Head-fi should adopt a new interface for the For Sale sub-forum
Jul 24, 2010 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

floeezy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not sure if the same goes for other Head-fi users, but I find navigating the For Sale threads to be quite tedious and frustrating.

On many occasions, users forget to update their thread titles to indicate that they have sold the item they listed, resulting in much individual thread navigating and wasted time for potential buyers; furthermore, very rarely do I see both the item name & price asked in the thread title.
For the following reasons above, among others, scrolling through a page in the FS sub-forum to find a particular product or just to get a quick idea on what is currently selling (and at what price) can be an eye-straining and lengthy task.

Moreover, many users forget to include vital information in their For Sale thread’s first post, such as shipping info (approximate price and where the seller is willing to ship), seller's location, seller's feedback, etc.

If Head-fi were to utilize a smarter and more efficient design/interface for the For Sale sub-forum, I believe buying, trading, and selling would be a quicker and more effective experience.
An interface similar to ABI’s vBClassified would be perfect; one has to just click on a random advert to find out why.

Would the For Sale sub-forum truly benefit from a redesign, and would the redesign be possible? Please post any opinions, comments, or ideas.

Cheers

Jul 25, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 11
Even something as simple as changing the rules to include things like mandatory details in the thread/title could achieve what you are looking for.
I can see the merit in your ideas and support them. Sadly getting a staff member to read this section in the forums is a nye impossible at the moment so we'll wait and see what happens.

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 11
I guess staff members are too busy with other bugs at the moment. Time will tell if my suggestion receives attention.

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 11
Sorting by brand and model in FS would be super super helpful, since the search function sucks. Just saying.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 11
The tag system should be used more often. People should be able to tag whether their post is a for sale ad or a want to buy ad. This way, Potential buyers and sellers could quickly sort out the post they are looking for.

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Sorting by brand and model in FS would be super super helpful, since the search function sucks. Just saying.

Yes, that would be a great idea. When searching for a particular model, the "search in this forum" function is literally useless; the reason being, when you press "results by date", you are confronted with the earliest threads (almost always irrelevant) that have the model name either in one of its posts or thread title and not threads that just belong in the forum you originally searched in (in this case, the FS forum). 
My way around this rubbish is to do an advanced search, so I get results that only appear in the FS sub-forum.

One possible solution for this nuisance is to make better use of the columns in the FS sub-forum. Knowing the number of replies and views a FS thread has is basically useless; just as revolink24 pointed out, a "brand" column and a "model" column would be infinitely more valuable.

Quote:
The tag system should be used more often. People should be able to tag whether their post is a for sale ad or a want to buy ad. This way, Potential buyers and sellers could quickly sort out the post they are looking for.

This would also be very helpful.

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 11
It  also just dawned on me... why are all the "dead topic" or those where the product/products have been sold or found still in the same section?
Perhaps adopting a section within for for sale section for those topic which no longer have any value would be a good idea?

Oct 9, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 11
Look here!
I guess they took into consideration the feedback i sent them over 4 months ago
biggrin.gif
, which is pretty quick considering the other issues and bugs they had to deal with.
From what I've seen so far, this interface change is exactly what I wanted and buying/selling/trading should be quick and hassle-free now!
My only suggestion is to add a brand and model column to further simplify the search for a particular product.
Very well done Jude and developers
wink_face.gif

-flo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back