head-fi member stole another member's headphone and sold them twice!
Dec 18, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #106 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just a suggestion if this is not implimented yet: perhaps we should only allow one membership per IP address. This prevents a person from creating multiple aliases, at least from one computer. Of course industrious cat burglers will just use different computers (even off different nodes), but it will discourage a lot of would be theives.

That isn't workable - it would prevent two very useful things:

1. People who post from more that one computer (like me)
2. People whose primary computer uses DHCP and not static IP addresses (like me)

Dec 18, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #107 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That isn't workable - it would prevent two very useful things:

1. People who post from more that one computer (like me)
2. People whose primary computer uses DHCP and not static IP addresses (like me)

I haven't dabbled too much into php databases, so my suggestion is just a creative/ ignoramus one! Is it possible to allow one IP for membership during signup only? So that you can only make one membership name on one IP. Once your membership gets created, then you can use any IP to sign into the site. Of course if you have many computers on one node using DHCP (like me too), someone could easily just assign a different IP to make another membership. So when doing the initial signup, this signup blocker would just look for the first 3 fields (as an IP has xx.xx.xx.(your local computers here)). Again, this is just a thought for stopping the cat burglers!
eggosmile.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #108 of 126
Quote:

I haven't dabbled too much into php databases, so my suggestion is just a creative/ ignoramus one! Is it possible to allow one IP for membership during signup only? So that you can only make one membership name on one IP. Once your membership gets created, then you can use any IP to sign into the site. Of course if you have many computers on one node using DHCP (like me too), someone could easily just assign a different IP to make another membership. So when doing the initial signup, this signup blocker would just look for the first 3 fields (as an IP has xx.xx.xx.(your local computers here)). Again, this is just a thought for stopping the cat burglers!
eggosmile.gif

Upon signup, perhaps that would work. But I even post on Headfi from hotels and airports when I travel, so the second part of the suggestion would again preclude many of my posts and participation.

Dec 18, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #109 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upon signup, perhaps that would work. But I even post on Headfi from hotels and airports when I travel, so the second part of the suggestion would again preclude many of my posts and participation.

Yeah, that's why it can only work if it's a block during the initial signup. Signing in wouldn't be effected (so once you have your membership, you can use any IP to sign in). I think it's a good idea.....how easy it is to implement, I leave it to the administrators to toy over
eggosmile.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #110 of 126
Back home from another six hour christmas shopping tour - give me arctic water, please, my feet are burning - I opened a package,

a package from Austria:
Sony SA3000 is back.

First time 'catwoman' told the truth.

I will check them later.

Dec 18, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #111 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by superman's ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back home from another six hour christmas shopping tour - give me arctic water, please, my feet are burning - I opened a package,

a package from Austria:
Sony SA3000 is back.

First time 'catwoman' told the truth.

I will check them later.

nice!

Dec 18, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #112 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by superman's ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a package from Austria:
Sony SA3000 is back.

Glad you got your cans back, although that still doesn't excuse what catwoman did, which was criminal fraud.

Dec 18, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #113 of 126
Quote:

eggosmile.gif

When you setup DHCP at home you'll typically need to use network address translation (NAT) in order to give internet access to all the computers on your LAN. This makes all of your machines appear as a single IP to the world outside of your local network. This avoids the issue you mention, since even assigning a new IP address on your LAN will not change the IP head-fi sees you as. It does add another problem though in that you could not have two head-fi members on the same LAN (since all computers appear to have the same IP) which is certainly a possible scenario if you're flatting, etc. The other big downside of using the IP as a way of tracking members this way is that many people are assigned a different IP by their ISP every time they connect to the internet. These issues combined are why not many sites use the IP for this purpose and when they do, it isn't really that accurate.

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #116 of 126
Glad to hear you got your cans back, SE.

One way you can increase security is to required a non-free email address at signup. Doesn't guarentee anything, but it at least makes it a little harder to signup multiple times and hopefully it can be traced back to a user more easily.

Dec 21, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #119 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to hear some are getting resolutions.

Head-fi Forum Justice works.

Don't forget to update and post in the Feedback threads.

-Ed

x100!!!

it would seem that this person finally folded under the pressure brought on by the group here but it certainly doesn't excuse them for what they did. anyone who hasn't followed this story can use the feedback to realize they should stay far away from this particular "member" (i put member in quotes because i really don't consider catwoman part of the head-fi community).

'nuff said.

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #120 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckledragger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is good news.
smily_headphones1.gif
Are they a new pair, a used pair, or (if you can tell) the pair that you originally sent?

A used pair. That's all I can say now.

By the way:
The ebay auction I've published in this thread, was not the first one! She already did it a few days before but she dropped out.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=200055983208

That first auction I haven't seen at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back