Head-fi remembers Elliott Smith
Oct 20, 2009 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
Six years ago tomorrow Elliott Smith ended his life. I wasn't a fan then, but I hardly was aware of his music. Since then, his music has become a huge part of my musical life and I am just so regretful that I had the opportunity several times to see him perform and never took the opportunity.

Please feel free to post any thoughts on Elliott Smith, the music and or the man.

Try not to make this thread about the conspiracy that he was killed....

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 22
I'm not that familiar with his music, but I suspect his style could grow on me if I take the time to listen more closely.
He took the name Elliott after the street that I currently live on, by the way.

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 22
I absolutely love Elliott Smith, he is my favorite artist and I was too young back then to know about his music. I wasn't into him until 2004 or so and unfortunately never got to see him live. I feel he is one of the most under rated musicians and artists, although he did acquire fame through the Goodwill Hunting soundtrack.

His music speaks to me so well, even though I know I haven't been through all the troubles he has, but with the way he expresses himself it is easy to feel his pain and joy, through his lyrics.

If anyone else is a fan of Elliott Smith there are a lot of great live sets on archive.org

Anyways, R.I.P. Elliott Smith

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*looks at own avatar*

It was your avatar that first interested me, I wondered who it was and bought the LP, It's the only one I have at the minute. I love Figure 8, What should be next on my want list ?

It's a shame he took is own life so young, a real talent.

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was your avatar that first interested me, I wondered who it was and bought the LP, It's the only one I have at the minute. I love Figure 8, What should be next on my want list ?

It's a shame he took is own life so young, a real talent.

Awesome
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm glad someone checked him out because of me

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you like figure 8 check out XO, Either Or and From A Basement on The Hill..............

If you love all those (and I think you will)....Check Out the Self-Titled, and New Moon and Roman Candle

Very good list. XO is a great companion to Figure 8 and Either/Or is my personal (and most other people's) favorite

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 22
Get either/or and XO omegaman.

Elliot Smith... What an interesting human being. Just goes to show that sometimes it takes a troubled soul to create the most beautiful music.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #12 of 22
I discovered him too late, just shortly before his death. His music became a fast friend, and a constant companion.

His passing struck me deeply, like a love affair cut short. He created some of my favorite music, and in the end, way too little of it. He was honest and vulnerable in a way that too few artists today understand. He never tried to be cool, or easy, and while he wasn't always direct, he was always true.

Goodbye, ES, and thanks.

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #14 of 22
XO is the best place to start, Either/Or is the best of the albums, and after that it doesn't matter too much. If your preference is for a more orchestrated sound go for the later albums, or if you prefer the sparer Elliot go for the earlier albums. A high quality of music making throughout.

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #15 of 22
Figure 8 might be the best since its the poppiest, then XO then either/or. Basement is more experimental, s/t and roman candle are low fi and simple. New Moon is all over the place but I would put it toward xo/either/or.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back