Head-Direct EF1 or CIaudio VHP-1
Nov 30, 2008 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

willne1

Head-Fier
Whitch one of these do you guys think would be better for my HD580 phones. Or maybe something else would be better in that price range. I know it might depend on if you like tubes or not. But this will be my first amp so I don't know yet. I'll be using it with a B&K Reference 50 preamp.

TIA
William

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 13
I don't know, but if your going to order the EF1 I'd do it today (sunday) because on monday the price go's up 100$

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #3 of 13
I just got the EF1 amp not to long ago to pair with the HD600. Sounds great. The HD600 and Amp were my first pair of High quality phones and amp, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. But the sound was much, much more lively compared to plugging it directly into the headphone port of your computer. I didn't expect to hear the change in sound I did. For the $300 sales price it's selling it, I would say the EF1 is a great deal.

Next up for me is Equinox cables.

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the help guys. I know about the sale that's why I'm asking this today at the last minute... I can also get a VHP-1 for around $200. Anyone else have a recommendation?

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 13
I have compared the VHP2 w/ the VAC1 side by side w/ the EF1. It is a tough call and I went back and forth a few times. For the price of $299 I would get the EF1.

vorlon1 and I did the comparison, I hope he chimes in w/ his opinion. Note that we compared the EF1 w/ the latest version of the Channel Island amp and we had the upgraded PSU. Also w/ the EF1 you can tweak the sound a bit via different tubes.

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 13
I ordered the EF1 myself, they are both great options, but if Mrarryo compared the VHP-2 to the EF1 and had a hard time picking one over the other, im sure it will best the VHP-1. It's also nice to have opamp/tube rolling options. As if you don't care for the sound of the VHP-1 you are stuck with it. However Channel Islands is an American company and they are a class act, i've dealt with them before and Dusty is awsome, out of all the gear I sold in my sig below, I regret selling my VDA-2 the most.

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 13
I also want EF-1 but dont have money before dec 12. Just my luck that it went up in price. buhuu

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #10 of 13
So the recommended 'burn-in' time for the EF1 is around 200 hours? How does the sound start to change after that many hours? From when I first started listening, it seems to have smoothed out a lot. At first, it was somewhat boomy and delivered a very strong sound, but it became a bit more relaxed and 'defined' as time passed.

Dec 1, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 13
I just recently bought an EF1 myself (although I`ve had to send it back for replacement...output had a background hum). I also have a question about the sound.

Using the standard opamp and the cleartop 12au7, do the highs `tame` with burn-in? I`m using MS2i, and it`s a little bit bright at the moment.

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by HippieTom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also want EF-1 but dont have money before dec 12. Just my luck that it went up in price. buhuu

When I go to head-direct site it's still showing $299 on my pc.
smile_phones.gif

However they are currently out of stock.
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back