Head is spinning......headphone overload
Jan 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

techguy02

New Head-Fier
So I built a new computer and I wanted to have some great sound with it. So I started doing some research on headphones, headsets and sound cards. I purchased a decent sound card (at least for now) and I'm going to go with headphones over headsets. 

Since there are some many different opinions about different brands/models and what each are used for, it's hard to keep things straight. I first was going to just go with Sennheiser only, but reading it sounds that they are better at mids and highs than bass. I am going to be picking up some HD 595 tonight. I couldn't bet the price ($85), says they are pretty close to perfect.....Anyways, kind of want to see what peoples opinions are and see if I'm thinking of which other pair to lean towards more. Pretty much all brands are fair game (Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamics, Denon, etc).

My other pair I want them to have a great overall sound. I want to be able to listen to music and movies and still play games. Don't want to give up to much of a soundstage. Oh and will have to keep budget in mind too, meaning I will either have to save up or fine things when they have a great deal or something. I won't be able to throw down $500-$1500 on a pair of headphones.

Well any thoughts on this matter.

Also, my sound card can push 600 ohm headphones. I plan on getting amp and DAC later on.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 24
So I built a new computer and I wanted to have some great sound with it. So I started doing some research on headphones, headsets and sound cards. I purchased a decent sound card (at least for now) and I'm going to go with headphones over headsets. 

Since there are some many different opinions about different brands/models and what each are used for, it's hard to keep things straight. I first was going to just go with Sennheiser only, but reading it sounds that they are better at mids and highs than bass. I am going to be picking up some HD 595 tonight. I couldn't bet the price ($85), says they are pretty close to perfect.....Anyways, kind of want to see what peoples opinions are and see if I'm thinking of which other pair to lean towards more. Pretty much all brands are fair game (Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamics, Denon, etc).

My other pair I want them to have a great overall sound. I want to be able to listen to music and movies and still play games. Don't want to give up to much of a soundstage. Oh and will have to keep budget in mind too, meaning I will either have to save up or fine things when they have a great deal or something. I won't be able to throw down $500-$1500 on a pair of headphones.

Well any thoughts on this matter.

Also, my sound card can push 600 ohm headphones. I plan on getting amp and DAC later on.

The HD595 was my first hifi headphone. I had a run-of-the-mill laptop at the time with a run-of-the-mill sound card. The 595s still sounded great. For $85 and with a decent sound card, I don't think you can go wrong. Plus, the color scheme looks way better than the hd598's "pimp-mobile" gold and brown.

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 24
The best advice is to hear as many cans as you can so you know what sound you prefer. Some people prefer their music with a warm tone, some prefer it bass heavy. Best is very subjective, which is why your head can spin from varying opinions.  

Once you decide what sound you prefer, going with any of the most recommended, forum stalwart options will make you happy. 

Source material and proper amplification will make the largest difference compared to splitting hairs over various sound signatures. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:
The best advice is to hear as many cans as you can so you know what sound you prefer. Some people prefer their music with a warm tone, some prefer it bass heavy. Best is very subjective, which is why your head can spin from varying opinions.  

Once you decide what sound you prefer, going with any of the most recommended, forum stalwart options will make you happy. 

Source material and proper amplification will make the largest difference compared to splitting hairs over various sound signatures. 

+1

This is very true. Subjectivity is the key here. What one person thinks is great, another might not like. I agree with the fact that you should listen to a few pairs and see where your ears take you.

Also, if I'm reading your post right, are you looking for two pairs? Or confirmation of your decision? If you are looking for two pairs, you might want to look into the K240 Studio. I had these, and I liked them very much. You mentioned that with the 'other pair' you'd want to play games and watch movies as well as music. I used the K240 for all of these and they fit the bill, for me. They were relatively easy to drive and had a nice sound, and aren't priced high. Just another headphone to add to your list.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 24
What is your sound card?

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 24
BrownBear: I will have to looking into those more. I have done some reading on those and pretty good things.

I like when people do reviews on headphones but then they compare them to $500 or $1500 sets. Which yeah I get the higher priced ones would be better but my wallet can't take that on one set of headphones.

