Head-Fi Folding@Home: Join the team!
Apr 25, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #346 of 384
Is anyone crunching for the World Community Grid? I picked them over f@h because they work on a variety of projects related to improving public health.

I'd be more than happy to switch alliances from the MacNN team to a head-fi team, as long as I'm not the only one.

--Chris

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #347 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
leave it on all the time

also if you have a dual core cpu you should run the windows smp client because it will get you like 1,000-1,500 points per day

OK cheers. I've got a Core Duo running at 2Ghz and F@H uses about 55% of my CPU. Does that smp client thing (no idea what this is) reduce that usage?

EDIT: nevermind, found it out

EDIT 2: wooo its about 95% all the time now! But its working much faster

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #348 of 384
If fah is running correctly you should be at 100% cpu usage all the time. However, this does not result in a noticably slower computer. The fah console is set to lowest priority so that if ANY application needs cpu cycles it immediately gets them.

Fold on!
icon10.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #349 of 384
My hosting and domain name went away 6 months or so ago, and most of the content on that domain had a serious case of bit rot. The stats page on there had probably stopped working a year and a half ago. Knowing that people are still on the team, though, I will go ahead and reinstall the client and start contributing again although under the username donovan1983 instead. I've got an AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+ now, so I'll likely be contributing much more than before.

Edit: I'll also get my iBook in on the folding. It's an old PPC unit, but should still be able to contribute something.

Apr 26, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #350 of 384
Alright, I've been thinking about doing this for a while, and I just stumbled onto this thread. I've just contributed my paltry 1.3Ghz Celeron processor to the cause, with all 256mb RAM! It's like spitting into the ocean, really. But, it's all for a good cause. I'll have my C2D MacBook soon enough

Apr 26, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #351 of 384
donovansmith: Make sure to run the windows smp client on the x2 as it will have much higher yields than two normal consoles.

sebascrub: That celeron should be good for like 100-150ppd

EDIT: I am not sure if any of you know but the ps3 allows for folding now and is good for about 600ppd

Apr 26, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #352 of 384
I was like "Gah why isn't it working?" and it turns out I didn't have a password for my user *hits head* lol so I created one and that worked just fine hahaha.

I'm running the SMP client on my 2.2GHz sunbox now :3

soo
2x1.13GHz P3
1x1.4 Athlon XP
2x2.2GHz Opteron

I might be able to ninja some more computers too mwhahahahaha

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #354 of 384
Very cool, never knew about a Head Fi fah team. I figured I'd throw my dual core Opteron into the mix and have it do something while I'm away at work.
icon10.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #356 of 384
The SMP client does not work properly
mad.gif
It has botched two different work units and wasted many hours of time. The most recent one completed to 100% but it complained of going past some loop and won't send the work unit. Until they figure out how to fix this thing I'm not going to bother with running up my electric bill on faulty software.

Edit: And my hardware is fine. I can let it sit for days encoding video and there are no issues.

Apr 30, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #357 of 384
Heh... cant do F@H because school proxy doesn't support 8080... I do Rosetta, TANPAKU, World Community Grid and Spinhenge on BOINC instead.

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #358 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SMP client does not work properly
mad.gif
It has botched two different work units and wasted many hours of time. The most recent one completed to 100% but it complained of going past some loop and won't send the work unit. Until they figure out how to fix this thing I'm not going to bother with running up my electric bill on faulty software.

Edit: And my hardware is fine. I can let it sit for days encoding video and there are no issues.

That's unfortunate, you can still run 2 console clients though, set one as machine 1 and one as machine 2 and put them in different folders and you should be fine. That's what I have running on my server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back