Head-Fi’ers from the Cleveland area?
Nov 23, 2004 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JohnFerrier

1000+ Head-Fier
I’m interested in learning about the sonic characteristics of the Cleveland’s Masonic Auditorium. What are the acoustics like?

I’m a fan of the work of conductor Pierre Boulez who has recorded with Cleveland, Chicago, New York, London, Berlin, etc. I own about ten CDs recorded at the Masonic and find these recordings to be pure magic (IMHO). Interestingly, I find recordings from the 70's have the same magical quality. Wow, if all recordings sounded like ones at the Masonic...

I’ve did a Google search but only find two references that say the sound at the Masonic Auditorium is “rich”. Interestingly, I’ve found a lot more information about Cleveland’s Severance Hall (the home of the Cleveland Symphony). However, most of the Boulez/Cleveland Orchestra recordings occur at the Masonic. Except for a few early recordings, Boulez records Cleveland at the Masonic. (Other conductors still record at Severance Hall.)

Any info regarding Cleveland's Masonic Auditorium?

clevemasonic-000.jpg

photo credit: Wagner Electric Sign Company

JF

Nov 24, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 5
I've e-mailed Deutsche Grammophon (the company that now produces Pierre Boulez's music). Eventually, I expect to learn something about the acoustic properties of the Masonic Auditorium.

Thanks again for any info.

JF

Nov 24, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 5
I live in San Francisco now, but grew up outside Cleveland and never knew the Masonic was used for so many recordings (as oppose to Severance, which is all anyone talks about... or at least did). Please keep us informed!

Thanks much.

Nov 25, 2004 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 5
After doing more listening (and comparing to other recordings), it seems to me that the key quality to the wonderful sound is the reverberation within the auditorium. Recordings capture a reverberation that is slightly warm and very natural. At the same time, though, all instruments voice evenly (nothing is distant).

Today is not Thansgiving in Germany, so this gives DG time to do all sorts of research regarding my questions : ). However, no response yet.

I'll try emailing a resource in the Cleveland area. Maybe someone at the Cleveland Masonic and Performance Arts Center will know where I can obtain information about its sound...

*UPDATE*
I've emailed a couple of organization in the Cleveland area...

Inside picture of the Masonic Auditorium.
aud1-l.jpg

image credit:Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite Valley of Cleveland

JF

Nov 26, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 5
A day-after Thanksgiving bump.

No one from Cleveland out there?

I was emailed the name of the right person at Deutsche Grammophon to forward my questions to. Don't know if I'll share the response by DG (guess it depend upon how public the information looks--certainly, I don't plan to cut and paste). But if no one is interested here (except blessingx), it doesn't matter too much anyway.

Hello, Cleveland.

Know anything about the Masonic Auditorium? It's been around for a long time. Guess it was the original home of the Cleveland Orchestra. Maestro Boulez records exclusively at the Masonic (only a few early recordings occured at Severance Hall). Other conductors record at Severance.

JF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back