Head-direct RE2 VS. Phonak Audeo PFE
Jan 31, 2009 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

praguewatermelon

New Head-Fier
Does anyone have both? Can you compare them? I just got my Phonak Audeo IEMS. I love them. Very comfortable, and the SQ is great. But since I've heard a lot of good things about RE2, I wonder what they sound like. They are on sale for really cheap, so I am wondering if I should get them :)

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 24
RE2. which I own (daughter is using) are very fine, detailed canal phones. To me, they require Comply tips and at least a FiiO amp to sound their best. I love the Phonaks too, and prefer them to the RE2 for a number of reasons, the main one being the amazing detail they deliver. If you move to the RE2s, you won't be happy, even if you save $100.

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 24
lol $150 IEMs vs $50 IEMs, of course the Phonaks are likely to be better.

You should be comparing the Phonaks to the RE0s.

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballz2TheWallz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thats not always the case, (outside of the context of this thread) look at the W3 vs the phonaks, some people prefer the phonaks to the W3 even though the phonaks are a fraction of the price.
Now in the context of this thread, that says something.

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

First off, the RE2's are $100 IEM's. They're just $50 for a few days.

And that logic is quite erroneous. Take Bose for example. The QC3 is $349, while the Denon D2000 is $200. Which is better? You tell me.

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off, the RE2's are $100 IEM's. They're just $50 for a few days.

And that logic is quite erroneous. Take Bose for example. The QC3 is $349, while the Denon D2000 is $200. Which is better? You tell me.

RE2s have been $50 for awhile, also when comparing products both considered to be very good(within there respective price range) it doesn't seem fair to compare products priced so far apart. I don't think the RE2s will go back up in price, and if they do it cant be much because there are $50 options that are already just as good or better.

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

RE2s have been $50 for awhile, also when comparing products both considered to be very good(within there respective price range) it doesn't seem fair to compare products priced so far apart. I don't think the RE2s will go back up in price, and if they do it cant be much because there are $50 options that are already just as good or better.

can you list some $50ish IEMs that are around the same SQ range?

Not trying to be offensive but I dont know any myself and I wanted to know what other options there are

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you list some $50ish IEMs that are around the same SQ range?

Not trying to be offensive but I dont know any myself and I wanted to know what other options there are

NE-7M's are supposed to be better than RE2s and they cost $49.

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

RE2s went on sale for the Chinese New Year, so it has been a relatively short time. They initially were $99, I believe, and then moved to $79 until this latest price drop. I got the Phonaks for $94 (admittedly, a very good deal), so it's not unfair to compare the two phones.

As for the NuForce 7, I owned them and sold them. They are a very good value for $50, but I didn't really need them. Tough call between the NuForce and the RE2. Depends on tastes, since the 7s deliver a much deeper bass, sometimes almost too much (and it can overwhelm the mids). With an amp, I think the RE2s are the better IEM.

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

I see. I'll have to check out the NuForce IEMs. If anyone wants to loan me,
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Saying something is supposed to be better isn't really helpful here. Unless you have heard/own both, doesn't help at all.

I own both, and my view is the RE2s are a more refined phone, if you use an amp, even a cheap FiiO. Without an amp, you can try EQing the RE2. The NuForce is a good value, but not as refined as the RE2, in my opionion as someone who has heard/owned both.

And finally, back to the OP, you will not favor either the RE2 or the NuForce 7 over the PFEs.

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Have you actually tried any of them for yourself?
confused_face(1).gif
Assumption is a dangerous thing around here.

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 24
Thanks for all the info. I am actually planning to get RE2 in addition to the PFEs that I already have. I love the PFEs. They are so comfortable, and the SQ is great. One of the reason why I am drawn to the RE2s is because they are semi-open, which means that the soundstage might be better. I guess I should've made my question more clear and specific when I posted the original question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saying something is supposed to be better isn't really helpful here. Unless you have heard/own both, doesn't help at all.

I own both, and my view is the RE2s are a more refined phone, if you use an amp, even a cheap FiiO. Without an amp, you can try EQing the RE2. The NuForce is a good value, but not as refined as the RE2, in my opionion as someone who has heard/owned both.

And finally, back to the OP, you will not favor either the RE2 or the NuForce 7 over the PFEs.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #15 of 24
Yes. RE2 will certainly not disappoint you, especially at $50. They do have a fair amount of soundstage compared to other IEMs. It's surprising because they do block outside noises quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back