HE400's didn't cut it :( Searching again
Sep 6, 2014 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GreenMachine

Head-Fier
Well after a few weeks of use I returned the HE400's (which also surprisingly had a little piece come loose inside. Didn't effect the sound but still such a bummer). The sound was fantastic, no lie, and I loved every minute of them but something just didn't seem right, almost as if something was hidden or the sound was a bit incomplete. Maybe it is the mids that made them seem incomplete. I can't explain what it was but they seemed to have something missing in the sound that I'm searching for. I played them through many different amps/receivers and didn't really change the sound too much.

Amps:
FiiO E10
Garage1217 Polaris (this is my primary. E10 is a friends)
http://garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_015.htm

DAC:
On-board soundcard- it is absolutely phenomenal from all I can tell! I've used a buddy's DAC with my Polaris and noticed very little to no change compared to just the Polaris running out of my computer.

So now I'm in the market... again :frowning2:

I listen to every type of music but primarily chillstep when I'm relaxing.

That's my primary music. I do tend to listen to plenty of rock, metal, folk music as well (all of which seem to be more melodic than fast paced) and I game quite a lot so the headphones will need to be decent for gaming (primarily rpgs, real time strategy, and some fps).

Budget: nowhere above $350
Type: Over ear, open-back preferably, but I can do closed
Not to worried about bass impact, but I do want there to be some bass extension where one can tell it is there. I have my home and car systems for the rumble!
Would also love to avoid fatiguing highs such as the ones in the 990's and HE400s but I can easily deal with them with some EQ'ing and BW settings on the Polaris.
Seems to me that mids are definitely important to my ears after how laid back and hidden they seemed in the HE400

I have two models in mind but I definitely could use some more options to look at!
HD600
DT880 (iffy because I've heard they have pretty vicious highs)

Any help at all is welcomed!

-Blaine

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 5
http://www.razordogaudio.com/products/hifiman-he-400i-full-size-planar-magnetic-headphone-open-box

HE-400i open box for $395 ( 45 bucks over your budget, but i think it'll worth it ). $100 less compare to amazon price.

Because i don't have a 400i, so i couldn't say anything, but based on what you said " Maybe it is the mids that made them seem incomplete. I can't explain what it was but they seemed to have something missing in the sound ", i just quote this review, that  oletrain104 compare HE-400i vs HE-400 :

" Mid : My favorite part of this headphone. The 400i has wonderfully intimate vocals, with airiness and texture again trumping the 400, and any other can that I've heard (though my experience is limited to HE-400, Sennheiser HD650, HD700, Momentums, and B&O H6). The vocals sound very realistic. The voices are not thinner and treble-based like the 400, and are a nice balance of mids and treble. "

So. IMO the 400i will be good for you. I'm using the HE-400 and listen to the music you posted, and it seem to be fine for me ( Maybe because of my limited listening experience ).

Hope it helps.

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 5
Those will definitely remain on my radar! I'm trying to move away from HiFiMan simply because the ear-pads never felt quite right with my ears. No matter what adjustments I made the pads would always touch the tip of my ears and started to drive me insane (I still could manage to wear them for 2-3 hours before needing a break) but honestly for the sound that these seem to make, I could handle the touching.

Thanks for the link as well!

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #4 of 5

. . . (all of which seem to be more melodic than fast paced) and I game quite a lot so the headphones will need to be decent for gaming (primarily rpgs, real time strategy, and some fps).

. . .Not to worried about bass impact, but I do want there to be some bass extension where one can tell it is there.

Would also love to avoid fatiguing highs . . .

Seems to me that mids are definitely important to my ears after how laid back and hidden they seemed in the HE400

Sennheiser HD 598 - works great with melodic music, wide soundstage, non-fatiguing highs, accommodates even large head sizes, engaging mids

If I were distributing 9 rpg-like skill points for the HD 598, it would be as follows: bass - 2, mids - 4, treble - 3

The Beyerdynamic studio headphone is more neutral and falls victim to the complaint of being boring

HD 600, well . . . see comparison between HD 598 and HD 600 -  http://www.headfonia.com/hd600-and-hd598-comparison/

Sep 6, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 5
598's have been in my mind for a while but they from all I've read their bass seems to be a bit on the weaker side. Impact isn't a huge deal for me but I feel it'll be nicer to have the little extra bass the HD600 adds to the sound signature. I might order a pair of these with whatever I end up with just in case! Thanks!

I should have added that being able to change/remove the cable as well as little abilities to mod here and there (such as grill mods) are definitely selling points on headphones for me! I've noticed nice changes in my home stereo system when I upgraded the wires and I plan on doing the same to the pair I get (another reason why I think I should avoid the DT series headphones)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back