Head-Fi Folding@Home: Join the team!
Sep 8, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #241 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
but still, with the amount of power that old machine is using, you should just get a new fast one
biggrin.gif

heh, that's true... or get a new fast one while still keeping the old one to do timeless tinker WU's.
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #243 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
but still, with the amount of power that old machine is using, you should just get a new fast one
biggrin.gif

The infidel dares to insult the power of a PII... shame on you. PII's are timeless masterpieces, beautiful in their simplicity.

That being said, I think it's going to end up being used as a dedicated router/firewall (Gigabit, of course) running a highly cored down Gentoo. CLI only, baby. Oughta be awesome.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Sep 9, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #244 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
The infidel dares to insult the power of a PII... shame on you. PII's are timeless masterpieces, beautiful in their simplicity.

That being said, I think it's going to end up being used as a dedicated router/firewall (Gigabit, of course) running a highly cored down Gentoo. CLI only, baby. Oughta be awesome.

hey im just sayin
wink.gif

my website is still on my ancient poweredge 2200... dual PII 333's baby
biggrin.gif
(folding of course)

damn hurricane killed my uptime too
frown.gif
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=flecom.net

Sep 10, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #245 of 384
Just wondering...how many of you people are actually leaving your computer on overnight/overweek/overmonth/for an extended period of time? I thought about doing it, but the ventilation in my study where my computer is is really bad and the heat generated is very noticeable. And I'm also concerned a bit about power usage...

But prepared to see a jump in my computer's productivity during the winter.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #247 of 384
If your computer is properly cooled (if it's a manufactured one that hasn't been modified or overclocked, it's properly cooled), there's no reason why it should overheat running 24/7. You may want to get a couple system monitoring tools to check your HD/CPU/case temperature, and alert you and/or shutdown the system if it overheats, though. If a fan were to go out, that could very well happen. P4s and Athlon XPs (and I assume the new 64s as well) have onboard heat sensors that will shut down the system if it reaches X degrees, which is set in the BIOS. My XP 2000+ is set for 75C, for instance. Pretty much on the bleeding edge of it's heat handling. Although I have had another 2000+ running at 70C all day, and quite stable, as well.

As for power consumption, obviously, the longer it's running, the more power it'll suck. I personally would leave my Folding machines on 24/7, however, parents beg to differ. Ah well. They run a good 16 hours a day anyway; that's pretty decent. F@H only gets killed if I'm going to be doing benchmarking, Photoshop, or gaming.

Sep 11, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #249 of 384
the team is in the top 300 now.
biggrin.gif

if anyone is interested, here's another fine stats site (links to the Head-Fi team page). I use this one primarily for FAH since I think it is the best one out there for the project. I was going to link it earlier but they didn't have the individual user stats for the Head-Fi team listed yet due to being a new team... but I guess all that was updated about a month ago and I didn't notice it until now.
tongue.gif
anyways, try it out.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...php?s=&t=35126

(click on the links in the left column for individual user stats (team users, then click on a user), more team info, and stats of every team to see how team Head-Fi is doing in terms of production)

EDIT: apparently I linked to the stats page a while back... but it didn't list stats for individuals on our team back then. so... I did link it before (thus that part of the original post is not correct), but now it is better so just thought you guys might want to check it out.

Sep 11, 2004 at 2:18 PM Post #250 of 384
Woah, thanks for that link ayt999, it's a very nice stats page, better than the one donovansmith did (sorry!). It's pretty damn complete, it has just about anything you would want to know and more. Pretty neat!
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #251 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiPi
Woah, thanks for that link ayt999, it's a very nice stats page, better than the one donovansmith did (sorry!). It's pretty damn complete, it has just about anything you would want to know and more. Pretty neat!
biggrin.gif

I didn't code the one on the site, and have been meaning to get around to try to fix it's fuzzy math. I'll admit it could use some serious improvement. The main use for it is to be able to get an image that shows your individual stats and the team stats in your signature at forums that allow for images in sigs. It's what's providing the image in the first post in this thread with the team stats.

The ExtremeOverclocking page is very useful especially with it's predictions of overtaking the various teams. As of this writing we are at 296th place (top 300, woohoo!) not acounting aggregate teams and in 301st counting aggregate teams. Very good job team
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #252 of 384
It will probably take use 3 months to hit top 200. After that i doubt we will go any further for a LONG time.

Sep 15, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #253 of 384
i been running f@h here for 3 years now for Overclockers Australia, team no. 24
currently ranked no.1 overall and doesnt look like dropping off very soon (the team is producing head-fi's current overal total in just 24h)

i should send a few wu's off for head-fi, though your not getting me to convert
tongue.gif
cool.gif

fold on!

Sep 16, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #255 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by viviorunitia4
well, I upgraded my computer to dual athlon 2800+ mp's, but i'm not quite sure how to go about getting the second processor folding... if anyone knows what to do or could point me in the direction of some directions, that would be great

You would have to run another instance of F@H, since each application can only use up 100%, which in this case is only one processor. You might have to install another copy of F@H in another folder, and run that, but I'm not completely sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back