Head-Fi Journey & Headphone Advice
Jul 1, 2006 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

audioneophyte

New Head-Fier
Hello!

In my short time here you guys have brought me from this:

To this:

With a few detours along the way (*cough* X-Fi, PA2V2...).

At this point I have to say I think I'm done with source upgrades. The Zhaolu D2 with discrete headphone output and the CS4398 DAC is good enough for me
580smile.gif

My only dilemma is with regards to headphones... I bought a pair of HD280s (to upgrade from the ho-hum 477s) and while I've been happy with them they do have some drawbacks... namely lack of comfort and the strange bass response.

I don't plan to sell them because I really need the isolation at times, but I would like to get something else that I can use for hours on end without developing a headache or sweaty ears.

I've done quite a bit of reading and have ruled out Grados.... I need something that's comfortable out of the box, with standardized pads and most of all good soundstage.

The AKG-701s probably fit the bill, but the price is prohibitive.... so I'm considering the Senn 580s. I've been given a chance to purchase a used pair for 110$US, and I'm quite tempted. On the other hand this would be my 3rd Sennheiser pair in a row and I have yet to own any other brand. Is there any other option in the price range (90-150$US max) that can provide me with:

1) Excellent Comfort, Open circumaural design with a large soundstage
2) Good synergy with the Zhaolu D2
3) Good all around cans (I listen to a wide range of music, European folk, rock, metal, opera, classical, choral anything).

Thanks for help.

Jul 1, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 2
EDIT: Completely missed the $150 cap during my first read-through.

Check out the A700 from Audio-Technica. Though it's not open.. so I guess AD700 but I don't know the price of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back