Head-Fi Front Page
Oct 15, 2001 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26
Head-Fi's front page is finally up, but it's still not totally done. Some of the links aren't active yet, but I put it up so you could see it.

I couldn't pull any of my web designers off of the projects they were working on, so I did this page myself. I am not a web designer.

The page can be seen at http://www.head-fi.com

Oct 15, 2001 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 26
very professional looking frontpage Jude! looks business, well done
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2001 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Jude wrote

so I did this page myself. I am not a web designer.

I really like the simplicity of the design Jude. I think keeping it simple will encourage new members to check it out. Great job!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2001 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
Well, it's certainly different. I guess the "search for new posts" link is still there somewhere.

it is, just go to the main forums page.

Oct 15, 2001 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
Well, it's certainly different. I guess the "search for new posts" link is still there somewhere.

aeberbach,

I was afraid I'd confuse you all, so I want to make sure it's understood that this new page isn't intended to replace the forums front page. The forums front page will stay the same. This is just the introduction page -- the actual front page of Head-Fi.

The forums front page will be the same, located at http://www.head-fi.com/forums

This new page will be for people to see when they type in http://www.head-fi.com

So if you're bookmarked to the front page of the forums, that won't be affected at all.

I will also be putting a description of Head-Fi and what it's all about on the front page or linked from there, per Neruda's suggestion.

Oct 15, 2001 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 26
Not bad, not bad. I'd like to see side menus showing the five most recent announcements and reviews. Sort of like at Anandtech.

Oct 15, 2001 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Not bad, not bad. I'd like to see side menus showing the five most recent announcements and reviews. Sort of like at Anandtech.

That's a great idea, and one we might be able to do eventually. I must emphasize that I would probably need one of my company's web designer's help (trust me, this page that I'm showing you is pretty much fully exploiting the meager skills I have as a web designer
tongue.gif
).

The page will likely get better and better when at least one of my company's web designers can take a look at it.

Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Nice job!

I have http://www.head-fi.org bookmarked. Any differemce in the .com and .org versions, and why have both? For back up?

When I register a domain, I usually go for .com, .net, .org just to have them all. For Head-Fi, I think we registered all three of those extensions for headfidelity, head-fidelity, head-fi, and headfi.

Wow, you all are being very nice! Thanks. My feelings won't be hurt at all by suggestions, critiques. But please keep in mind that anything fancy will likely have to wait until I can get someone far more competent than myself in terms of web design to help me out.

Oct 15, 2001 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 26
Hmm.....at first, I was quite disappointed, since I thought the forums home page had been.....destroyed.
frown.gif

But now that I know what REALLY has happened....

WAY TO GO, JUDE!

It looks great - simple, readable, and easy to navigate
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2001 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 26
Great design and some nice ideas Jude!

The review list at the bottom might want to go on a seperate page because eventually it will become too long and you'd want to group sort/reviews.

Oct 15, 2001 at 9:48 PM Post #14 of 26
nice! just visited the headfi store (that beer stein caught my attention...maybe for my roommate :p). just thinking that you might want to change the background to a darker color, as all that white merchandise makes it kinda difficult (from my screen) to see. keep up the good work
smily_headphones1.gif

hey, how you like my new avatar? hope i'm not breaking any laws
eek.gif

Oct 15, 2001 at 9:55 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by MooGoesTheCow
nice! just visited the headfi store (that beer stein caught my attention...maybe for my roommate :p). just thinking that you might want to change the background to a darker color, as all that white merchandise makes it kinda difficult (from my screen) to see. keep up the good work
smily_headphones1.gif

hey, how you like my new avatar? hope i'm not breaking any laws
eek.gif

Yeah, I'm using Cafe Press' background -- I mean, you think they'd change that since most of the products are white! Anyway, we'll go to a more custom Cafe Press layout at some point.

Regarding the avatar: I believe defacing the Head-Fi logo is a capital offense in a few smaller countries, but you should be okay here.
wink.gif
"Moo-Fi" does have a nice ring to it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back