Head-Fier's Essential Software List
Apr 25, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #31 of 63
Apr 26, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #32 of 63
On this note, I recently downloaded Avast! virus checker, and let me tell you, it blows the doors off AVG. Much easier updates, better looking, and supposedly, better checking/removal. That much remains to be seen, but I'm impressed, anyway. Home Edition is free, as with AVG.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 28, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #33 of 63
Does anyone backup their computer data here?
confused.gif
What do you use to backup your stuff? If anyone here owns a portable HD-DAP, then please list the software that you use in conjunction with your device (please list both hardware and software so we know which goes with which). I think it would be helpful to get a clue about what the real pros use for their own purposes. Thank you very much!

May 29, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #34 of 63
Today, I have discovered OpenOffice...and it was a good day! So good that I just had to uninstall and clean my hard disk drive of the Microsoft Office junk. So much for that behemoth. Every day I talk with you guys about software, I learn stuff I could never find in those glossy PC World or PC Magazine periodicals because they're owned by Microsoft and their advertisers.

May 30, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #35 of 63
Does anyone know whether OpenOffice will remain "free" as in no payment forever? I know this is kind of a crystal ball kind of question but I want to know whether there will be a day when I have to pay to get the latest version of OpenOffice. I though that the open source project nature of the program means that it will remain free and full-featured to boot. Am I incorrect in this assumption? Any replies would be helpful.

I posted a thread on the OpenOffice Forum but I want to know if any Head-Fi members can contribute some opinions. Thank you very much!

May 30, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #36 of 63
Microsoft - Windows XP Pro
Microsoft - Internet Explorer 6

Nullsoft - Winamp 5
SqrSoft - Advanced CrossFading v1.6 (Winamp plug-in)
Milkdrop (Winamp plug-in)
Geiss II (Winamp plug-in)
Illustrate - dBpowerAmp Music Converter

CyberLink - PowerDVD
K-Lite Codec Pack

Ahead Software - Nero Burning Rom 6

Unreal Tournament
Battlefield 1942
Counterstrike

IrfanView
Microsoft - Word 2000

Spybot Search & Destroy
Lavasoft - Ad-aware 6.0
280smile.gif

May 31, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #37 of 63
I have just learned that OpenOffice will remain free forever! Yay!

I'm getting into this alternative open source software community! I guess not everybody wants to make a quick buck off of me after all...
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #38 of 63
Most of them have already been mentioned but here a few of my favorites :

Yahoo!POPS - Check Yahoo! webmail through your email client ( Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora )

ENCSpot - Various details about your MP3 files.

WinKey - Program your Windows key in combinations to open your most used files, folders, or programs. It's one of those programs I can't do without now ..

Clipomatic - Remembers copied items to your clipboard and lets you paste them back with a few key touches ... another one of my essential programs.

May 31, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #39 of 63
First, I'd like to make an addendum to my post about AVG and Avast!... Avast! sucks arse. Didn't pick up Sasser, and merrily let it be infected. Popped AVG on, and it nailed it immediately. Functionality is more important to me than looks.

As for OpenOffice, yes, it's free. The GPL covers that. You can burn it on a CD and sell it, if you wish, and it's fully legal, but you also have to include the source code and a copy of the GPL, explaining that they are also allowed to the same.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Jun 3, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #40 of 63
I got official word that Mozilla FireFox and ThunderBird will remain free forver thanks to the open source community of developers. This is just terrrific news. I am now a full fledged fan of open source everything.

Jun 4, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #41 of 63
I think not using windows would be a good reccomendation for head-fiers. If you're a code monkey use an open source OS else use OSX. Note that windows by default upsamples your audio- yuck! not to mention that it (even XP) really acts like a consumer OS circa 99... a lot has changed in five years. not to mention that it is unstable, insecure, etc all leading to less time listening to music or whatever the hell else you guys do with your free time.

anyhow you *nix and *nix-based users out there all need to rip your CDs using cdparanoia and compress them with flac.

no matter which OS you use you'll probably find use for gaim - it's a hell of an IM client

Jul 13, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #43 of 63
I'm too lazy to put links, also most of mine have already been submitted.
EAC
CDex
Winamp 3
Nero 6
Peerguardian
Avg Anti-virus
Sbybot search and destroy
Ad-aware
Pop-up stopper free edition
Direct conect ++
kazaa lite k++
DVD SHrink
DVD Decrypter
Mp3Trim
Tag & Rename
Internet explorer...
Window Washer 5
And Finally... Far Cry and Unreal tournament 2004

Jul 13, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #44 of 63
File Sharing
Newsbin Pro
Azureus Bit Torrent Client
Shareaza
-Bluetack lists for p2p safety
and yes I know it's a bad thing

Misc
Alcohol 120% - run virtual drives off your computer
Zplayer - My media player of choice
Mega Codec Pack of Bit Torrent - really it has every codec ever needed
MBM5 - For those of us overclockers

everything else has been listed extensively I'm sure
tongue.gif

Jul 13, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #45 of 63
Since no one has mentioned these yet,

Mirc - great for all you illegal needs!! Oh yeah, you can chat on it too
FlashFXP- Great FTP program, FXPing is also very useful
Bulletproof FTP server- the best FTP server program out there

I have to second MBM5 as well, its too bad that there will be no more new versions, the developer decided to stop making it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back