Head-fi Amp Popularity Chart
Jul 26, 2003 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Rizumu

Thinks I like him.
ampchart.jpg

tongue.gif
That's a lot of METAs...

The estimated total cost of all these amps is just under 1.1 million dollars.

There's a minimum of ten units for an amp to be listed on the chart.

This graph was made by antness, not me.

Jul 26, 2003 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 18
Wow, I didn't know the MG head was that popular. How did you make this chart?

Jul 26, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 18
Very Impressive and informative, how d' hell did you put that information together??? Can you do a most popular discmen chart as well? How about a most popular headphones? This could be the beginning of a whole new section of analytical tools...cool...

Jul 26, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 18
You didn't go through everyone's profile did you? That would be obsessive dedication worthy of a head-fi member.

Jul 26, 2003 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 18
Going to great lengths to earn a custom title are we?
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2003 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 18
I'm not surprised that the MG Head, Cmoy, and Meta42 fill the top three spots. But I would never have guessed that there are more than 500 Meta42's!

What also surprises me are the amps that didn't make the list at all. While I didn't expect Stax to have a great many followers I would have thought that at least 10 head-fier's owned one. I am also surprised that the Supermini isn't on the list.

Jul 27, 2003 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 18
I had a little trouble believing that the Headroom cosmic is owned by more folks than the Airhead. Seems weird for the moe expensive item to be in greater numbers, but this probably an unusual population.

Jul 27, 2003 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 18
There are more Porta Corda users than Airhead users? I would think just the opposite? How did you come up with your results?

Jul 27, 2003 at 1:25 AM Post #12 of 18
Okay, a little clarification. The picture is on headamp.com if anyone's noticed because it was antness who created it. Not me, so don't go thinking I actually did something useful. That would tarnish my wonderful reputation
smily_headphones1.gif
Sorry for not mentioning this before. I'm not sure how antness made it I'll need to ask him.

Jul 27, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #13 of 18
It would be neat to break down the DIY amp bars and have differenet colors for each DIY'r (amp builder). Hmm..., who would be the top three for the META42s I wonder.

Jul 27, 2003 at 3:52 AM Post #14 of 18
UPDATE

Super-mini: 174

There are without a doubt more Airheads sold than Porta Cordas, but apparently more people own Porta Cordas on Head-Fi.

According to antness, the information is taken from a search of Head-Fi user profiles and then is multiplied by what his research found to be the percentage of Head-Fi members that list their amp in their profiles. There is probably a small margin of error in that expensive amps are more likely to be listed in a profile than inexpensive amps, due to bragging rights and the fact that established members are more likely to purchase the more expensive items. DIY amps such as the META42 and Cmoy may also be more likely to be listed because of builder pride.

Jul 27, 2003 at 6:14 AM Post #15 of 18
Wow, nice job antness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back