Head-Fi 2010 Christmas Gift Exchange Whadjaget? Thread
Dec 23, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #31 of 58
I paired up with AmanGeorge and I just received my album, just in time for christmas.
He got me the album "Worrisome Heart" from Melody Gardot.

I never heard of her before, but I have to admit I like the album. Excellent gift! Thanks!

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #32 of 58
Quote:
I paired up with AmanGeorge and I just received my album, just in time for christmas.

I never heard of her before, but I have to admit I like the album. Excellent gift! Thanks!

I love Melody Gardot!  I had never heard anything but the title track to the album that you received in the gift exchange on the "Watercolors" light jazz station of Sirius/XM satellite radio (only broadcast via satellite in the U.S., but also available on the Internet, although ony at 128kbps), until I got the whole album.  Then I had to go out and get her other two albums "Some Lessons" and "My One and Only Thrill" as soon as I could.  I don't understand a word of French (well, just a few), but when she sings "au francais," I get gooseflesh, and other bodily reactions.  Go to Amazon and preview some of the tracks from those other two albums if you like "Worrisome Heart."  Being Belgian, you might understand some of her songs that consist solely of French lyrics (fairly obvious from their titles).

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #33 of 58
I was paired with ajm who sent me Norah Jones' first album. Lovely choice. I'm a little worried, though about what I sent him, since Spring Heel Jack is in a different universe.

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #34 of 58

Quote:
Quote:

I love Melody Gardot!  I had never heard anything but the title track to the album that you received in the gift exchange on the "Watercolors" light jazz station of Sirius/XM satellite radio (only broadcast via satellite in the U.S., but also available on the Internet, although ony at 128kbps), until I got the whole album.  Then I had to go out and get her other two albums "Some Lessons" and "My One and Only Thrill" as soon as I could.  I don't understand a word of French (well, just a few), but when she sings "au francais," I get gooseflesh, and other bodily reactions.  Go to Amazon and preview some of the tracks from those other two albums if you like "Worrisome Heart."  Being Belgian, you might understand some of her songs that consist solely of French lyrics (fairly obvious from their titles).

I think I'm going to the shop tomorrow actually. And the French is no problem, it's my second language :)

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #35 of 58
I just got the album Worrisome Heart a couple of days ago, amazing album, and I'm still in the process of listening through it for my first time. Amazing voice, and well recorded, and I heard she does even better in live performances
wink.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #36 of 58
My exchange partner is Radiatedant.....couldn't wait till morning and was rewarded with a copy of Pink Floyd's "the final cut" I am a Pink Floyd fan and don't have this....thanks man!!!!! Hope you like my choice.

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #37 of 58
I just opened BOTH my gifts from J W.. and was amply rewarded for my patience with a copy of Daft Punk's Human After All.. AND Daft Punk's TRON:LEGACY Soundtrack...Hats off to you J W!

I hope you got the second part of my gift to you.. if not its in the mail I assure you :)

I'm off to rip these beauties to my Squeezebox.

THANK YOU!

Merry Christmas!

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #38 of 58

Quote:
I just opened BOTH my gifts from J W.. and was amply rewarded for my patience with a copy of Daft Punk's Human After All.. AND Daft Punk's TRON:LEGACY Soundtrack...Hats off to you J W!

I hope you got the second part of my gift to you.. if not its in the mail I assure you :)

I'm off to rip these beauties to my Squeezebox.

THANK YOU!

Merry Christmas!

Let us know what you think of the Tron Legacy soundtrack. Oh and Merry Christmas!

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #39 of 58
Sorry about not posting earlier. I did receive it. This is My Truth Tell Me Yours by Manic Street Preachers. Tremendous! I had never heard of them until now. I've already given it several spins.  Thank you very much, Craiglester! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #40 of 58
Tron Legcay is awesome.. Very mellow in places, banging in others.. Love it.. Thank you J W.. Theres plenty more Manic Street Preachers stuff out there too.. give them a listen.  Now i'm off to rip my CCR box set .. woo

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #41 of 58
My partner this year was racer_x124. I feel we ended up being a great pair, as we must have messaged each other about 20 times throughout the process. In the end, we decided to exchange three CDs. I also found it interesting that we each gave each other a CD from artists in our own neighborhood. I am very happy with the CDs I got.

The CDs I got were:
Dessa - A Badly Broken Code
Yelle - Pop Up
(Various Artists) - The Music of Glasgow, MT

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #42 of 58

Quote:
My partner this year was racer_x124. I feel we ended up being a great pair, as we must have messaged each other about 20 times throughout the process. In the end, we decided to exchange three CDs. I also found it interesting that we each gave each other a CD from artists in our own neighborhood. I am very happy with the CDs I got.

The CDs I got were:
Dessa - A Badly Broken Code
Yelle - Pop Up
(Various Artists) - The Music of Glasgow, MT

This is what Van sent me

The Apprentice -The Red Balloon
Emiliana Torrini - Love In The Time Of Science
Au Revoir Simone - Still Night, Still Light

So far I've listened to a few tracks on each, been too busy with family to give them a good sit down. So far I am very impressed!

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #43 of 58
My partner violineb has been quiet ever since he last sent me a PM more than 3 weeks ago when he told me that he's sending me his gift already. Sent him his gift already and PM him several times but still have to get a confirmation from him. I'm more or less sure he already got his gift by now. I  really don't mind waiting even until January next year for my gift to arrive but he should at least update me ...patiently waiting

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #44 of 58

Quote:
I was paired up with Midoo1990 and got Loreena McKennitt's An Ancient Muse.

It's an interesting choice, given that she works out of Canada and I've never listened to her music before.  At any rate, she is a remarkable singer and it's a really nicely recorded album.

Thanks Midoo!

Just received my CD from Joel. new kind of music to me

just took a quick listen to it and its very good. nicely recorded and most importantly i discovered something new i hadnt listen to before!!

thanks Joel for the CD! i am all in for next year!!

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #45 of 58
My package came in the other day all the way from Australia!  
I got a CD from one of Australia's most iconic pop bands Powderfinger.  It was a best of CD and I am really enjoying it!
This Christmas Gift swap was a wonderful way for me to meet somebody on the other side of the world that I would have never gotten to know otherwise!  I am so glad that I participated!!
Thanks rysiek!  And thanks to Uncle Erik and tjohnusa for setting it up!!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back