Head-Fi / Audiophile Clichés
Sep 27, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #46 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever listened to one of her piano improvisations?

probably not, but do feel free to pm with suggestions of good songs that doent sound like some old 60 a day, lush, cabaret singer slurring out a rendition of what supposedly is a song

Sep 27, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #47 of 81
"It's the most analog sounding CD player I've ever had."

If you like analog sound so much, why don't you get a turntable already and stop fooling yourself? It's like eating a tofu burger and saying "It's the most meat tasting burger I've ever had."

Not really a cliche, but who gets hungry/horny when they read some audiophile mags? They use verbiage like "Thick, lush, warm, chocolaty, sweet mids, full bodied." huh? Is she single?
icon10.gif

The burn in thing has been taken to another dimension. I think a stereophile writer was talking about burning in his Apple TV. *no words*

Sep 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #48 of 81
Quote:

Not really a cliche, but who gets hungry/horny when they read some audiophile mags? They use verbiage like "Thick, lush, warm, chocolaty, sweet mids, full bodied." huh? Is she single?

LOL! Never though about that in this way.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

The burn in thing has been taken to another dimension. I think a stereophile writer was talking about burning in his Apple TV. *no words*

Well, color accuracy does change a bit during the use of monitors. Though biggest difference comes as it warms up, but colors do change over the time too. Thats why color-critical companies recalibrate their monitors constantly. Burning in a TV is dumb though and only shortens the lifespan. If you want it to stay accurate, calibrate it and periodically check if it has stayed in the calibration and recalibrate when necessary.

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #49 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, color accuracy does change a bit during the use of monitors. Though biggest difference comes as it warms up, but colors do change over the time too. Thats why color-critical companies recalibrate their monitors constantly. Burning in a TV is dumb though and only shortens the lifespan. If you want it to stay accurate, calibrate it and periodically check if it has stayed in the calibration and recalibrate when necessary.

He was burning it in not for video, but for audio. I believed he said the toslink/optical connection warmed up over time after a thorough burning in process.

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #50 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anything more cliche and lame then congratulating someone for buying new headphones? As if spending money was some kind of achievement. What if you were congratulated for other goods you purchased:

"Hey dude, I was hungry so I bought a couple big macs."
"Wow man, congrats! I've really enjoyed my big macs in the past. You're going to be upgrading to double big macs with bacon in no time!"
"What is wrong with you, dude?"

hahaha - great observation.

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #51 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by btf1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"It's the most analog sounding CD player I've ever had."

If you like analog sound so much, why don't you get a turntable already and stop fooling yourself? It's like eating a tofu burger and saying "It's the most meat tasting burger I've ever had."

Well you have to consider that CDs and MP3s are easier to use and getting the same, nice sound without hassling with static noise is a good thing. Besides, it's a freaking compliment, not a requirement. If one really wants nothing but analog sound, he would buy the record player rig.

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #52 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by btf1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He was burning it in not for video, but for audio. I believed he said the toslink/optical connection warmed up over time after a thorough burning in process.

...!
eek.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #53 of 81
A few that bother me:

"It puts out xx watts per channel."

-Rated power output alone means nothing.

"It's from the '70s so you know it's good."

-Vintage does not necessarily equal good. A lot of vintage equipment does perform well but it is not a blanket description.

"You should buy xx, I have it and it's amazing."

-Sometimes this is true however, most often I have found that the person writing this usually thinks it's amazing because they own it.

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #54 of 81
"... but it has something that's beyond any measurement. "

Of course: what one feels it's beyond any measurement.

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #55 of 81
Not sure if these qualify as cliches but here goes;

I find it totally absurd when people say “X brand of headphones is the best in the world.” Or “Model X is the best headphones ever.”
Those individuals need to realize that statistical data is needed to prove such a statement.
Just because a pair of headphones may be the best to those individuals does not make it “The Best.” or “The Best in the world.” Instead they need to start off by saying “In my opinion……”

Also recommendations for the best headphones for bass… etc seems trivial to me. How about asking for a pair of headphones that excels in bass…..etc.?

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #56 of 81
"MUDDY" ...I want to "muddy" the trail with droppings when I hear it!!

Descriptive adjectives are needed hear in these pages for them to function at all. The less experienced is going to draw upon the descriptions they have already witnessed in writing, and "squawk" them like a Parrot to make up for their own inability to describe what they might be hearing.

In these pages everyone is a reviewer! May the Force be with us!

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #57 of 81
I think the biggest audio cliche of all time is probably the old "great bang for the buck" or "as good as equipment costing x more" line. Not to say that it can't be helpful to compare things in both price and performance, but as long as there are companies like Bose and Monster Cable charging outrageous prices for substandard gear... it just doesn't mean much to use such generalities. You might as well say, "it's not horribly overpriced the way that some things are!"

P.S. I've used these lines myself, so I'm partially at fault.
redface.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #58 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigma3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if these qualify as clichés but here goes;

I find it totally absurd when people say “X brand of headphones is the best in the world.” Or “Model X is the best headphones ever.”
Those individuals need to realize that statistical data is needed to prove such a statement.
Just because a pair of headphones may be the best to those individuals does not make it “The Best.” or “The Best in the world.” Instead they need to start off by saying “In my opinion……”

Also recommendations for the best headphones for bass… etc seems trivial to me. How about asking for a pair of headphones that excels in bass…..etc.?

Well Enigma3, you can't quantify an emotive experience like listening to Music! But we all have to retreat from making blanket statements and try to be factual and stay within the content and text. Time is the big consideration! The first exposure to a component change or up-grade can be and eye-opener but it has to be tempered by allowing enough time to pass, and the emotion to ebb, to make a worth-while description of the components value or use.

Your experience is not going to mirror mine....ever. EVERYTHING YOU READ...TAKE WITH A HUGE SALT-LICK!

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #59 of 81
The one I always get a chuckle about how some amps/cables etc, etc are totally transparent. If it truly is transparent then, by definition, you can't tell it is there. "wow...listen to that improved transparency!"

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #60 of 81
I cant believe this one hasnt been mentioned yet:

"Even my wife could hear a difference!"

besides the fact that this statement is almost always made exclusively in regard to changes in power cables, interconnects, and shakti stones, I find the use of this cliche nearly vulgar, and quite rude to the reviewers' spouses - it directly implies that their wife is somehow beneath them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back