HE60 - Questions on upgrading from HEV70
Dec 18, 2006 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

bdh

500+ Head-Fier
I wasn't sure if this is a headphone question or an amp question, but decided it was really a headphone question.

I recently acquired a HE60 and HEV70. While I haven't listend very long yet, the sound doesn't come close to my L3000\Hornet combo. I've read many posts that the HEV70 sucks. And I'm willing to spring for a Singlepower ES-1, but not if it's an upgrade that just improves the sound rather than dramatically changes the character of the headphones.

In almost every aspect the L3000 is better: The HE60 bass is uncontrolled (I know it's not as prominent and accept that, but it's unacceptably uncontrolled.) The L3000s surpisingly sound clearer and more detailed, which I thought was supposed to be an electrostatic headphone's strength. This could be because the uncontrolled bass extends up into the midrange, as the treble is more extended and detailed on the HE60. The soundstage and imaging are also better on the L3000s. And I don't know if there's anything that touches the L3000's PRAT and musicallity, but was hoping for a little more fun sound from the HE60s.

Frankly, I find the HE60\HEV70 combo to be very average. While I was expecting something like an open sounding R10, I'm suprised that it's not even close.

So my question is, how much of a change\improvement could I expect in going to the ES-1? Do the HE60's become dramatically improved headphones I would love, or are a lot of the limitations mentioned above part of the HE60s themselves and not just the HEV70?

bdh

Dec 19, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 29
The HEV70 is far from a stunning amp. It has a distant, weak sound and minimal bass control. Whether or not you'll enjoy it more than your L3000 (which is also a very good headphone) after improving the amplification is impossible to say with certainty, but the sound will certainly improve a lot with a better amp.

Rather than spring for a ES-1 immediately, why not just pop to a meet or visit the home of someone who has a better ESH amp, and hear for yourself if you like the improvement?

Dec 19, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 29
I live in Utah. I don't think there are many high-end HE-60 compatible amps here I can evaluate.

Dec 19, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live in Utah. I don't think there are many high-end HE-60 compatible amps here I can evaluate.

If you can afford a ES-1 you can afford a plane ticket, no?

Dec 19, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 29
And it doesn't matter whether I like it more than the L3000's or not. I'm not deciding between the two. I just wanted a pair of headphones with great detail and openness to balance between music that works better with that sound as opposed to the L3000's. Not that I'm complaining with classical or vocal on the L3000 - it still sound great with them. I just wanted something different for home listening.

Dec 19, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can afford a ES-1 you can afford a plane ticket, no?

I could, and have thought about it. But I know my wife would not be too happy about it.

Dec 19, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could, and have thought about it. But I know my wife would not be too happy about it.

find a head-fier in a decently intresting place, and send her out to shop for a few hours

Dec 19, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he has other electrostatic amps.

He has an Illusion ESC-1001 transformer box I'd love to hear, but as far as I'm aware he has no direct drive electrostatic amps (excluding the HEV70) nor adapters for the HE60 for them. As always though I'm sure he has his plans.
icon10.gif

Dec 19, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Work in progress. Don't ask me for a while.

It's more fun being surprised anyway.
wink.gif
We'll have to get together sometime so you can try the O2s with your system. It's a bad time of year for me right now though, too many other things on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back