Head-Fi for sale forums and BidPay
May 10, 2005 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

loafier

100+ Head-Fier
Is it possible to use BidPay to pay sellers here on Head-Fi? I've never used BidPay before, but from reading the site, it looks like you can mail money orders to sellers online, which could be handy if that's what the seller accepts. It seems like you have to input an item number, though, and Head-Fi doesn't have item numbers. The pay form warns, "Your order will not be processed without the correct item / order number." I'm not sure what would happen if a bogus number is plugged in there..

May 10, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 7
Is bidpay=western union?

If it is, i wouldn't use it.

May 10, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 7
The cheapest way to transfer money is via Moneybooker because for transferring money from one account to somebody else's you pay only 1% fees but $0.5 max. Downloading the money to your bank account makes it another $2 or $4 depending on the country you live in.

Much cheaper (albeit a bit less convenient) than paypal and more people should use it. I use moneybooker to transfer my monthly money from Germany to Switzerland. Cheaper than bank transfer and safer than carrying it with me across the borders.

May 10, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 7
Both Bidpay and Western Union are run by the same huge company (First Data Corporation):

http://www.firstdata.com/abt.jsp

Personally, I'd rather use Bidpay any day over Paypal. Although the buyer pays, it's much safer for both seller and buyer in my opinion. The money goes either straight into the seller's checking account, or they're sent a Western Union branded money order.

I've never had a single problem or issue with Bidpay. I've had multiple problems with Paypal, and in fact I no longer have an account with them.

Edit -- Bidpay is only for auctions, so it wouldn't be appropriate for buying/selling on Head-Fi.

http://www.bidpay.com/payFAQSending.asp#6

May 10, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 7
There's was a thread a while back on how to work it out with bidpay. Basically you just fill the auction fields with garbage (random numbers or similar) and hope it goes through
evil_smiley.gif

May 11, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
There's was a thread a while back on how to work it out with bidpay. Basically you just fill the auction fields with garbage (random numbers or similar) and hope it goes through
evil_smiley.gif

Probably a bad idea... suppose you sell someone something (non-auction), and they did a chargeback on their credit card? Bidpay could accuse both the seller and buyer of misusing the service, with who-knows-what consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back