Head-fi chat room?
Dec 8, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Yeh great idea it would be good to have an "official" head-fi chat room... that old chat room was full of perverts and weirdos and has, thankfully, disappeared from the Head-Fi search engine ..... best avoided.

perverts and weirdos?
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

awwww, is someone's pride bruised? Could we kiss it and make it betew?

Dec 8, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #17 of 23
Ok, just thinking out loud here...

Now I understand that if you want to create a chat room for head-fi, that you'd want to stay friendly with the site, and that means asking Jude for permission to use the head-fi name. I fully understand the ettiquette of that.

However, legally, what could be done if you just created a #Head-fi? IRC is the wild west. Is head-fi going to complain to Efnet? Would Efnet do anything? An educated guess is I doubt it. As for legal action, they'd have to prove who the person was that started the channel, and even though there would be a PM conversation, I can't help but think it wouldn't stand up in court, and that's assuming the person in question was in the US. And is Head-fi copyrighted? I'd assume so, since there's all that stuff for sale with the head-fi logo on it.. but what could be done if someone started an IRC channel #head-fi or a Usenet group alt.audio.head-fi or something.

It would be mightily annoying, but nothing could be done about it.

The downside is that I'm guessing you'd find yourself extremely banned from Head-fi, which defeats the purpose of a head-fi friendly meeting place.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just know some people were extremely angry about the whole #head-fi issue, and even though they're largely not here anymore, and proclaim to hate the place, they still haven't gone and done it. Why? Loyalty to Head-fi of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #18 of 23
Let's stay clear of legal issues first of all and just discuss what has happened in the past...it has in the past been titled #head-fi and in the past issues that arose there were then brought up on the boards here, complaining, whining and requests for action to be taken against the opposing member(s) by Jude or other mods.

A courtesy is certainly something respectable and beyond the similarities between the irc/website/message board medium, the fact that members who want to chat about headphones do ask Jude and then kindly avoid using the name as to avoid undue moderating that inevitably results (trickle effect) is something I hope continues.

As for Efnet et al., cooperation + the use of pm's...quite easily documented retrieved verified and usable in any US court, yes, this is a very facile task. The problem would be international, and soon that will not be an issue.

Dec 9, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #19 of 23
Oh I'm just thinking of the ethics versus legality of this kind of thing. Ethically, it's not exactly a good thing to do, if you want to stay friendly to a site, and then use that sites name to create a channel, when the site stated they didn't want it. No question there, you're not exactly being too friendly to the site.

But if there's no PMs or communications of any kind. Anyone anywhere could create a channel, so it's something that the site has to stay on top of. IRC and Usenet are still the Wild West.
smily_headphones1.gif
I understand that it's far easier to take someone to court if you're both in the US, or both in the EU, but I don't understand the last bit of what you said, how will it soon no longer be a problem? Would Efnet actually listen to complaints? From what little I know of IRC, they wouldn't care one bit, but maybe things have gotten better?

The reason I brought this up was at first because I was just curious, thinking out loud. But now this a good reply from Zanth, so I feel I want to expand on the issue. Because after all, if there are very real and legal conssequences to going against head-fi, then it should be talked about here as a warning to those who would try.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Let's stay clear of legal issues first of all and just discuss what has happened in the past...it has in the past been titled #head-fi and in the past issues that arose there were then brought up on the boards here, complaining, whining and requests for action to be taken against the opposing member(s) by Jude or other mods.

A courtesy is certainly something respectable and beyond the similarities between the irc/website/message board medium, the fact that members who want to chat about headphones do ask Jude and then kindly avoid using the name as to avoid undue moderating that inevitably results (trickle effect) is something I hope continues.

As for Efnet et al., cooperation + the use of pm's...quite easily documented retrieved verified and usable in any US court, yes, this is a very facile task. The problem would be international, and soon that will not be an issue.

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #21 of 23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back