Head-Fi for speakers ?
Jan 1, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #18 of 35
As I visit AVSforum more, I find the evilness of head-fi to be diminishing. That said, AVS is much more evil than head-fi.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by wackydesigner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Klipsch is nowhere near high-end. Try B&W 800 series, Sonus Faber, Martin Logan etc.

I stated "High end Klipsch" if I'm not mistaken. I did not say Klipsch were high end speakers. The Klipsch forums discuss THEIR higher end models like the Heritage line which includes Klipschorns, LaScala, Belle Klipsch, Cornwall, Forte, Heresy, none of which would be considered "low end", would they? Not the BPC you find at Best Buy. I'm sure if someone has listened to Klipsch Heritage speakers with proper amplification, they might consider them high end, or they would hate them as a lot of people do.
wink.gif

Klipschorns can't be too bad. They've been making them since 1947. Pretty good design if you ask me, and the people who've been buying them since 1947.

Jan 1, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup. Thanks everyone.
icon10.gif

BTW, any direct links to comparative frequency charts for speakers...?
...like HeadRoom's Headphone charts ??

Well, compared to headphones, there are tons and tons of different speakers there is always lack of this and that model from that kind of charts.

Secondly, frequency is just one single variable. I personally think you cant tell anything about the SQ, in fact, about anything of a speaker as today most of the models (except the cheapos, of course) are done relatively high quality with quite a flat response. In addition, compared to headphones speakers are affected of many other thing that dont aply to headphones, such as room acoustics, positioning etc. Therefore some speaker with "crappy" frequency response can sound really nice well positioned in certain rooms and vice versa.

And like headphones, there are also other characteristics frequencies doesnt tell, such as soundstage etc. that add more to the flavour...

Jan 2, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe headfi could begin to also cover chat about speakers one day?

Yup.
biggrin.gif
Make it happen mods/advertisers.

Any more ?? ???

Jan 2, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by blent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I stated "High end Klipsch" if I'm not mistaken. I did not say Klipsch were high end speakers. The Klipsch forums discuss THEIR higher end models like the Heritage line which includes Klipschorns, LaScala, Belle Klipsch, Cornwall, Forte, Heresy, none of which would be considered "low end", would they? Not the BPC you find at Best Buy. I'm sure if someone has listened to Klipsch Heritage speakers with proper amplification, they might consider them high end, or they would hate them as a lot of people do.
wink.gif

Klipschorns can't be too bad. They've been making them since 1947. Pretty good design if you ask me, and the people who've been buying them since 1947.

Yes my mistake. Misunderstood your statement there. Yea the heritage is up there. But I wouldn't look twice at their latest offerings (RF's). I've never heard more fatiguing speakers! You can get much much better for the same price. Although, they are powerful speakers.

Jan 2, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by wackydesigner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes my mistake. Misunderstood your statement there. Yea the heritage is up there. But I wouldn't look twice at their latest offerings (RF's). I've never heard more fatiguing speakers! You can get much much better for the same price. Although, they are powerful speakers.

The exact same thing could be said of Grados. Just because they're fatiguing to you doesn't mean they're rubbish. Different strokes for different folks, just like everything else in life. Not all of us prefer ground thumping bass or "liquid" (I.e.-Embellished term for laidback) highs.

Jan 2, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The exact same thing could be said of Grados. Just because they're fatiguing to you doesn't mean they're rubbish. Different strokes for different folks, just like everything else in life. Not all of us prefer ground thumping bass or "liquid" (I.e.-Embellished term for laidback) highs.

I never said rubbish. I just said for what they are and for the price they charge, you can find wayyy better. Its not a matter of brightness or laidback. Its the way the speaker presents the music. Very shrilling and forceful. Its like supporting Bose. You cannot defend Bose and say "some people prefer their sound." Its because they haven't heard a good system and they compare it to other Best-Buy speakers. I don't know...maybe I'm wrong. But I've noticed I treat Bose-supporters with very little respect.

Jan 2, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #25 of 35
I've heard full range and monitor offerings from Von Schweikert, Sonus Faber, JM Lab's Utopia line, B&W, Paradigm, Wharfedale, Vandersteen, Revel, Thiel, Avantegarde, and recently Martin Logan. These speakers had been set-up with front ends and seperates from Krell, Esoteric, Cary, Chord, Boulder, ML, Classe, Halcro, and Simaudio, costing anywhere from just $3000 all the way to $60,000+. I don't consider myself an expert at speakers, more of a speaker newbie actually, but nor do I consider myself a Bose lover and an uninformed "Best Buy" auditioner.

Jan 2, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #26 of 35
^^ Funny you should mention Best Buy, in that the one on Queens Blvd. (New York for you non NY'rs) now has a special room in the back which hosts a couple Martin Logans, Sonus Fabers, and a few other interesting picks. The receivers though, are not as matched. A few good ones, but there are no Marantz, NAD or anything like that. A couple Denon's, Pioneer (Elite) and other standard fare.

Jan 3, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup. Thanks everyone.
icon10.gif

BTW, any direct links to comparative frequency charts for speakers...?
...like HeadRoom's Headphone charts ??

graphCompare.php

Oooh look at the pretty rainbow

Jan 3, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Spot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ Funny you should mention Best Buy, in that the one on Queens Blvd. (New York for you non NY'rs) now has a special room in the back which hosts a couple Martin Logans, Sonus Fabers, and a few other interesting picks. The receivers though, are not as matched. A few good ones, but there are no Marantz, NAD or anything like that. A couple Denon's, Pioneer (Elite) and other standard fare.

Quite a few Best Buy dealers are now carrying Martin Logan in their Magnolia HT section of their store. They're an authorized dealer but most of them only carry the Designer line (I only got to audition the Claritys, sadly no Summits) and not the higher end ESL line. MLs also require quite a bit of power and frankly, a receiver (Exception perhaps being the new Denon 5805s, which I've heard fair pretty well) just isn't capable of outputting that kind of juice. Because of this, from what I've read on MLO I can't really judge what I heard at Best Buy because they weren't really being driven anywhere near their potential. (Most ML systems have as much or more invested in their front end components and amplifiers as the speakers themselves)

Jan 3, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #29 of 35
Talking about speakers on a headphone forum is like talking about real cars on an RC forum.
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talking about speakers on a headphone forum is like talking about real cars on an RC forum.
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

Not everyone can have as nice of a rig as yours, Sleestack.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back