Head-Fi has ruined me
Jan 9, 2006 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bjackson

100+ Head-Fier
Here is yet another thread dedicated to the ruination of my wallet.

I came here in the summer, searching for some decent headphones under 150 so I could stop annoying my neighbors.

Now I am running a SB2 (digital out) -> DEQ2496 -> Maxed Pimeta -> Sennhesier HD650s

and that's not the suprising part.

The part that I find horrible, is I keep thinking "Man, I have such a cheap rig. My EQ is only 300 new, and my source is consumer grade. My amp could use a new highly regulated power suppply, and well, that stock cable on the 650s should would look cooler if it was a Blue Dragon.."

Jan 9, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 13
psu is a good idea. I need to get one too. what would be cooler is if you got some upgraded k1000s. of course then you need a better amp, source, everything.

k1000smile.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 13
I know you don't want to hear this, but the weak link in your chain is the source, followed by the amp, and the EQ won't even need to be in there once the other two are taken care of. Upgrades Ahoy, it's going to be choppy seas ahead!
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 13
Gar, I feel your pain. I came here hoping to find something comparable to SR60s and ended up with everything you see in my signature. And lately I've considered selling off the K701 and M3, and upgrading my A/V receiver to a music-only integrated amp (I'd prefer to have a nicer stereo setup than headphone setup...but you certainly get more bang for the buck with headphones), but they'd sure be tough to part with...

Jan 9, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 13
The main reason I have my DEQ is for my stereo setup, which is currently
SB2 -> DEQ -> (Optical) -> Onkyo TX-602 -> NHT 3's.

I think that equalizers are neccisary in almost any stereo setup, especially non headphone related. the EQ serves as a DAC and only slight eq (+3 db from 10-20k and +4 db from 20-40).

Jan 9, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 13
Well it's more of taking classes at 600 dollars an hour. Headphones pale in comparison, however, because of said classes, 350 for a pair of headphones seems like BIG money.

Jan 9, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #10 of 13
Hey,

Don't worry. This hobby is great because if you decide to give it up, there'll always be a buyer. You lose a little but that difference equates to the joy you had ---> reading - researching - discussing - auditioning - buying - reviewing - selling. Lastly, you make friends here!

Najib

Jan 9, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjackson
and well, that stock cable on the 650s should would look cooler if it was a Blue Dragon.."

The best cables I hear are balanced cables
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
Welcome, but sorry, your wallet hasn't been ruined by Head-Fi standards.

Keep working on it...
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL I was thinking the same thing. That's all ya got and you've been here how long? You ain't there yet.
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

But then again, you're only 20 and the amount of money is all relative.... nah, what am I thinking? You still got more work to do. Ever hear of Team Ramen?

If it's any consolation, I came here with only my very humble workout rig and SR60. The rest is post-HeadFi. And the sig doesn't include the 4g 40gb iPod, PocketDock, PX100, E888LP, Porta Corda MkII and Waterfield bag that I lost a month ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back