Head-Direct RE0
Oct 11, 2009 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ptv999

New Head-Fier
Okay. So I have decided on the following.
iPod touch 64 GB
Head-direct RE0

So, I have to decide on the amp.
Would driving the RE0 with the Nuforce mobile icon be much different from driving the RE0 with the Fiio E5?

In other words, is the price difference of 75 dollars worth it?

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 13
You may want to spend some time reading through the portable amp section and read through a ton of the reviews if you haven't done so already. Then hop over to the For Sale Amp section and start looking.

I ran the RE0 with the E5. I question the E5's capability to drive the ER0 adequately. I had a feeling and there has been mention that the RE0 requires more power to really bring out the potential. My bro has the Icon, but he didn't have it at the time I had my RE0. They sound very similar, but the Icon does offer more power. I do like my 2Move better though and is more robust yet then the Icon. I say just dig around and see what you can find. I will say the RE0 can benefit from an amp that adds to the bass presence and overall dynamic energy. You'll have to figure out how much you're willing to spend.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why? cant be the price as it only costs like $10 more

Unfortunately, I'm a minor, and thus I do not own a credit card. My mom is very security-paranoid about buying stuff from online stores. And since I told her that it is related to a Chinese distribution and such, she is obviously against me buying iBasso now... I would, but I can't basically.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ptv999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, I'm a minor, and thus I do not own a credit card. My mom is very security-paranoid about buying stuff from online stores. And since I told her that it is related to a Chinese distribution and such, she is obviously against me buying iBasso now... I would, but I can't basically.

How about buying a used one from a fellow member? Paypal obscures all personal financial info pretty well..

Regardless, the RE0 actually work fine without an amp, and require some serious power for a noticeable difference. I did not feel that low-level amps such as the E5, PA2V2, or a CMOY did them justice. The T4 makes a difference only because it is warm and has bass boost, both things that the RE0 benefits from. The Icon Mobile, as far as I know, doesn't do either of those as well as a T4, so I personally wouldn't bother. I think mark (mark2410) owns both an Icon and the RE0s, so you could ask him. For me, the mini3 was the cheapest amp that actually made a difference, but that thing can crank out a good amount of power compared to the ultraportable amps.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 13
There's another member on here with a 2Move amp running his RE0 and says similar. They do seem to require a bit of power to really shine. Something like the E5 shows a little, but it just doesn't do enough. I have a pair of Yuin OK1 buds, another earphone that requires amping to really sound good. It too was noticeably lacking with the E5. It's en entirely different thing running off the 2Move. There is just a great sense of power behind it that simply doesn't exist with a mild amp like the E5.

The Icon is a nice amp by the way. I say just do some research and shop around some. Look for something that specifically complements the RE0, i.e. counters its inherent weaknesses. You will be much happier with the headphone when paired with the correct amp.

Take your time. You shouldn't feel hurried into a purchase.

I do agree that the RE0 can be run just fine without an amp. Just realize the limitation that this creates. If you want a simple starter option, just do the RE0 + E5. It's not perfect, but it's a start and decently affordable. Then simply wait till you can afford a more powerful amp (will be useful with some other headphones too down the line). This'll give you some time to research and become acquainted with the variety of amp products available.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #9 of 13
well they accept paypal. Do you have a paypal account?

If you have a bank account you can create a paypal account (dont need a credit card). Note that with only a bank account paypal transfer of funds will be slower, and of course you need to have the cash in your account.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptv999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #10 of 13
i agrre with what others have said, they are alright unamped but do benefit from it. E5 adds bass that may be wanted but the icon doesnt, it may make the treble shine brighter which as the RE0 is bright anyway may not be what your really after

T4 i suspect would be the better paring

Oct 12, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well they accept paypal. Do you have a paypal account?

If you have a bank account you can create a paypal account (dont need a credit card). Note that with only a bank account paypal transfer of funds will be slower, and of course you need to have the cash in your account.

I have a crappy "kid's" account =.=. I mean it has more than enough money in it since I save, but I don't know if I can make a paypal account with that account.

Oct 12, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do seem to require a bit of power to really shine.

I respectfully disagree. I find they sound quite good without external amplification.

Don't worry about an amp yet. Just listen with your portable player and you'll enjoy them. One of their greatest strengths is sounding great without an amp.

Oct 12, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #13 of 13
I have the RE0 and the Icon Mobile, and they are noticeably better than straight out of the hp jack (they are still good like that, fyi).

ljokerl and I usually have pretty similar tastes, but in this case I have to respectfully disagree. There is a definite liveliness or something (I am god awful at verbalizing what I hear, so bear with me) when used with the icon mobile opposed to without. The e5 adds to the low end, but I do not think it actually does enough to this so called liveliness to be equal.

-Nkk

EDIT: And although I do not suggest being disrespectful to your mother, it may do you well to kindly remind her that there are reputable companies out of China, and perhaps direct here to some vendor feedback threads about iBasso.

EDIT 2: As a disclaimer, I hate bass heavy signatures, even to the point of liking my bass slightly light. Thus, although I may find the icon+RE0 to be fine, you may indeed find it a bit bass light. Therefore, I am going to assume (having not heard it) that the T4 would do the RE0 justice, and even may be better for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back