Head-fi Austin - January 23 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #91 of 166
I will drive up from Dallas Saturday morning to attend. Excited to hear some new gear. I can bring a Naim DAC-V1 (without the recent firmware update), BHA-1, and Peachtree Dac iTx if people are interested. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #92 of 166

Yeah, this is good advice. Open-mind especially. My first meet I was super disappointed in the LCD-2, which I had originally planned to buy, and was enamored with the HE-500 and HD800, both of which I expected to be "not my taste." I loved the HE-500 so much I bought a pair the next day.

Wow I was the same way on my first meet, I was super disappointed with the LCD 2. Later in my second meet I got to try the HD 800 on a Questyle CMA 800i and I was blown away! I was not expecting to be wowed so much by a headphone I kept hearing was "boring" and "clinical" in presentation, but an open mind allowed me to have a new favorite. I'm still waiting to buy that setup someday...

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #93 of 166
Anxious to attend tomorrow. I am not going to setup a table, however I will bring along a few cans that some might want to hear. I am bringing my Denon d2000 with wood cups and alpha Pads, Grado symphones magnum v3, and a pair of vintage Sennheiser HD414's that I just picked up today. I will be toting around a old blue Dallas Cowboys bag, See everyone there.

James

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #94 of 166
I'll try to write up a meet attendance guide tonight for newbies.

Pulled this from an old meet thread:

Maxvla said:
Rules:

1. Respect everyone, and everyone's gear. Treat their gear better than your own, as if you were handling the only one of it's kind left in the world. If you have any uncertainty as to how to do something you wish to do, ASK THE OWNER! The tables are marked, and everyone will be wearing a name tag. There is no excuse not to ask. Don't take the risk!

2. Special note about turntables - Unless you own the particular turntable, you are not allowed to touch it, even if you have a turntable at your table or are a 'pro' at turntables. Any adjustment or disc changing will be done by the owner. Look at the table ID card and find them in the room if you wish to change the disc or start it playing. Turntables are extremely delicate finicky machines, do not risk damaging them by not following this rule. If you notice a turntable that has finished it's side and is spinning with the needle in the center of the disc, please alert the owner so they can start it over or change discs. Turntable owners, sorry but you will be somewhat tied to your table because of this. Please be attentive and helpful!

3. Health and Hygiene - Thoroughly wash your hair the morning of the meet and do not load up your hair with hair sprays and gels, etc. Scrub around your ears (anywhere a pad would touch) to get rid of any loose skin and make sure your ears are as free of wax as possible. If you are feeling sick that morning, please stay home and take care of yourself. We'd rather not catch what you have, and you will feel better resting at home. If for some reason your hair is damp when you arrive, DO NOT listen to electrostatic headphones until it has dried completely.

Tips:

1. Listen to everything. Even if you don't like how it looks, or you've 'heard' it's no good. Even if it indeed is 'no good', it will serve as a reference for you in the future.

2. Take notes! Shocking how few people take notes at meets. Audio memory is one of a human's worst skills. Bring a notepad and pen and jot down some thoughts so you can remember it later.

3. Bring a sampler CD you've burned with your favorite songs you've listened to a thousand times. Don't cherry pick songs for certain attributes (snap of the snare drum on such and such track, etc) if you are attending your first meet. Simply knowing the track is enough for a first-timer. There will undoubtedly be many laptop based rigs so it might be a good idea to bring a flash drive with your songs as well, but be sure to ask for the owner's assistance in getting them loaded, and then restored to the original screen after you are done listening.

4. Plan to stay the whole meet. If you've listened to every rig and there's still time left, look through your notes to find the ones you liked the best and hit it again. This only happens once a year. Make the most of it.

5. Talk to people! Besides gear, this is a social event. Get to know head-fiers and the vendors (they don't bite!.. except your wallet). You guys are so lucky to have a community there in Austin that allows easy access to Head-fi members so you can have your own mini-meets at each other's houses. This is what it's all about. People helping people get to where they want to be with their rigs, and enjoying the process of getting there and finding friends along the way.

6. If there is a piece of gear you really, really like.. ask the owner if it is for sale. You might find a bargain, and the owner may be secretly wanting to upgrade and just needs to move the old gear first. The only reliable means of transactions at a meet is something like PayPal as you are unlikely to be carrying a ton of cash on you and checks can be risky.

Jan 22, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #95 of 166
Super excited. I'll also be bringing my Audio-GD NFB2 and C2 class A headphone amp.

I have two friends who are into audio but not head-fiers, who will be attending as well, if that's cool. Both are respectful and friendly people, and only one will be bringing gear

Jan 22, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #96 of 166
@MonumentSquare , I have about 10 boxes to bring in. What would be the best way to bring it in and how?

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #97 of 166
Should be clear to come tomorrow. I just signed up with the link on the front page. I'm not sure I need even half a table since I'm just planning on having the HE-500 and ALO CDM out for use, and most likely carrying my Ethers and Mojo around for comparisons. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #98 of 166
If you signed up after Wednesday you will have to make your own name tag and table tag. I'll have extra blanks and sharpies.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #103 of 166
Not that I expect it to matter much from past meets, but I probably won't be there until between 10-11 due to kids sports stuff in the morning.  Just hold my table spot (I won't be bringing the turntable or sacd deck since I can't fit it into one box), I only need 3-4 feet of space.  

Oh and for @MonumentSquare thanks for convincing your company to let us have it in their space.  If you can get a guest wi-fi password ready for everyone I'm sure that'd be helpful too.  I know I stream basically everything these days for headphone use.  :)

Jan 23, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #104 of 166
@MonumentSquare, Is there a Guest WiFi network setup? Just asking as the source I bring in will depend on that. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back