Head-Fi Sound Quality Question
Sep 16, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #16 of 20
Sorry, I won't be able to help a whole lot on the amp side of things, because I don't own one yet
biggrin.gif
. Working on that. If I were you, I'd look at the Xin Supermini 4, but really, just some general reading in the amps forum would be the best help. And I have no idea about the 5g vs. Nano. Sorry!

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot about the LOD's. The LOD connects to the lineout on your iPod, and then to an amp. It doesn't use the headphone jack, and is iPod specific. An IC (interconnect) would be used to go between two devices using mini ports.

Sep 16, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #17 of 20
Tried 5.5G iPod, 2G Nano, iAudio x5L.
no way im gonna get Ipod after listening to iAudio x5 :p
SoundQuality on iAudio x5L is just far more superior.

Will go try out Meizu MiniPlayer and if available the M$ Zune tomorrow
then ill buy it ^^

will Rockbox improve iAudio x5L's sound quality by a big margin like how members here exprience with the iPod?

Amp is going to be hard to find out which is the better Hornet M or SuperMacroMiniMicro IV since there isnt a place where i can try them
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Did you try the ipod and Nano line outs?

no only headphone jacks cuz i was with a friend who owns a x5L and went to an apple store.
may go to a shop which specialize @ selling DAP stuff on Sunday to try it. knowing that shop has the Meizu M6 Miniplayer as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wax4213
What were some of the differences? Thanks.

i dont know exactly how to describe the differences. ill try my best. we brought along a x5l with Super.Fi 3 Studio,Shure i4c and a usb flash memory w/ songs to test. we only tested them thru Headphone jacks.
frown.gif
dont have the equipment to test the line-out of ipods.

2G Nano and 5.5G Ipod sound very much the same, nano's a bit more bassy. noticeable but not significant. comparing to the x5L i feel that the Singer's voice and Music is more ordinary, distanced, and bunched up. its still clear and not muffled tho :p

the difference between WAV and Mp3(which i mostly listen to) were very noticeable on x5L WAV was noticeably better than 320k MP3s. while on the iPod the difference is there but not as noticeable.
For the x5L, the bass and difference between vocal, instruments were very clear, Singer Voice floated out and is very clear, gives the voice alot more feeling. Bass feels solid and thick, its thumps to the heart.
ipod feels more confined, x5L was more lively more 3D. it feels im in the middle of the Music surrounded. very close to the singer. ipods have this feeling but not as grand or clear.
Ipod feels softer while x5L feels more solid and bang. x5L can also go alot louder.
the bareable loudness (the point which its still good) was also higher on x5L.
Sorry for the words i used, they problably are very confusing to many as i dont know the terms to describe sounds. >_<

ohoh and downside of x5L are:
its looks uglier
that joystick isnt as good as the scrollwheel
finding songs may take longer if there are alot of songs (frd said this can be improved if songs are well organized into different folders)
its bigger, thicker (slim is really cool i reckoned)
another controller dangling off it
the interface/program, feels slow/laggy
friend(the owner) of it says it crashes sometimes. (which i never exprienced)

i still have to listen to iriver and meizu, and ipods from line-out before my purchased tho.

it seems that ipod is more convinient and has alot of toys. and i hope its line-out + amp will be as exciting as others describe. ^^

Sep 16, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #18 of 20
Welcome to Head-Fi!....sorry about your wallet
lambda.gif

Before you get any more confused with the myriad of setups seen here at Head-Fi, lemme share my newbie experience with you.

Synergy - that's the very key word that you should seek upon.

Synergy between good can + portable amp + interconnect + high quality source will NEVER fail to satisfy the owner. And it don't have to be expensive as I have discovered.

Sad to say it is very hard to achieve Hi-Fidelity without the aid of an amp - even the puny CMOY basic will trounce any unamped DAP in term of Soundstaging and Spatial Effect. And you will have to look beyond 192bitrate if you have to use AAC or MP3, I settled down with LAME VBR V0 Q0. Go lossless if you can afford the space. Similarly invest a bit on stellar quality Interconnect for your Amp and DAP - don't let those tiny link be the weakest point of your setup. Finally, spend a bit of time figuring out which cans suited you best - go to Head-Fi Headphone section and you will find tons of hints - oh well you could start with cheapo modified KOSS KSC75 or PortaPro or Senn PX100 or Grado SR60 - those are the most popular for portable use. If you wish for something finer go for over $100 cans.

Having said that, I am pretty much settled down with my current rig and saved myself from the limbo of gadget addiction.....well it subsided a bit hahahaha
lambda.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evis
will Rockbox improve iAudio x5L's sound quality by a big margin like how members here exprience with the iPod?

In my experience I prefer Rockbox to the official firmware for music playback on the 30GB X5L. It might be just placebo but I feel that the same tracks played through Rockbox, with flat EQ on both firmwares, possess more clarity true to the source when compared to the official firmware.

IMO, both in OfficialX5-to-Official5G and RockboxX5-to-Rockbox5G comparison, the X5L sounds quite superior when it comes to the headphone-out, though the iPod has the superior line-out (no early bass roll-off on the Pod).

Sep 16, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #20 of 20
rockboxed my x5, thought ii noticed a bit of a change. But it wasnt as pronounced as i hoped. Again it was too close to say definatly, and personally it took away a bit to much finctionality as well.

In 6 months i bet rockbox will be so much better
smily_headphones1.gif
then i wouldnt have to dual boot it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back