Head-Fi / Audiophile Clichés
Oct 1, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #61 of 81
^ I don't think that is true in any way. When people say things like that, what they mean to imply is that the difference is so big that someone with untrained ears could hear it. It takes a while for ears to hear subtle differences in equipment, so "my wife could even hear it" is the equivalent of saying "the difference pops out at you" but with the added bonus of having another witness.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #62 of 81
Night and day. Non audiophile-wise, my sig.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #63 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I don't think that is true in any way. When people say things like that, what they mean to imply is that the difference is so big that someone with untrained ears could hear it. It takes a while for ears to hear subtle differences in equipment, so "my wife could even hear it" is the equivalent of saying "the difference pops out at you" but with the added bonus of having another witness.

then why not just say "the difference was readily apparent to the untrained ear"?

people who say that are basically saying, "even my wife who is a complete n00b is able to hear the difference, which means you (the reader) must be legally deaf if you can't hear a difference."

again, I find this phrase most often used when reviewing tweaks which may not even make a difference at all, let alone a large one

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #64 of 81
And the almighty..... the amps sound is like "wire with gain"....oh my!

That's a theoretical ideal and if it has one more part than copper...it ain't a wire with gain....two to many parts! Every component has a sound...just some are less damaging...or more pleasing!

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #65 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Let's face it: most people here do not have trained ears. Any person can claim that their spouse (real or imaginary) can hear the difference, but that claim is as valid as any other. Most of the time it is grasping for justification of purchase.

If it makes one happy, great, but one has to take most said here with a grain (more like a bag) of salt.

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #67 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Electrostatics have no bass..."

Yeah, right!
tongue.gif

They Don't!
o2smile.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #68 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then why not just say "the difference was readily apparent to the untrained ear"?

Maybe we should change the cliche to: "Even my dumb cousin could hear the difference!"

Much less offensive that way!
wink_face.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #69 of 81
"But you'll always be wondering what it would have sounded like if you had spent $X more...".

That may be true, but I'd also be wondering what a Grado would sound like if I had gotten a Sennheiser. Or what a Denon sounded like if I had gotten a Grado and a Sennheiser...

also, "I see no way $X is ever justified for component Y".
rolleyes.gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #71 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Bose Sucks"

A universal truth.
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #72 of 81
I just stumbled onto this thread and am still laughing !
Here are my cliff notes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate when people talk about how tubes are "warm". Folks, tubes do not sound "warm". They look warm, and they're physically hot to the touch, but don't let that confuse you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by btf1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"It's the most analog sounding CD player I've ever had." If you like analog sound so much, why don't you get a turntable already and stop fooling yourself? It's like eating a tofu burger and saying "It's the most meat tasting burger I've ever had."

Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"MUDDY" ...I want to "muddy" the trail with droppings when I hear it!!

Quote:

I cant believe this one hasnt been mentioned yet:

"Even my wife could hear a difference!"

besides the fact that this statement is almost always made exclusively in regard to changes in power cables, interconnects, and shakti stones, I find the use of this cliche nearly vulgar, and quite rude to the reviewers' spouses - it directly implies that their wife is somehow beneath them

This one scares me:
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's face it: Any person can claim that their spouse (real or imaginary)....

But this is the best:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe we should change the cliche to: "Even my dumb cousin could hear the difference!"

Much less offensive that way!
wink_face.gif

But please pay no attention to me, because when I read "best bang for the buck" it sounds like a pimp's recommendation.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #73 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But please pay no attention to me, because when I read "best bang for the buck" it sounds like a pimp's recommendation.

Zing!

How about the one about bass going "deeper". I test all my phones with a frequency sweep and all of them hit 20hz. Saying that they go "deeper" is like my gf asking me to go deeper: I'm not holding anything back honey!
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #74 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just stumbled onto this thread and am still laughing !

This one scares me:
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Let's face it: Any person can claim that their spouse (real or imaginary)....

The part that scares me is that I bet some people talk of a spouse but they are actually single. That is why i had to throw that in there. It is the internet, you know
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zing!

How about the one about bass going "deeper". I test all my phones with a frequency sweep and all of them hit 20hz. Saying that they go "deeper" is like my gf asking me to go deeper: I'm not holding anything back honey!
confused_face(1).gif

I am sticking my fingers in my eyes screaming "LA LA LA LA LA!!!!!!"

[size=xx-large]WTMI[/size]
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #75 of 81
Quote:

again, I find this phrase most often used when reviewing tweaks which may not even make a difference at all, let alone a large one

I agree, which is why I think people want to cite another person hearing the difference. I mean, if TWO people can hear a difference, then it MUST be true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back