head-fi hams! give me a reason to fix my radio..
Sep 1, 2002 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

millerdog

1000+ Head-Fier
I know there are some ham radio people here...
reveal yourselves!
NH6MA,
73's,
md

Sep 1, 2002 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 11
cq, cq? nh6ma calling cq?
cq cq? nh6ma calling cq?
man I feel like that little girl in "Contact"
md

Sep 1, 2002 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 11
biggrin.gif
M0NNT & G7NNT here

Go on... fix that radio. I'm sure you'll have twitchy CW fingers that mourn the loss of the rig.

Sound as ever!

Listening to Ozark Mountain Daredevils - Men From earth
on Pro-ject RPM 9 T/T / 9c Carbon Fibre Tonearm / Kontrapunkt a
via Paravincini EAR834p sig >-- 2 x Tube technology Genesis monoblocks (EL34)> Spendor Sp3/1 BBC Style Monitors.

eek.gif
Holy ****. I think I died and must be in heaven.

Sep 4, 2002 at 10:19 AM Post #7 of 11
Does this count as a QSO?
Man, you guys got me looking for my old log books and QSL cards.
I can only do CW...but I am reminded of listening for that watery sounding skip coming over the north pole that was European stations. I bagged Italy, and some others(I gotta look at my cards) by waiting for that winter skip.
Okay, I think it's time for ole NH6MA to fire up again. My old Kenwood TS430 has gotta go in the shop..
md

Sep 4, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by TaffyGuy
internet killed the radio ham.
rolleyes.gif
knock yourself out though.. i never got into it really (got my license when i was 11 -- dad's idea)

buh bye
KE6MZF signing off.

I was going to ask about this. While I think KILLED is not quite accurate (I grew up in Dayton, Ohio and the Hamvention is still going strong!), it does seem to have taken any luster out of ham radio -- well, any luster it ever had!
smily_headphones1.gif

So, hams, has the internet killed ham radio? What effect has it had?

Sep 5, 2002 at 7:01 AM Post #10 of 11
When a hurricane hits and power is down, who is up and running?
A boater at sea sends out a MAYDAY, who is there to listen?
Whatever, for me, it was the joy I found, getting into Europe running 60 watts off of an inverted V dipole. It was the joy I had during a freaking long and broken QSO finding out the dude was in Alaska QRP keying down with a half watt. The joy was making my first 2m yagi and finding out it freaking worked! I miss hearing "Waltzing Matilda" as radio Australia began broadcasting. I miss the BBC. I miss Radio America. I miss searching out pirate stations. I miss hearing phonetic codes coming out of Hickam Air Force Base. I miss hearing weather reports from far away airports. Hell I even miss that damn Russian over the horizon radar.
I think what I miss the most is calling CQ and wondering who is going to come back.
Will the internet replace scanning the band? I don't think so.
md

Sep 6, 2002 at 5:33 AM Post #11 of 11
My father has been an Extra Class since about 1963...being one of the "Old Dogs" he only likes CW on 40 meters and will only use home made antennas. His newest homemade antenna is incredibly complex and massive which is some sort of dipole but looks more like a random mass of wires, fiberglass poles and assorted wooden brackets and even some tennis balls...he recently bought a place in a condo but decided to spend 40 grand more to move two rooms down the hall...why?...cause he wanted a better antenna location...now THAT'S a Ham for you...

i still listen on my Sangean ATS-909 short wave radio occasionally using a wire antenna but its seems this past cycle went kaput...even the local CB'ers have pretty much died off...them ungodly illegal mega watt, pot smokin, foul mouthed buggers...got'ta luv them...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back