I picked up the HD 595's last night and oh do they sound good. But like you said that the more I listen to, my opinion will probably change and he fine tuned.

Davidsh: sound card is the creative sound blaster recon3d fatal1ty pro. I got this card for the good price of $60. Other places sell it for $149-$200. For the higher price it would not be worth it. Several people have reviewed and not liked it but the main reason was the price. It has many connection options on the back and can support 600 ohm headphones. I will probably over time move to dedicated DAC and amp and only use sound card for mic and audio capture.

Also have been thinking about finding a broke headphone and then fixing it and maybe recabling it. Also getting ideas for a headphone stand.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 24
BrownBear: I will have to looking into those more. I have done some reading on those and pretty good things.

I like when people do reviews on headphones but then they compare them to $500 or $1500 sets. Which yeah I get the higher priced ones would be better but my wallet can't take that on one set of headphones.

I picked up the HD 595's last night and oh do they sound good. But like you said that the more I listen to, my opinion will probably change and he fine tuned.

Davidsh: sound card is the creative sound blaster recon3d fatal1ty pro. I got this card for the good price of $60. Other places sell it for $149-$200. For the higher price it would not be worth it. Several people have reviewed and not liked it but the main reason was the price. It has many connection options on the back and can support 600 ohm headphones. I will probably over time move to dedicated DAC and amp and only use sound card for mic and audio capture.

Also have been thinking about finding a broke headphone and then fixing it and maybe recabling it. Also getting ideas for a headphone stand.

There isn't really a pint in getting a DAC if you have a good quality sound card like yours, all you would need is a decent amp to get you started up.

And speaking about headphones, just head down to your local electronics store and try out a bunch, narrow down your options a bit, most people do tend to prefer a specific "type" of sound from a certain manufacturer.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 24
Noobmachine:   Unfortunately the area I live in doesn't have much to offer in trying headphones out. Bestbuy, Target, Walmart.....yeah cheap junk. I've bought enough of that. There are a few places but still trying to track down if they carry a range of headphones or just home theater setups. Trying to see if we can have a audio meet in my area so I could try out things and get to know some of the people. 

You know just thinking about this, but since I've been listening on inferior equipment, I'll have to retrain my ears and listen for all the different sounds. Bums me out a little that I listen to my crappy car stereo on the way to and from work.

Another thought, I have an older Yamaha receiver sitting in my closet. Would I gain anything if I ran a line out from my computer into the receiver and then plugged headphones into that? Or not really worth it?

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
Another thought, I have an older Yamaha receiver sitting in my closet. Would I gain anything if I ran a line out from my computer into the receiver and then plugged headphones into that? Or not really worth it?

Give it a go ofcourse, you might be pleasantly surprised :) Definitely a good chance it'll be worth it, since typically yamaha makes no rubbish products.

Also, 595 for 80 bucks is very good deal and seems like a very good choice in your situation. I have the 598's myself and really think they're great. 595's ought to be quite similar. Only thing lacking I feel is subbass, but I don't have any real problems with them.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #11 of 24
Nirvana Woman: I originally wanted to get the 598 but once these 595's came up for this price, I could pass them up. So far I am happy with these. Maybe after I get a better understand of these things I might be more Sennheisers, but would like to hear different ones. Main ones that sounds like strong next headphones are either Beyerdynamics or AKG. There are others that are either higher priced or haven't looked into them yet.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 24
Cheap junk may not be bad "junk", keep an open mind, some cheap JVC hps are pretty decent performers. Maybe try a local guitar centre, they tend to carry some higher end stuff but usually at a higher price.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 24
Your sound card amp is not optimal. It will have a high output impedance, therefore altering the bass (more bass). That might be good for the hd595, though
biggrin.gif

The yamaha receiver will probably have an even higher output impedance, but give it a go.

IF you wish to upgrade, get an amp and use the sound card DAC.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #15 of 24
Can anyone recommend a good headphone amp? I like the look of tubes but haven't done much looking into them. I read some things on Schiit audio and Fiio. Fiio is all digital from what I can tell and portable where as Schiit would be more non-mobile. 

If anyone wants to give their thoughts on tubes vs solid state vs hybrid, would mind hearing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back