Head-Fi Noob Interested in Building Stuff
Apr 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

GimmeCans

Head-Fier

Just wanted to pop in. I have known about Head-Fi for awhile and finally decided to join. 

I am a headphone nut primarily because of the resolution available thru headphones, the freedom from room-setup headaches and placement issues, and because of how much farther an audio dollar goes with headphones fidelity-wise than with speakers. I am something of a Sennheiser fanboy, having owned HD414 (both the 2Kohm originals and the 50 ohm reissues), HD 424, HD580, HD485, PX100, my current 555's, and probably a couple along the way that I forget. I have however also listened to and appreciated AKG and Beyerdynamic models.

I am starting to look at at headphone amps, primarily kits, and figured a headphone-centric forum would have the best information. In the past, I built most of my audio equipment, but the kit market seems to have all but disappeared- except there seems to still be a fair selection of headphone amp kits to scratch my kit-building itch. I am interested in tube or hybrid units although at my budget of $250 there seem to be more solid state options, one exception being the Millett MiniMax offered by Beezar.

Another interesting option is this amp, offered by Silicon Ray. It costs a meager $126+ $35 s/h. Based on the fact that it has a classic point-to-point all-tube circuit, I would expect a "classic" tube character, which wouldn't be too bad with my occasionally dry-sounding Senn 555's. I would jump right on this were it not for the fact that it seems to use obscure tubes (6N1, 6N2, 6Z5P) that I have never heard of and don't show up on tubedepot or Antique Electronic Supply. Does anybody have any knowledge of this amp or another low-buck kit within my price range? (Link to amp page below.) Thanks everybody!

http://www.siliconray.com/6n2-6n1-6z5p-tube-hifi-headphone-amp-kit.html

Apr 24, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 7
I would advise to maybe build a CMOY or even an Objective 2 first. Learn how to solder. Learn the basics of a circuit. Then try building something like a Cavalli CTH (Compact Tube Hybrid). It's not a super hard build. You just have to be careful at certain parts. It's a great amp and allows for tons of tube rolling with 12AU7 and 6DJ8 type tubes. There's an option to add 2 more heater voltages for other types of esoteric tubes. You can build a CTH for $150 plus a little more for a few tubes.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 7
Well, as I mentioned in my middle paragraph, I built most of my audio equipment in the past, starting with a Dyna SCA-80 when I was fourteen years old, followed by a Dyna FM-5, Hafler DH-101, Hafler DH-200, Van Alstine SuperPas 4i hybrid preamp, a Dyna FM-3 restoration, and some odds and ends here and there. So I think I can do a kit given reasonable instructions and a good pictorial diagram. I don't have experience fabbing PCBs or doing metalwork (or time or inclination to start) so am looking for complete-kit type units; from-scratch DIY type projects are out.

The one thing that made me hesitate about the one from my original post was the tube selection, which seems to be obscure to say the least. None of the tube dealer sites I checked seemed to have any info on them.

On the soldering issue, I must confess I have never figured out the proper technique of doing the main ground connection to the chassis on the few tube pieces I have built- it always seems to look like a cold joint to me, even with a solder gun.

Hadn't heard of they hybrid amp you mentioned.  It is right in my target price range and the ability to use common tubes is a big plus. The O2 is on my radar as is the Millett MiniMax, but that is +/- $80 more than the amp you mentioned which I will certainly check out. Appreciate the heads up on that one!

(Checks out the Cavalli...)

Hmmm... looks like some metalwork required, back to the O2 or MiniMax. Thanks though, nice looking little amp. Still early in the search.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 7
Yes the CTH does require some case work. That would be the most difficult part to deal with ie drilling a hole in the top plate so the tube can pop through. Also you'd have to drill some holes into the plastic front plate and back plate for I/O. Finally, you'd have to air wire everything. If that sounds like too much then yeah skip it. You'll find that most advanced amps require case work. That's just the nature of the beast. The O2 and MiniMax are two nice options for easy to build kits that sound decent.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 7
The O2 is starting to look better and. better to me as it is essentially a dual purpose amp, desktop or portable, and readymade enclosure parts and PCBs can be had. It is also $100 less than the mini max. Not looking to drop big coin on this project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back