Head-fi Austin - January 18 2014
Jan 5, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #106 of 180

It is, but if I remember right, it wasn't the quickest thing around last year. Multiple streams really bogged it down at times.

Ah, thanks, I appreciate it. I've got maybe 2% of my library in FLAC, and the rest I get from Google Play.

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #107 of 180
I will see if I can make it to this. I would be able to finally hear some nice amps with my HE-500s. I've always thought the Cavalli's would be awesome but couldn't commit the money without hearing them first.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #108 of 180
Haven't heard back from Woo about getting a WA7, so might not have that, but I am also getting a Violectric V200 to show in addition to the V181 and V800.

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #109 of 180
Haven't heard back from Woo about getting a WA7, so might not have that, but I am also getting a Violectric V200 to show in addition to the V181 and V800.

Really interested in these! How do you like the v200? If I went SS it was between it and building a ß22. How would you say it compares to hybrid amps?

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #110 of 180
I haven't received it yet. I was only informed last night I might have one coming.

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #111 of 180
Patrick of Nice Cans of Austin has managed to procure an AKG K812 for those interested to see AKG's latest top of the line. I know I am.

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #112 of 180
Patrick of Nice Cans of Austin has managed to procure an AKG K812 for those interested to see AKG's latest top of the line. I know I am.

I'm looking forward to hearing them and perhaps determining whether or not they live down to some of their early reviews.  They certainly have a price tag that pits them against some of the best.

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #113 of 180
I may drive down for this. I'd like to audition amps for the LCD-X and see what the meet is like. What's the best way to bring tunes to listen to? Any chance a Bryston BHA-1 will be there?

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #114 of 180
I sold my BHA-1 a few months ago, anticipating imminent GS-X shipment. I don't think one will be there, sorry. For what it's worth, I thought the BHA-1's slightly bright nature would help correct the LCD-2's darkness, but it didn't help so I returned the LCD-2 as I couldn't listen to them anymore. From all reports, the LCD-X is somewhat better, but still dark-ish.

As far as tunes, most people these days have laptops and tablets, so memory stick for ultrabooks, cd or memory stick for laptops, cd for cd players (a few still show up), and there will probably be a few turntables if you have vinyl to spin. You are more or less stuck with what is on a tablet, but most people tend to have similar stuff, so usually you can find something you are familiar with. If you have to listen to something you brought on a tablet based rig, ask the owner and maybe they can get you setup somehow.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #115 of 180
I agree that the LCD-2 has a rolled-off high end that makes the whole thing pretty dark. While the graphs don't adequately explain why, I find the LCD-3's to be free of this problem and very natural sounding. My favorite cans are still the Beyer T1, but the lower distortion and beguiling tonal quality of the LCD-3 keep me constantly switching back and forth. I encourage Maxvla to consider the LCD-3. Also, a good idea to listen to the new LCD-XC at the meet, since the graph for those does show a high-end rise.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #116 of 180
I have heard the LCD-3, and while they are slightly better than the LCD-2 in tonality, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and for double the price, no thanks, IMO.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #117 of 180
John and Nick of JDS Labs will be present to show their collection of Objective, CMOY, and C5 portable headphone amps and DACs and DIY kits.

This meet is getting huge, you can't miss it!

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #118 of 180
I am looking forward to heading to Austin for my first meet. I read through the thread, but just to be sure, are LCD-X or Mjolnir / Gungnir on the gear list? I'm wondering if I should bring mine. Also looking to (hopefully) sell my LCD 2.2.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #119 of 180
Yes they will all be there, but I always recommend people bring their stuff for a few reasons. 1) For a frame of reference once you've heard something you like, go back to your rig and see how it compares in the same environment. 2) Not everyone who signs up actually shows up, so there is a chance it might not be there. 3) The gear you want to hear may be spread across different combinations from different people and not easily heard together. 4) An extra is always a good thing if someone's hogging the original copy.

Everyone respects each others stuff, so don't worry about damage. In the years I've been going to Texas meets there's never been anything stolen or broken. A few lost CDs (that I posted in the impressions thread but were never claimed), but that's about it.

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #120 of 180
Janet and Paula of RK Audiology will be present again this year with the Westone line of customs and universal in ear monitors. They also have hearing protection products and you can talk with them about audiology services they offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back