Head-Fi History ?
Jan 6, 2002 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

meithkiller

500+ Head-Fier
I was just wondering how head-fi got started and some of the background about its origins. I was a fairly regular poster at headwize last winter, but got away from the hobby last year during the warmer months due to another interest that consumed most of my time. When I came back to headwize a few months ago, I heard about head-fi, and have been around since. Just curious.

-Keith

Jan 6, 2002 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 20
(putting politically correct head on)

Headwize had some ISP problems back in June, and went off line (so far as we knew then indefinetly), then Jude decided to put up Head-Fi as another forum to run until Headwize was back on its feet, and now they both run pretty much side by side

I think that that is just about the most concise version of the story that there is
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2002 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 20
I believe around May 2001, Headwize was having some severe problems with too much data being moved and too much to mantain it (it's demise was caused by its own success, so to speak)... It was down for a month or so, and all of us headphone nuts were going insane
smily_headphones1.gif

Someone started a Yahoo groups for headphones, but it just wasn't the same. Jude (who at the time won his Max and Total Airhead... grrr
wink.gif
) started this forum within a week of headwize's shutdown with the help of his crazy self-employed job position (something like that). It turned out to be a permanent establishment to coexist with headwize.

And that is it! The Headroom guys were also about to start a forum, but head-fi came first and turned out to be great!

edit: Bah! You beat me to it Duncan...

Jan 6, 2002 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 20
meithkiller,

Duncan pretty much explains it as I would.

HeadWize was running into bandwidth constraint problems, and was growing very quickly. Head-Fi was started to provide a sponsor-supported headphone hi-fi forum that could withstand the increasing costs and demands of a growing forum.

Its roots and original core membership have everything to do with HeadWize.

Head-Fi is purpose-built to support continued growth.

Jan 6, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 20
Thanks all. I had hoped it wasn't a split over any kind of differences (which I couldn't find any evidence of), and it turns out to have not been. Thanks for the answers.

-Keith

Jan 6, 2002 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 20
>>> I had hoped it wasn't a split over any kind of differences

Now you're fishin' for the non-politically correct version. Here's my take:

Chu basically doesn't understand the NEED for a real community to have many parts---social, commercial, governmental. He has a somewhat idealistic perspective; one that is beneficent in intent, but unviable in reality. He couldn't afford the bandwidth of this rapidly growing community and wouldn't explore ways to take corporate sponsorship money to finance the site. Bottom line he crippled himself.

Jude turned this place on in all innocence when Chu was down. Head-Fi kept running after HeadWize came back on because----I guess I'll have to speak from my point of view here and I must admit to heavily lobbying Jude with this view---it was too risky to trust the security of this communities on-going home to Chu's operating philosophies.

I think Chu missed a sure thing when he didn't just turn over his discussion area to Head-Fi and concentrate on creating and organizing content. He has TONS of it there, and Jude (it appears to me) doesn't have the time to do a similar content area. The whole thing saddens me because I think Chu could have been a part in the continuing growth of the headphone community, and now I think he is becoming fringed out.

Jan 7, 2002 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 20
Headwize will always have a special place in my heart. There's nothing wrong in being an idealist. Not many chance for you to be one in the real world. Personally I can understand why Chu did the things he did to keep his independence. Although the downtime was a bummer. I guess he wasn't about to give up his principles. Different as it may be from the rest of us. I don't think he cares much about missing a sure thing. It was HIS site and he can do whatever he wants with it although its success means that it became greater than the person himself. May sound a bit selfish but between his principles and the needs of the masses (the site being of a non-critical nature, ok some may beg to differ) I guess he went for the former. Personally I think he still plays a very big part in the headphone community. As long as there are cmoy amps and its variants lying somewhere in the world, there will always be Headwize.

OK. I hope I make sense. If not take the blue pill. Err...or was that red.

Jan 7, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 20
It's mighty tough to take either one of those pills for the loss of the giving up of the view from the other. Truth is there are about as many pills as there are people and you've got to take yours as the last thing you do befor incarnation.

>>>> I don't think he cares much about missing a sure thing.

I don't think so either. I hope he's having a blast doing it his way. I'm not bummed that he made the choices he did because of some "rightness" or "wrongness" about his decisions. I'm bummed because he had/has the opportunity to do something much greater than be a fondly remembered sidenote in the history of a miniscule branch of the consumer electronics industry.

I may be nuts, but I think we can show the world something here. You all remark how special is this place; believe it. I think something wonderful is happening here. I'd like to see Chu a part of it.

By the way the pill I got was purple with olive green and orange spots. Maybe they were playing a joke on me and fed me one of those disgusting Harry Potter jelly beans.

BTW, I'm on the way to CES in the morning. Me, Danny, Susan, Ivy, Jeanne, and Debbie are driving down in Bertha Lou (the HeadRoom van). So if responces from those folks are sketchy you'll know why.

By the way, all you folks out there who don't know about the "blue and red pill" might enjoy reading "Sophies World". Esentially the history of philosophy told within the telling of the tale of a young girl who has to learn philosophy in order to solve a mystery. Truly a wonderful book.

