Head-fi Austin 2013 Impressions
Mar 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #77 of 208
Im a novice to all this and this was also my first meet. It was an awesome feeling to see/listen to all the headphones i had only read about online. Kinda felt like seeing celebrities.. especially the LCD2/3 and HD800s. Those things made me drool. I also was very happy that i got to check out the Fiio E17 because i have been debating if it would be an upgrade to my current E7. I found out it was a big upgrade especially in the bass department. Im definatley getting it, if anyone has one for sale in Austin or knows about any good deals pm me. I also got a chance to hear Grados! I have never heard them before and i enjoyed the sound, however i like my bass too much to buy them lol Finally i have been deciding what my next headphone will be (currently own M-Audio Q40 cans and UE-Triple Fi 10 IEMs) and i decided i want the HE400. I like the price and the sound signature was exactly what i expected. After hearing a few other headphones in the same price range i decided the HE400 was the way to go.

Id like to give thanks to everyone for letting me test out their headphones and equipment.

-Adam 

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #78 of 208
Would it be a good idea or is it too much trouble to have a card at each listening station listing the equipment on display?  When something has been borrowed at the meet, at least you would know what was supposed to be there.  This would also help if the owner is somewhare else in the room.  There could also be a blank space on the card for last minute additions.  Not all of us are familiar with everything and this could be helpful.  Opinions?

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #79 of 208
I made one for my own table for those reasons and just for general information for those not familiar with my gear.

900x900px-LL-a1bcaae9_AusMeet4.jpeg

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #80 of 208
I appreciated that.  It's also a good place to list gear for sale, like you did.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #81 of 208
It's a good idea for next time. I'd have had no room for on at my table though. :D

Quote:
Would it be a good idea or is it too much trouble to have a card at each listening station listing the equipment on display?  When something has been borrowed at the meet, at least you would know what was supposed to be there.  This would also help if the owner is somewhare else in the room.  There could also be a blank space on the card for last minute additions.  Not all of us are familiar with everything and this could be helpful.  Opinions?

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #82 of 208
Some of my notes:

My favorite, far and away was the LL2 + 009. Rich, involving, transparent, and simply beautiful. The only thing there that truly made me melt. And that was with the super resolving PWD. I didn't get a chance to hear the Ayon with it. I heard it was even better. I think Alex just nailed it with the LL2. But maybe I'm a bit bias 
tongue.gif

The HE-6, and even more so, the LCD3 on the Liquid Glass was exceptional. I also liked the BHSE + 007. Also the PWD + LCD2.2 + WA6SE was quite a treat!!

I was quite impressed with Travis' Vinyl + Leben + HD800. That, is an incredibly synergistic combo. Tons of detail, but still warm, and voluminous bass. While I prefer the TH900 on the LF, to the HD800 on the LF, the TH900 did not synergize well with the Leben. 

For my preferences, I still love my LF + TH900. Next for me is the LL2 + 009. Then I will have all my bases covered, and my foray into vinyl will begin. I already own a couple decks from back in the day. 

Many thanks to Cable Pro for intelligent discourse and a great deal on a great cable. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #83 of 208
HA! Gotcha.

Also, you'd better be ready if you get into vinyl. Get everything else in line first and then prepare to dedicate all 'free' funds to either your collection or improvements. 

Glad you enjoyed the HD800 + Leben. It was pretty friggin' fantastic to my ears. Definitely gonna go for it after a few more vinyl upgrades.

Quote:
Some of my notes:

My favorite, far and away was the LL2 + 009. Rich, involving, transparent, and simply beautiful. The only thing there that truly made me melt. And that was with the super resolving PWD. I didn't get a chance to hear the Ayon with it. I heard it was even better. I think Alex just nailed it with the LL2. But maybe I'm a bit bias 
tongue.gif

The HE-6, and even more so, the LCD3 on the Liquid Glass was exceptional. I also liked the BHSE + 007. Also the PWD + LCD2.2 + WA6SE was quite a treat!!

I was quite impressed with Travis' Vinyl + Leben + HD800. That, is an incredibly synergistic combo. Tons of detail, but still warm, and voluminous bass. While I prefer the TH900 on the LF, to the HD800 on the LF, the TH900 did not synergize well with the Leben. 

For my preferences, I still love my LF + TH900. Next for me is the LL2 + 009. Then I will have all my bases covered, and my foray into vinyl will begin. I already own a couple decks from back in the day. 

Many thanks to Cable Pro for intelligent discourse and a great deal on a great cable. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #84 of 208
Sounds like y'all had a fantastic meet.
tongue.gif
 Super envious I wasn't able to make it!

Sorry to all the members who were looking forward to the Paradox and didn't get a crack at it. I ended up really enjoying them and wrote up my renewed impressions here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633956/the-t50rp-paradox-reviews-discussion-mini-tour-impressions/360#post_9226254

I've had a few Dallas people reach out to me. I actually still have the Paradox in my possession right now, so if you want to come over for a listen feel free to PM me and we'll see if we can work something out.

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #86 of 208
Quote:

I had thought about an approach like that--laying out each headphone in a designated and marked location.  However, I did not have enough space to make it work with the 8 headphones and other equipment I brought.

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #87 of 208
So you dumped 'em in a big pile instead. :D

Quote:
I had thought about an approach like that--laying out each headphone in a designated and marked location.  However, I did not have enough space to make it work with the 8 headphones and other equipment I brought.

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #88 of 208
Quote:
So you dumped 'em in a big pile instead. :D

Quote:

Noooo....I spaced & laid each of them out on towels.  The headphone meet elves did the piling.

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #89 of 208
Having a bigger room could mean everyone would have more space for multiples of everything including signage.

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #90 of 208
Pffft.... if everyone doesn't know my rig by now...   :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back