Head-fi Google Earth map layer?
Oct 30, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #16 of 27
My zip code is for a small city in Pennsylviana. There are about 14 to 15K people here. It'd be cool to be on the map. And given that my handle is yashicaman, who knows who I am. My house is protected by big dogs, little viscious children, and a killer goldfish (it ate my frog!). Let's do a map (btw, I'm fascinated by GIS stuff and teach a course in crime mapping).

Cheers!

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #17 of 27
I'd be totally down for it. I'm within a few blocks of
40.75° N, 74.03° W

Do we even have to link usernames to locations? If people are really concerned, they could just make their info anonymous, but it would help to get a general idea of where the densest head-fier populations are.

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #19 of 27
Well, I'm in as well as long as people don't want me to give my exact location. Maybe the biggest city near you?

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first idea was yeah cool. Though people can easily check what gear you have at what location. Too risky and I don't think we should allow it.

All me to paraphrase him: "He pities the foo that share their information!"

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #21 of 27
Why Google Earth? Too troublesome to install some program when you can have a web based app. Doesn't Google Maps feature a thing like this?

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #22 of 27
Oct 30, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why Google Earth? Too troublesome to install some program when you can have a web based app. Doesn't Google Maps feature a thing like this?

Yup! KML files can be displayed in either Google Earth or Google Maps. It is easy to set up.

If there is interest from our admins, I would be glad to help set up a KML file that you could customize with head-fi data.

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm in as well as long as people don't want me to give my exact location. Maybe the biggest city near you?

With lat/long coordinates, you could be as truthful as you want to be.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #25 of 27
it would even be cool just to see where the general hf-population is more dense, like the satelite night-shots of europe.
Europe.jpeg

but i guess there are not really that much headfiers

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it would even be cool just to see where the general hf-population is more dense, like the satelite night-shots of europe.
http://www.novaspace.com/POSTERS/PHOTO/Europe.jpeg

but i guess there are not really that much headfiers

In some parts of the US maybe, but certainly not in Europe.

Nov 4, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #27 of 27
we need to spread the headphonevirus just so the map will look like that
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back