Summing up the blue and red pill is difficult but heres my shot at it: choosing one pill will cause you to see the world as billions and billions of particulte objects cooperating and competing both chaotically and according to rules, taking the other pill will cause you to see the world as myriad organs of a larger whole organism each connected to the next in some kind of connected larger purpose.

Jan 7, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 20
I also think Headwize has a place in the headphone world. Or, more to the point, it had.

<non-political operating mode on>
I tried to stay away from Head-Fi for a long time since I felt it was going to fragment an already established group. Nevertheless, later I did understand Chu's attitude changed a lot. I don't know why, but he started censoring threads, and when asked about it, he would say something like "it's my board, and I can do as I please with it". Which is 100% true, BTW.

Still, I think many of us found out that most of the knowledgeable people left Headwize for good, and established themselves here. I was getting tired of seeing newbie threads every day, and I missed many of you guys. So I moved here for good.

I also hope someday Chu realizes he can do so much more for our community by joining forces, instead of by becoming a fringe player.
</non political operating mode off>

Jan 8, 2002 at 10:25 AM Post #11 of 20
Sorry, I was just curious since I missed it all this summer. Didn't mean to dredge up any unresolved feelings from anybody. I still participate on both boards, but a lot of stuff is duplicated on both boards and it seems like Head-fi gets about four times the posts headwize does, therefore, I'm here most of the time.

-Keith

Jan 8, 2002 at 1:32 PM Post #12 of 20
Maybe a minor point, and maybe not so minor. Head-Fi's web design and user interface is attractive, intuitive and works wonderfully. The Headwize site is, well, pretty dull from a visual standpoint and not as user friendly.

Jan 8, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
Maybe a minor point, and maybe not so minor. Head-Fi's web design and user interface is attractive, intuitive and works wonderfully. The Headwize site is, well, pretty dull from a visual standpoint and not as user friendly.

Ouch!!
eek.gif

Jan 10, 2002 at 2:55 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Tyll Hertsens
I'm bummed because he had/has the opportunity to do something much greater than be a fondly remembered sidenote in the history of a miniscule branch of the consumer electronics industry.

I personally think he started Headwize to simply share his enthusiasm, love and ideas for all things headphone which he thinks was lacking on the Internet at that time. He didn't aim for greatness but just want to keep the spirit of the Internet and that is the sharing of information. For that alone he deserve (and I think he is) more than be a sidenote in history. Small it may be. Without Headwize, there would be no Head-Fi. If everybody migrates to Head-Fi (ok maybe not all), I think it would still be fine with him. His primary target is still achieved. And that is the love of Headphones. At the end of the day, that's what it's all about isn't it? He just wanted that small space in the world (ok just cyberspace) and contribute his share. How many of us can say that we do the same? If it means going non-commercial, non-governmental and purely social, then there is nothing wrong with the way he went about doing it. So it gave us withdrawal symptoms when the site went down. For that he deserve the death penalty. (ok joking!). I think he tried very hard to make it work without giving up his principles but at the end of the day it just proved insurmountable. He still needs to keep his day job and couldn't risk anything more in order to expand or improve the website. In the end Head-Fi came about to fill the void and he must have breathe a sigh of relief although a little sad now that most people go to Head-Fi instead of Headwize. Yes, I'm one of those people and feeling damn guilty about it.

Without Headwize I wouldn't have gained entry into the big bad world of hi-fi. I wouldn't even dare to enter its waters. Headwize eased me slowly into it. Now look where it got me. Broke. (ok joking)

As for the pills, I was referring to the Matrix. Didn't expect a lot of other colors or turn into a philosophical question. I just wanted people to forget what I say if they don't understand.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by fjhuerta
I also think Headwize has a place in the headphone world. Or, more to the point, it had.

For you to deny Chu his place in the headphone world is wrong. Just plain wrong. If I had created a website on microphones and only one person visited and learn something from it, then I would have done my share in contributing something back to the Internet community. The headphone world doesn't revolve itself around just one or two websites. Or only the popular ones. The fact that Headwize is attracting newbies with newbies questions proves as much. And remember, nobody remains a newbie forever. Just the fact that he has an alternative view or opinion means that he has already contributed something back. I sure as hell wouldn't want any newbie to take the words of the veterans as gospel.

I can understand the advantages of combining Headwize and Head-Fi together. At the same time I can also understand the desire by Chu to keep them separated (it may be for selfish reasons, I don't know). Separate websites makes the community divided you say? So what? I used to be a PDA enthusiast and I can tell you that I enjoy visiting all the many (very many) websites with its very varied opinions, separate forums, both commercial and non-commercial. Every website has its own unique characteristics and contribution. I say the more websites the merrier. It only serves to expand the headphone world and quicken its advancement. So what if some of them fails. It only serves to make the others stronger.

Somebody once said that it only requires you to change just one person for you to change the world. No matter how small that thing may be. Chu did that for me.

Ok. That was a bit long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back