Head Direct RE0 vs Monster Cable Turbine
Dec 27, 2009 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

h41cyon

New Head-Fier
I've been listening to the RE0's for a little over 15 hours and the clarity, sound stage excites the crap out of me. The one thing that lacks is a more powerful/punchy bass. I'm coming from some CX300 which had more than enough, but it was all muddy/washed out and way over the top.

The bass on the RE0's is sharp and exact, there's just not enough of it unless I'm using a super bass heavy amp/EQ setting.

I've heard the Turbine can get low and deep, but does it completely sacrifice all of the upper freq range to do so?

I can get the Turbine's for about $10 more than I currently got the RE0's for. So, I can return the RE0's and get the Turbines for the same-ish price.

So, question is:

at an equal price point, and for a bass enjoying individual, stick with my RE0's and get a bassy amp, or screw the RE0's and get some Turbines?

Dec 27, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 14
Well, it has bass boost. I think amplification also brings out the bass in the RE0 a bit, since it's got quite high impedance.

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 14
The Monster Turbine's strength is its treble/mids, in my opinion. It has good clarity and balance with excellent extension. It is no match for the RE0, however. The Turbines do have deep, plentiful bass, but it is so bloated, it will feel like the bass notes are balloons slapping your eardrums. I would take RE0's bass any day, despite its shortcomings. They will sound a bit better with a warm and bassy amp, at least the Fiio E5 or something.

Dec 27, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a FiiO E5.

99.99% of the time, I will be at a desk listening to these. Any larger A/C powered bassy amp that would make the lower end of the RE0 shine?

Dec 27, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 14
Since you already have the RE0, it would be easier to try to get them to work, then return them and buy the Turbines. Tho I have no complaints about the sound of the Bass coming from my Turbines. When im at home I listen to Triple Fi. 10, and when im at work at break-time I listen to my Turbines. The Turbines excell in the clean reproduction of bass 1st and then treble 2nd, and then last the mids. The bass on the Turbines hold up well when I up the EQ and no low-end distortion is present.

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by h41cyon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
99.99% of the time, I will be at a desk listening to these. Any larger A/C powered bassy amp that would make the lower end of the RE0 shine?

I'm sure there are, I just recommended the E5 so as to keep the price difference between the MTB and "fixed" RE0s to a minimum.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #11 of 14
I have the opportunity to get both for a good price. The MTB for about 90euros and the RE0's for about 70.
Music I listen varies from rock, to singer-songwriters, and worldmusic (cuban, african) to IDM (trentemoller), so what I need is an allround-performer. :) I own a Cowon S9, and am about to buy one of these two IEM's, but I don't know which one to buy. I like bass, but I can adjust the sound on my S9 a lot. So which one is the best option? I also consider buildquality.

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modifiedz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Turbines excell in the clean reproduction of bass 1st and then treble 2nd, and then last the mids. The bass on the Turbines hold up well when I up the EQ and no low-end distortion is present.

That is so true. Its 'cleanliness' is just breathtaking and hardly found elsewhere. turbines are great but it is a bit too heavy, tend to fall off if the fit isnt good.

anyway, since you got re0 already, get a fiio should be the wiser option. if you dont like it still, screw it later while keep the fiio. the fiio should do good work with most of the other iems.

Jan 19, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #13 of 14
I ended up returning the RE0's. Reason being, I got this amp:

HiFiMAN EF2A
2009Nov22180203front%20profile%20%5B480%5D.jpg

And the RE0's still did not have enough low end for me. The amp on the other hand makes all of my other headphones sound absolutely incredible.

So now, as I'm waiting for more money to end up in my bank account, I'm tossing and turning over getting either the Monster Turbines or the JVC FX500.

I was thinking of waiting until the JVC FX700 comes out, and hope for a price drop on the FX500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back