Head-Fi Vinyl Geeks! Help!
May 11, 2008 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

strangemusic

100+ Head-Fier
I was at my local record store today (Zulu Records, West 4th, Vancouver... woot!) and found a copy of Jaco Pastorius' self-titled LP, 1976 pressing on Epic records... aside from sleeve shelf wear, it's unplayed. CAT # PE 33949. I love Pastorius, so this was... Jackpot! Now... I looked this record up on Ebay just for a laugh. It seems that all the sellers I ran across were demonstrating copies with a black label with the EPIC logo in script... my copy is labeled bright orange. The cat# matches and all that good stuff. What have I got here? Something odd? A different pressing? If anybody is familiar with their eclectic 70's jazz vinyl facts, any thoughts?

EDIT: 222nd post! I divide a circular Head-Fi into segments the ratio of whose areas is equal to the golden ratio. MAGIC!

May 11, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangemusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: 222nd post! I divide a circular Head-Fi into segments the ratio of whose areas is equal to the golden ratio. MAGIC!

you called?
tongue.gif

But seriously, Discogs has two listings for the vinyl of Jaco Pastorius' s/t:

Jaco Pastorius

So yes, there were two pressings in 1976, one in the Netherlands and one in Japan.

May 11, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 7
It could just be a later pressing of the '76 release. Quite often record companies changed their labels over the years based on marketing, etc. A common example is with Beatles albums on Capitol records. Original pressings had the rainbow stripe on the outside edge, with later pressings having red or green apples, etc. Same thing with RCA - the labels changed colors over the years, but the catalog numbers stayed the same. I'm not sure about Epic, other than pictures of 45's from this site, which indicate that day-glo orange is a late variety pressing.

Sam Holloway - Record Collecting - Sleeves

May 12, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 7
My copy is orange label too...and I bought it a couple months after release*. it's marked 1A on the run-off, but I'm not sure this means first pressing.

Check his Word of Mouth album too!

*I could be off-base here -I used to buy a whole heap of vinyl! Got confusing!

May 12, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 7
Yeah, Epic went with that black design with bubble-script lettering around the turn of the '80s; I kinda think of that as the Michael Jackson era. My parents had Sly Stone 45s from both the yellow ("Stand") and orange ("If You Want Me To Stay") periods.

As for stuff by the Beatles, the other day I looked at my copies of the two Plastic Ono Bands and found that the John Lennon version I have is on Capitol proper (with the rainbow), while the Yoko Ono version (not an outstanding record, but Ornette Coleman plays on it) is an Apple label with the apple-core image.

May 12, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My copy is orange label too...and I bought it a couple months after release*. it's marked 1A on the run-off, but I'm not sure this means first pressing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, Epic went with that black design with bubble-script lettering around the turn of the '80s; I kinda think of that as the Michael Jackson era. My parents had Sly Stone 45s from both the yellow ("Stand") and orange ("If You Want Me To Stay") periods.

Yeah, depending on the label, usually the 1A indicates the vinyl was produced from the first stamper. Not sure if this holds true with Epic? But, based on what steviebee and tru blu found, it sounds like the orange label versions are from the first pressings in the late 70's, and the black labels are from the 80's. For whatever reason, I don't seem to own any Epic releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back