-Ohm headphones

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #7 of 8
I'm so lost guys....I keep reading reviews back and forth and I don't know what to do. Any other advice to steer me in the right direction would be of great help. Was about to pull the trigger on DT-880 250ohm's. But held back after reading a few reviews comparing them to other sets. I'll admit I LOVED my A900's...But want an open set so was planning to get the AD900x originally before I read up more on the DT-880's....

Considering I loved my old A900's...What recommendations would be similar but with an improvement? After all these reviews I've read for all these other headphones..I'm back to step 1...>_<...lol

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I'm so lost guys....I keep reading reviews back and forth and I don't know what to do. Any other advice to steer me in the right direction would be of great help. Was about to pull the trigger on DT-880 250ohm's. But held back after reading a few reviews comparing them to other sets. I'll admit I LOVED my A900's...But want an open set so was planning to get the AD900x originally before I read up more on the DT-880's....

Considering I loved my old A900's...What recommendations would be similar but with an improvement? After all these reviews I've read for all these other headphones..I'm back to step 1...>_<...lol

I really like the audio quality of my ATH-A900Xs, and there is a chance the ATH-AD900X will have a slightly better over all sound quality (but a little less bass) compared to the A900X
Also with open headphones, you ears take less of a pounding, like when you game for hours and hours and hours on end (like I use to)

With the older A900 and AD900 models, it seemed that the open "AD" model was more preferred.
So it might be the same with the new AD900X & A900X models.

Check around Head-Fi's  "Headphones for Sale" thread and eBay and Amazon, might find a good price on used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back