Head-Direct RE0 vs Etymotic HF5
Dec 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bcpk

1000+ Head-Fier
OK, I've been thinking between the RE0 and HF5. RE0s are £10 cheaper, but I think I would pay the extra money for the HF5 because of their fantabulous isolation. Also the RE0s have twice the impedance of the HF5s which means they're quite quiet unless you buy an extra amp eg a FiiO E1 (£15).

What really gets me is I have never seen a comparison between the RE0 and HF5s, despite them both ostensibly inhabiting the ~$100 price bracket.

Has anyone tested both of these?

PS : Frequency response of the HF5 and ER-4P seems curiously near-identical.
er4phf5.png

[size=xx-small]This thread is not for my own ends, I am trying to decide between recommending RE0s or HF5s to a friend. I initially suggested RE0s, but after trying my new TF10s and my mum's RE0s I'm rather biased against earphones with middling isolation (post Ety ER6)[/size]

Dec 28, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 14
The RE0 and the HF5 are both great! I choose the HF5s over the RE0 because of their isolation too...
I can give you some more impressions in the next few days!

Edit: To get the most out of the RE0, your friend's music has to be of high quality. Think of the light bass.. everything else sounds great -> only a relatively good amp would beef the sound up.. the e5 doesn't pair well IMO.
The HF5 is less transparent. Extremely natural and all music genres sound good (except hip-hop)

Dec 28, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 14
I have both the ER4P and the RE0 and are driven perfectly from a Clip. I just got the RE0, but prefer it to the ER4P and the Triple.Fi's. The classical piano music I'm listening to sounds so... realistic!

However, isolation on the ER4P is better. What music is your going to listen to? What will be his use?

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 14
I think he will be using it from an iPod touch 2G. AFAIK he's not au fait with bitrates and that, so I would expect 128 kbps AACs to be the main source files.

These are his top played artists on last.fm :

capturplp.png

So I guess alternative rock. I know the S4s probably have a fuller sound for those genres, but I have never felt let down by the freq. response of my ER6s, they just take some getting used to. And obviously the isolation. He mentioned that he would be using them on the bus, so that's an important consideration.

Thanks for the opinions people, please keep 'em coming.

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 14
the RE0 will do well for almost everything except for fort minor songs. Personally, I think the RE0 are still a great value, but the Ety has better isolation and the S4 has better bass...the choices. I personally think, a lot of people will be happy with the S4, both the HF5 and RE0 will take getting used to and many people may feel the bass is lacking.

Dec 29, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeTinux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the ER4P and the RE0 and are driven perfectly from a Clip. I just got the RE0, but prefer it to the ER4P and the Triple.Fi's. The classical piano music I'm listening to sounds so... realistic!

However, isolation on the ER4P is better. What music is your going to listen to? What will be his use?

Man, I just have a hard time wrapping my head around how awesome the RE0s are supposed to be.

I just bought Hf5s from a head-fier, but now I'll always be wondering how they stack up to RE0s with shure foams...

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #7 of 14
Isnt there a rather substantial price difference between the two ???

Dec 29, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #9 of 14
well i listen to the same artists, more of metallica-older albums. i recently picked up HF5's and initially was worried with their ' in the head sound' . after nearly 50hrs burn in, and with complies
wink.gif
the sound stage opened up. i have SA-6 and grado sr 80 to compare to and these etys produce same highs as the grado. the mids are perfect for guitar, piano and the lows adequate for metal i.e its fast and tight ! I am really impressed with the instrument separation and the crispy highs and brings a smile when ever you hear an awesome drum roll/progression
wink.gif

comparing this with the RE-0, i have no clue as i have never listen to it, but i doubt u will get the isolation and the analytical sound of the HF5 on the RE0's without an amp.

Dec 29, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 14
@Karthik - I thought BA drivers did not exhibit burn-in ?

Also I heard the RE0s and by far they were the best highs I have ever heard !
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways I made a mistake. Saw the HF2 price by mistake. A $20 price difference is not much.
frown.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by brendon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways I made a mistake. Saw the HF2 price by mistake. A $20 price difference is not much.
frown.gif

No they aren't supposed to, BUT mental burn-in also affects the sound!

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by brendon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

frown.gif

yes i do know Ba drivers dont need burn in, but i noticed massive changes once my SA-6 were 50hrs old. i just kept them running for the whole time just listening to them in between. out of the box,i was depressed and did not like wat i was listening to, music was muddy and BAD. now when i listen to them, the same songs sound smoother, crispier
wink.gif
. now i donno wether its mental burn in or actual burn in but i guess we need time to appreciate the sound.

on comparision with the HF5, SA6 has a warm sound, i could say the etys sound amazing but compared to the SA6 the mids are missing the body ( sorry cant describe sound
frown.gif
) but the highs are something that makes me pick these up when ever i listen to metal . in the bass department i would say the quantity is adequate , but its directly proportionate to the fit !

well these are my views. as u know i am a novice . one thing i noticed is the etys pair up very well with a MBP as there is colouration of the lows in the headout of MBP !
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$10-$20 in favour of the RE0s.

Ah, well I got them from a head-fier for 75$. I guess I'll get a chance to hear the RE0s next time a friend wants an classical piano IEM recommendation
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back