HE90 - New batch?
Mar 2, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #16 of 38
I asked and just got an email from Jan and he said pretty definitively that there would be no more new HE90s built...
frown.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me
I asked and just got an email from Jan and he said pretty definitively that there would be no more new HE90s built...
frown.gif

Did he offer an explanation?

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #18 of 38
I will say that they are very good and worth the money, belive it or not, but they are not the end all headphone. The comfort is horrible, their lack of focus and definition becomes very annoying and the SR-007 wips them in the bass department. Those things aside they are great and it wouldn't be wise of Sennheiser to start producing them again. They must hold their value and mystery and you achive that by keeping the numbers down.

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #19 of 38
part of me wants to cry. part of me is thinking that maybe they are thinking of developing a new electostat (about time!). then, the legend of the HE90 is rather nice. i know it's years away (probably about a decade), but i do plan on one day getting a killer headphone like that. till now, i'll just worry about the HD650.

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by OK Johansen
Did he offer an explanation?

no explanation...he didn't seem to leave room for any possibility that another batch will be made.

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer
The comfort is horrible...

This is news to me. Sure, the HD650 is more comfortable because it is lighter. But the HE90 is not that much heavier, so I am a littler surprised. Comfort is one of those issues that you really can't tell unless you live with the headphones for months. I thought the Omega IIs were comfortable on audition, but months later I hated the weight, fart, and suction effect.

So can you elaborate?

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

no explanation...he didn't seem to leave room for any possibility that another batch will be made.

That's a shame. Strange thing this. HE90 gone. HE60 gone. K1000 gone. R10 gone. Qualia?? At least there's the Omega II. What I mean by strange is that when you look at how a lot of people rank headphones they've tried, most of the top ranked ones have gone out of production. Do the manufacturers lose money on these headphones?

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #23 of 38
^

These ultra-high end cans disappear because they don't generate enough profit for the manufacturers when compared to the low and mid-range products that can be produced cheaply and in volume.

Mar 2, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
This is news to me. Sure, the HD650 is more comfortable because it is lighter. But the HE90 is not that much heavier, so I am a littler surprised. Comfort is one of those issues that you really can't tell unless you live with the headphones for months. I thought the Omega IIs were comfortable on audition, but months later I hated the weight, fart, and suction effect.

So can you elaborate?

The headband is to thin and doesn't cuision enough and at maximum extension barely fits my head (ok it is quite large
biggrin.gif
). The Omega II's have a much snugger fit and the mylar noise is annoying but I can have them on my head for hours on end.

Mar 3, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #25 of 38
the orpheus can't make money because it doesn't fit on your ipod, it's not advertised as "noise cancelling," it's not durable enought for the subway, it's battery life is non existant, and it's not advertised in magazines.
actually, i think that they are betting that with slight improvements on the HD line they will one day catch the orpheus in an efficient manner-instead of spending thousands of dollars making each one.
Ho, no, it's post 666!
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

That reminded me: i once read that there was suppose to be a $100K+ headphone out there, but i've never heard of it here, did it really exist?

Mar 3, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by OK Johansen
That's a shame. Strange thing this. HE90 gone. HE60 gone. K1000 gone. R10 gone. Qualia?? At least there's the Omega II. What I mean by strange is that when you look at how a lot of people rank headphones they've tried, most of the top ranked ones have gone out of production. Do the manufacturers lose money on these headphones?

Don't forget the PS-1 and HP-1000!

Who knows if they lose money - I doubt it. I would definately want to get in on a group buy for the Big O.

Mar 3, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Don't forget the PS-1 and HP-1000!

Who knows if they lose money - I doubt it. I would definately want to get in on a group buy for the Big O.

Whats sad about the PS1 is IMO it is the best Grado i've heard yet (Haven't heard the HP-1000) and it would probably never even been made if it weren't for the "FreeSystems" thing.

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

frown.gif

I officialy hate Sennheiser now.
mad.gif

Unless they create the HE100's!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #29 of 38
My post above made me remind of this post.
Particularly, the part quoted below:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
And there is going to be a new king on the hill with respect to
electrostatic headphones. Unfortunately i can't say anything about
it at the moment.

Stax Omega III? HE100?
Well, at least we have something to look forward to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoFreire
.........Stax Omega III? HE100?
Well, at least we have something to look forward to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm...maybe I'll hang on to my money a bit longer then
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back