Head-Fi is a disease...
Mar 13, 2010 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

hardRAWKR

100+ Head-Fier
Okay so I'm now beginning to understand "sorry about your wallet". I thought that with the MS-1's and the AD-700's I could be happy, but now that I have them I want more.
But enough about my problems.

Here's what I'm looking for:
Open headphones that are detailed and forward like the MS-1's but with good soundstage and less harsh. Kind of a compromise between the two phones I have now. I'd also like something with a little more bass than the phones I have now. I don't care about having a lot of bass, mostly I just want something to contrast with the lack of bass in the MS-1's and AD-700's. And I would prefer to stay around $100, but I would be willing to go up to $200. I'd rather hash out another $100+ dollars for a headphone amp, so I would prefer something an iPod Touch can drive by itself.
What do you recommend?

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 18
Do the MS-1000 mod, it brings the bass out in the MS-1's and increases the soundstage considerably. It's the same headphone, but better.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 18
Ad700 on steroid = K701
if you like ad700 but need more bass and overall balance, K701 is for you.
My iPhone have enough power to drive k701 but.. Highly recommend a amp.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nakattack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the MS-1000 mod, it brings the bass out in the MS-1's and increases the soundstage considerably. It's the same headphone, but better.

Does it hurt the forwardness at all? I really like how in-your-face the MS-1's are.

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 18
Nope, mids are still in your face, and the added airiness makes female vocals sound great. The distancer length can be changed to your liking. And they're reallly comfy with the jumbos compared to comfy pads or bowls.

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #8 of 18
It is indeed!
smile.gif

Upgraditis rarely or never stops..

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^
What have you bought recently
tongue.gif

Well, upgraditis have been kind to me the last months. Besides two pairs of PortaPro's last month my previous purchase was the K240 Sextett last summer.
I have had my shares earlier though.
wink_face.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #12 of 18
Nothing wrong with catching a disease that has the side effect of great sounding music.
smily_headphones1.gif

I managed to stay away for years with K701s & HF-1s but now I've caught the bug again.

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, upgraditis have been kind to me the last months. Besides two pairs of PortaPro's last month my previous purchase was the K240 Sextett last summer.
I have had my shares earlier though.
wink_face.gif

Is the Sextett the same as the K240 MkII?

As to the disease, we tend to each focus a lot on something in our lives. For us it's our cans and gear to drive them. This is quite unusual for those who focus their attention in more 'conventional' ways and based on this, consider themselves normal while we are 'diseased', obsessed or whatever. If you look more closely, you realize that obsessions, fancies are more prevalent and tends to be the overwhelming rule, rather than the exception. You don't enjoy this thing as much if you feel guilty about it, even in jest.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Sextett the same as the K240 MkII?

Similar, but not the same.
This one was made back in the 1970s, while the MK2 is from these days.

This post seems to nail it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sextett is the original version of the K240, first made in 1975. It differs from the later versions in that it makes use of a ring of variously-tuned "passive radiators," which are like little driver membranes without voice coils behind them. This tricky and expensive device (also used in a few other AKG headphones of the time, most notably the K340) gives a very precise control over how the acoustic backwave returns to the listener's ear, crucial for spatial presentation and general frequency response. Later K240 lacking this ring of six passive radiators are generally considered sharply inferior to the original version.

As has been noted above, the Sextett can be identified by the color of the metal rings on the earpieces (silver not gold), by the large round perforations in the headband, and by the appearance of the inner side of the earpiece, where the passive radiators are visible behind a plastic grill, encircling the driver.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #15 of 18
^Ah, I see. A collectors item. A good example how great sound comes and goes. The technology to create great sound also waxes and wanes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back